Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ranged Warden help

Kelron

So I had fun leveling up my Ranger and I wanted to go Ranged Warden mostly. The only builds I see are for melee warden. I am completely new and it's bit overwhelming so I'm not sure what direction to go as far as discs are concerned. With my talents I grabbed most of the ranged ones besides ankle shot, and grabbed a few melee as well for when someone gets in close. Anyone have a suggestion? 

Edited by Kelron

I find it alarming that nobody has responded to this. I found this shortly after it was posted and thought - yeah, I want to know about this too!   . . . *crickets*

Doing a Google search, I've found a few YouTube videos about Wardens that probably aren't worth linking here since they're from earlier versions of the game (mostly pre-launch) and they contradict one another enough that I don't know what to think. [Half-elves are the best / Half-elves are the worst . . .]

I will say that I've tried playing a Human Templar Paladin (underwhelming), a Stoneborn Knight Sentinel (decent), a Minotaur Myrmidon Conqueror (big fun) and now a half-elf Ranger Warden. I have no idea what I'm doing. But I have to say Ranger Warden is the most fun I've had yet.

I especially like the Sweep -> Disengage combo that attacks and then bounces you backwards from melee to ranged - arrows at the ready.

But really I'm still just experimenting. Maybe once I've found a build I like I'll come back and post something titled THIS is the ONLY viable build for Ranger Wardens! Ankle-Shot is the MOST IMPORTANT Talent!!

If that doesn't get some input on this then this forum really is dead.

Edited by daedahl

55 minutes ago, daedahl said:

I find it alarming that nobody has responded to this. I found this shortly after it was posted and thought - yeah, I want to know about this too!   . . . *crickets*

Doing a Google search, I've found a few YouTube videos about Wardens that probably aren't worth linking here since they're from earlier versions of the game (mostly pre-launch) and they contradict one another enough that I don't know what to think. [Half-elves are the best / Half-elves are the worst . . .]

I will say that I've tried playing a Human Templar Paladin (underwhelming), a Stoneborn Knight Sentinel (decent), a Minotaur Myrmidon Conqueror (big fun) and now a half-elf Ranger Warden. I have no idea what I'm doing. But I have to say Ranger Warden is the most fun I've had yet.

I especially like the Sweep -> Disengage combo that attacks and then bounces you backwards from melee to ranged - arrows at the ready.

But really I'm still just experimenting. Maybe once I've found a build I like I'll come back and post something titled THIS is the ONLY viable build for Ranger Wardens! Ankle-Shot is the MOST IMPORTANT Talent!!

If that doesn't get some input on this then this forum really is dead.

Yea I was a bit disappointed, but oh well. I ended up going with Dead Eye and Corrupted Soul so I had an extra point to put into Ankle Shot. I wasn't sure if it was much help since you have to get 3 shots off before it takes effect, and a lot of times I have to switch to melee before that happens and pop the sweep. I agree that skill is pretty fun. I was able to bind the hotbar switch to my mouse so it's super quick and fluid to switch in and out of range and melee.

I also started a Confessor and have been having fun with that. I turned him into my grinder since he has crazy AoE, and use the Ranger to PvP/craft.

Edited by Kelron

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry no one else has chimed in but look up Lupi on youtube. He has some good warden (and brigand) footage. He recently posted a disease warden build and it's pretty cool. I've recently swapped to brigand just because I prefer being able to stealth and see stealth but there are definitely still some good wardens out there. Rufio (youtube him) just posted a warden 1v5 yesterday for example. He died but took 4 of them with him.

The cookie cutter disc comp for warden used to be lord of forest and corrupted soul for majors and minors were the +bleed and +fire damage to traps discs and maybe a hunter or the faery fire trap minor if you have access to 3 minors but I'm not 100 pct sure if that has changed in 7.0. The fun thing about Crowfall is there really isn't a 1 best build for any particular profession - you build them differently based on what you plan to do with him. Like if you want to grind gold it makes sense to stack AOE discs like barbed stake etc. If you want to roam and PvP solo you would build him differently. If you want to do small group PvP you'd again spec him slightly differently. Same with large scale PvP etc. What kind of content do you think you'll be engaging in the most with your warden?

https://crowcaine.wiki/builds/new?class=ranger&race=half-elf&talents=a1-b1-b2-c1-c2-c3-e1-e3-f3-h1-i2-j3-j4-k2-l5&majors=corrupted-soul--lord-of-the-forest&minors=explosive-trap--faerie-trap--serrated-trap

Just to add the cookie cutter build. I play a wood elf and I always took forest step to teleport to enemies and slow them but many choose to skip it. Again, kind of depends what you are going to use him for.

On 8/11/2021 at 8:39 PM, daedahl said:

People are reticent to share build information that grants their enemies/targets an advantage in combat. I'm honestly more shocked that people in other games share such detailed and comprehensive information than I am that people in this game tend not to.

LMAO my website is broken please click this to apply to Flames of Exile (maybe, if that's not busted too)

On 5/11/2015 at 1:48 PM, CAWCAWCAW said:

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

10 hours ago, CoolHands said:

https://crowcaine.wiki/builds/new?class=ranger&race=half-elf&talents=a1-b1-b2-c1-c2-c3-e1-e3-f3-h1-i2-j3-j4-k2-l5&majors=corrupted-soul--lord-of-the-forest&minors=explosive-trap--faerie-trap--serrated-trap

Just to add the cookie cutter build. I play a wood elf and I always took forest step to teleport to enemies and slow them but many choose to skip it. Again, kind of depends what you are going to use him for.

you get bleed from steel traps passive in warden line. id run hunter instead of serrated so you can actually run down stealthers. the faerie fire proc off traps gets cleansed after rats/stealthers use their ult stealth so it's pretty useless for stealth detection there(another change you can do is get the faerie fire passive in talent, run toxic trap for black mantle procs and remove cleansing from talent)

with warden the build is very flexible based on group size or solo. lots of time when I play in a group I drop corrupted soul for another defensive major such as thorny warrior or freedom fighter(since im human)

Ranged ... warden, so a grenadier? You could play the max range build pelting traps (they are basically grenades with trap master active) from max range.

If you decide to go elemental damage (cuz why not, the only physical damage you get off traps is bleed anyway) you can take arcane archer for [arcane arrow] to reduce enemy elemental armor. It's around a 15sec debuff with a 24sec cd. Using an ice or fire quiver will turn your [barrage] and [rapid fire] damage into the respective element. Add in sharpshooter for more range and more damage when no one is near you.

The minors would be sun and elf heritage for range and damage. Explosive trap adds a bit more elemental damage with 16 sec burn. Finally hunter just cuz you can. It's anti stealth and more ap. You could go toxic trap but hunter is just better utility IMHO.

You can actually not choose a domain with this because all your discs would be from being a ranger. If you go dark you could go windlord for the movement speed, but doesn't fit the "max range" idea of being out of visible range. There is also serrated trap but you get that as a passive already. Faerie fire and faerie trap wouldn't really add to your build being elemental and you already have hunter anyway. Dark is more for those that play "in the fight" than "max range".

https://crowcaine.wiki/builds/new?class=ranger&race=half-elf&talents=a1-b1-b2-c1-c2-c3-d2-e1-e3-f1-g1-h1-i2-j3-j4&majors=arcane-archer--sharpshooter&minors=explosive-trap--hunter--moon-elf-heritage--sun-elf-heritage Didn't take a toll is a toll because you don't use 5 of the 7 stats on the bundle. It's a weird build, but it's "something".

For gear you can take the bow with inc distance cap crafted for fire penetration. Pair that with a fire quiver and a fire damage bonus chest piece. Why fire? [Concussive trap] does fire damage explosion on activation + fire damage dot.

13 hours ago, Wanini said:

Ranged ... warden, so a grenadier? You could play the max range build pelting traps (they are basically grenades with trap master active) from max range.

If you decide to go elemental damage (cuz why not, the only physical damage you get off traps is bleed anyway) you can take arcane archer for [arcane arrow] to reduce enemy elemental armor. It's around a 15sec debuff with a 24sec cd. Using an ice or fire quiver will turn your [barrage] and [rapid fire] damage into the respective element. Add in sharpshooter for more range and more damage when no one is near you.

The minors would be sun and elf heritage for range and damage. Explosive trap adds a bit more elemental damage with 16 sec burn. Finally hunter just cuz you can. It's anti stealth and more ap. You could go toxic trap but hunter is just better utility IMHO.

You can actually not choose a domain with this because all your discs would be from being a ranger. If you go dark you could go windlord for the movement speed, but doesn't fit the "max range" idea of being out of visible range. There is also serrated trap but you get that as a passive already. Faerie fire and faerie trap wouldn't really add to your build being elemental and you already have hunter anyway. Dark is more for those that play "in the fight" than "max range".

https://crowcaine.wiki/builds/new?class=ranger&race=half-elf&talents=a1-b1-b2-c1-c2-c3-d2-e1-e3-f1-g1-h1-i2-j3-j4&majors=arcane-archer--sharpshooter&minors=explosive-trap--hunter--moon-elf-heritage--sun-elf-heritage Didn't take a toll is a toll because you don't use 5 of the 7 stats on the bundle. It's a weird build, but it's "something".

For gear you can take the bow with inc distance cap crafted for fire penetration. Pair that with a fire quiver and a fire damage bonus chest piece. Why fire? [Concussive trap] does fire damage explosion on activation + fire damage dot.

I found this very helpful Wanini. I hadn't even realized wardens could run quivers. Thought it was archer only and I was wrong so thank you! What are your thoughts on running +crushing quiver/gear due to the stun on hit?

Edited by CoolHands

21 minutes ago, CoolHands said:

I found this very helpful Wanini. I hadn't even realized wardens could run quivers. Thought it was archer only and I was wrong so thank you! What are your thoughts on running +crushing quiver/gear due to the stun on hit?

It's from arcane archer major. The elemental ones at least. It's a mini stun (0.5 sec I believe)  AND you need a 95+ % charge on the 3RD basic attack. That means ~3 (~2 if you are running spellbound bow + stalker quiver) sec to charge your 3rd attack. I can't really recommend it on a warden specifically because wardens want the highest amount of hits done possible to trigger the auto trap from trap master. Now if you ever wonder "why even have a stun if it's that short" it for stopping combo skills. [Disengage] for example is a combo skill that requires u to use [sweep] 1st before [disengage] becomes available to use. If you stun after [skill A] then he can't use [skill B] cuz you broke the combo with your stun.

If you just want to convert your damage into crushing then yeah go for it.

Quivers

• piercing - bleed
  • slashing - execute
  • crushing - mini stun
  • ice - root (really long root) + ice dot
  • fire - fire dot (I don't know what this is for. The bleed on piercing does way more damage)
Edited by Wanini