Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Reaction To "Why Hardcore Full Loot PVP MMO's Fail"

ZYBAK

My reaction to the video "Why Hardcore Full Loot PvP MMO's Fail". Overall I thought he made a great video on the state of the genre as a whole. However I'm fairly confident Crowfall isn't stepping in the exact same traps many of its predecessors have.

Josh's Video:

https://youtu.be/34RPwDfLpKg

Unless I missed something, you really didn't get to the subject matter until 6 mins in which... just... dude. :(

You said that he goes on to talk about how many of these hardcore games suffer from players just quitting after they face a loss. You stated that this is something you think Crowfall does very well.

You are correct. Crowfall does an excellent job of driving players away. 

It does so by making both gear disparity and grind grossly apparent early on, but it gives no clear or useful direction on how players can relatively easily close that gap. This conversation can be found in many threads here, so I'll just fill in both parts to save the back and forth. 

"Yeah, but if they just get in a guild..."

Agreed. Being in a guild helps tremendously. One would think the new player funnel would have prioritized helping players do that. 

"Yeah, All they need is their blue x and purple y..."

For someone that knows how and where to get it, you are correct. Most new players are in the dark about that, especially on the crafting/harvesting front.

"They can just buy it. You can make 80gazzilion gold in..."

If they have the right gear, and if they know how to farm the spot, and if they don't have others competing for the space, and if they are not being attacked, then yes. Well, that's also if they want to play "Load the Server Online" EK hopping to find it. 

"They can just use Discord to..."

The amount of unnecessary and external hoops a player must jump through (or even know about) just to be competent in this game is why those early battles drive people away.  

You are correct to say that Crowfall isn't stepping in the exact same traps many of its predecessors have. By way of obfuscation, overcomplication, and lack of documentation, ArtCraft has found all new ways to drive people away from what, IMO, is a pretty good game at its core in both existing gameplay and potential. 

Edited by BucDen

30 minutes ago, BucDen said:

Unless I missed something, you really didn't get to the subject matter until 6 mins in which... just... dude. :(

A large part of his video was talking about the financial realities of creating a niche game and the overall gaming landscape. 

3 minutes ago, ZYBAK said:

A large part of his video was talking about the financial realities of creating a niche game and the overall gaming landscape. 

Ok, makes more sense now. :)