Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

02/27/15 - Distribution/hosting Outside Of North America For Crowfall

Tyrant

i have some questions with regards to servers.

If I understand, EK is one large server that holds all player's kingdom.

Campaign's are servers with different rulsets. If this is the case, can't Campaign's also be localize server, e.g. For the FFA ruleset, total of 4 servers are created, 2 servers will be base in US, 1 server base in EU, and the 4th server base in Singapore for Oceanic region including the asean countries.

Than after the Campaign, players from all 4 servers will go back to the master server base in US where all the player's kingdoms are located.

Will this scenario work for Crowfall?

The way I understand it is,  The EKS's will be based on whatever server you choose as your home server.  The campaign servers you will be able to pick whatever server in the world you want to do the campaign on.  If I decide  (I live in USA) to do a campaign with my euro friends on a euro server, I can.

I am thinking we can visit back and forth on campaigns and Ek's from server to server.  Least I hope so.

Edited by nakawe

Would love to see an Australian server! We poor Aussies always suffer massive ping issue sitting so far down under.  :unsure:

decoygaming.com.au might be an option to make us "down under" happy 

It has been my experience that an east coast server accommodates our multi national guild better then a west coast server.  At minimum please consider having the servers on the east coast.  The guys from Europe will experience a much better ping on east coast servers, then if it was on west coast.

This has been my experience on other services I've run also.

Now that the European servers are a go, what is the stance on this? As an Australian player, West Coast servers really verge on the minimum requirements for an MMO, with them becoming tighter or looser based on game mechanics, netcode, routing etc.

I'm really loving the look of Crowfall, and while I am eager to raise my pledge from the basic, I am also apprehensive in doing so due to my experience with other international, action based MMOs. TERA, as an example, had international/Australian players firing significantly less auto attacks of the faster attacking class (sorcerer/archer) compared to locals/Americans, leaving only the slower attacking classes 'competitive' across the latency gap. I also recall seeing videos of players sitting in one spot, while a 'lagger' beats on them, doing zero damage, and having the non-lagger pop up behind them seconds later, however I was unable to find any videos. (disclaimer: some of the videos are old, and things may have improved since).

Wildstar was another good example of a modern action based MMO, and although I personally was able to adjust and do content (excluding raids) without too much difficulty, PvP was another ball game. Sure, the base mechanics for PvP were not all that great to begin with, however it was straight up painful playing melee with high latency (even with some of the larger arcs), and some of the more precise ranged attacks were incredibly tricky to use, again, leaving only a few classes viable (mostly Medic/Engineer). 

Latency can be adapted to, and is in fact a staple for the Australian MMO player if they want to succeed, however having somewhat 'latency-friendly' mechanics, solid net code, and an as low as possible initial latency goes a long way, especially in the unscripted, non-pattern orientated world of PvP. I mean, there is definitely no perfect fix to trans-atlantic latency, and you will never have a 1:1 experience between 50ms and 250ms, but there is definitely a line between playable or bearable, and straight up frustrating, broken, or unplayable. 

Cheers.

@Jager, I am hoping they have a server on east and west coast.  With the ability to join any server worldwide for campaigns, it would only make sense to put various servers around the world to enhance everyone's game play.

Australian player here who upon kickstarter finishing will have an Amber backing title would really appreciate low latency servers in our area. Very few MMO's have made the bridge overseas (WOW & LoL are examples) and it makes an extremely huge difference.

I firmly believe Wildstar made a very horrible decision with it's overseas decision to wait at the start. The game was all telegraph based action combat similar to Crowfall and it failed terribly in Australia due to latency issues. As a stalker (tank/rogue class) I would have to physically be infront of an opponent in pvp to backstab. Similarly, when I would try to tank in an instance I would not be able to dodge in time due to latency. Sadly Oceanic players quit in troves and never resubed due to this issue and we all know how Wildstar is doing now.\

Most Australian's are still on copper lines, playing with ADSL 2+ and a small majority are on a broadband connection. The closer these servers are the better! Please remember us Aussies :)

Edited by Lethargic

Australian player here who upon kickstarter finishing will have an Amber backing title would really appreciate low latency servers in our area. Very few MMO's have made the bridge overseas (WOW & LoL are examples) and it makes an extremely huge difference.

I firmly believe Wildstar made a very horrible decision with it's overseas decision to wait at the start. The game was all telegraph based action combat similar to Crowfall and it failed terribly in Australia due to latency issues. As a stalker (tank/rogue class) I would have to physically be infront of an opponent in pvp to backstab. Similarly, when I would try to tank in an instance I would not be able to dodge in time due to latency. Sadly Oceanic players quit in troves and never resubed due to this issue and we all know how Wildstar is doing now.\

Most Australian's are still on copper lines, playing with ADSL 2+ and a small majority are on a broadband connection. The closer these servers are the better! Please remember us Aussies :)

To be fair, everyone quit that game in troves.  Ping is a huge issue and I hope they can address this by having multiple servers around the world.

We just put up the payment options for our overseas customers. http://crowfall.com/#/payment

Let us know over in the PayPal thread if you notice any issues with it.

Thanks!

Gordon Walton, ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.  [Rules of Conduct]

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

We just put up the payment options for our overseas customers. http://crowfall.com/#/payment

Let us know over in the PayPal thread if you notice any issues with it.

Thanks!

We're working through some issues with this, will post again when it's finally working correctly!

Generally the cost of servers/hosting is to high in Australia.  Only games with great financing/income choose to have servers there.

etDenA9.png
Camaraderie ~ Loyalty ~ Honor ~ Maturity ~ Integrity ~ Duty

Generally the cost of servers/hosting is to high in Australia.  Only games with great financing/income choose to have servers there.

While this statement is not untrue, there are other factors that contribute to the 'success' or 'failings' of an Australian/Oceanic server, which ultimately determines how 'worthwhile' financing one is. As Lethargic pointed out, NCSoft and Wildstar made a critical mistake by playing the 'wait and see' game. Sure, lots of players left Wildstar, but SWTOR is another example. They went ahead and financed servers at a later date (yay team!) but so far into the cycle that Australian players had adapted to the latency, made friends and formed bonds with NA players/guilds. In turn, instead of it being a case of "We should have implimented them sooner", it was a case of "We did you Australians a favour, gave you a server, then you didn't use it",

Both statements are very different outlooks and ideologies, and lead to significantly different choices in the future, not just for one team, but all. Sure, WoW is a giant, but with any luck, having the 'King of MMOs' having Australian servers, others will follow suit, although as you pointed out, the statement changes from "WoW is popular and doesn't even do it" to "WoW does it, but it is a game with great financing/income, so of course it can do it!" The ideology is always to have maximum profit margins, and not take risk on a (perceived) minute market, the reasons to justify it just change. Now, I'm not faulting anyone, because business is business, and the reality is that you can't spend 1 billion dollars if you only have 1 million dollar, but toxic and static ideology does not lead to progress.

Now, with all that said, I do acknowledge that the team is small, that finances, especially at this stage, are going purely into making the game, and that the Australian market is hard to cater for when you consider all the factors, but I don't think any (reasonable) Australian player expects local servers at this point, despite how nice it would be. As I stated, action based games like these have minimal requirements for Australian players outside of system specifications. Unless there is some serious latency-friendly mechanics, servers on the East Coast will result in the game being unplayable. Centralised(ish) servers in Texas (where a lot of 'smaller' MMO games host their servers) will result in the game being unplayable. West Coast servers are, hopefully with good netcode and latency-friendly'ish mechanics, a minimum requirement for an Australian player with an action based game like this. (although this can be woeful with some ISP routing)

As I said, I'm pretty keen on Crowfall, and I think, with the right marketting (which rarely happens in Australia) it could be a pretty significant release, especially with its genre bordering on a large-scale MOBA (one of the largest player drawing genres of the last decade). I will still pledge, but I would be willing to pledge (significantly) more if I knew, just as the European players have said in this thread, that there were going to be servers available at launch that didn't leave me, my friends, or my community at a significant disadvantage. Again, they don't have to be Australian/Oceanic servers, although that would be nice.

Edited by Jager

While this statement is not untrue, there are other factors that contribute to the 'success' or 'failings' of an Australian/Oceanic server, which ultimately determines how 'worthwhile' financing one is. As Lethargic pointed out, NCSoft and Wildstar made a critical mistake by playing the 'wait and see' game. Sure, lots of players left Wildstar, but SWTOR is another example. They went ahead and financed servers at a later date (yay team!) but so far into the cycle that Australian players had adapted to the latency, made friends and formed bonds with NA players/guilds. In turn, instead of it being a case of "We should have implimented them sooner", it was a case of "We gave you Australians a server, then you didn't use it",

I'll acknowledge that the team is small, and that the Australian market is hard to cater for, considering costs and that fact that there is almost no data on how many Australians have pledged, or will play when the game releases, but I don't think any (reasonable) Australian player expects locals server, despite how nice it would be. As I stated, action based games like these have minimal requirements for Australian players. Unless there is some serious latency-friendly mechanics, servers on the East Coast will result in the game being unplayable. Centralised(ish) servers in Texas (where a lot of 'smaller' MMO games host their servers) will result in the game being unplayable. West Coast servers are, hopefully with good netcode and latency-friendly'ish mechanics, a minimum requirement for an Australian player with an action based game like this.

As I said, I'm pretty keen on Crowfall, and I think, with the right marketting (which rarely happens in Australia) it could be a pretty significant release, especially with its genre bordering on a large-scale MOBA (one of the largest player drawing genres of the last decade). I will still pledge, but I would be willing to pledge (significantly) more if I knew, just as the European players have said in this thread, that there were going to be servers available at launch that didn't leave me, my friends, or my community at a significant disadvantage. Again, they don't have to be Australian/Oceanic servers, although that would be nice.

I am sure with the announcement of having European servers, they will most likely shaft the east coast players, like most game companies do.  Hence, I am sure you will have a west coast server.  BTW, Texas is far closer to west Coast then the east Coast.  I fully expect to have 180+ ping where I live in Maine. 

I am sure with the announcement of having European servers, they will most likely shaft the east coast players, like most game companies do.  Hence, I am sure you will have a west coast server.  BTW, Texas is far closer to west Coast then the east Coast.  I fully expect to have 180+ ping where I live in Maine. 

It's way too early to know exactly where our servers will be located, but most of the services I've run in the past had servers in multiple geographic locations.

It's way too early to know exactly where our servers will be located, but most of the services I've run in the past had servers in multiple geographic locations.

If you stick to one NA location, Chicago is better for most players I think in terms of distance and decent ping. Much better than Texas.

...  BTW, Texas is far closer to west Coast then the east Coast...

Yeah I noticed this. Despite not living in NA, I made sure to check a map before making wild, uninformed, and unfounded allegations. I know, I'm crazy like that, given that this is the internet, and there is no place for research or logic! I have however noticed that A LOT of companies default their NA servers to Dallas, Texas, and as I mentioned before, playing games like Wildstar with their servers in that location, can be incredibly painful for the Australian community. You can definitely adapt, and many of us have, and will. Unfortunately I can not speak for players from NA in this regard, because I simply haven't had that experience.

I completely understand this, and at this stage, definitely expect no certainties, nor do I want vague promises that you may or may not be able to deliver. I guess the biggest issue, and likely one not even you, or your team could answer at this stage, is just how much latency will affect the game. Obviously low latency is ideal, but I have managed to play other MMOs, such as Wildstar and FFXIV, at a pretty decent level despite the higher latency. Similarly I have adjusted for latency in League of Legends, although MOBAs are a different ball game, and my latency was always <200 without any tunnels etc. That said, PvP has acted very differently to PvE in Wildstar and other MMOs (out of range issues), and I'm hoping similar issues don't occur in Crowfall (again, another thing you guys won't know at this stage, although perhaps something you can plan for).

I think at the end of the day, you guys are making a pretty unique and innovative product, so I will up my pledge anyway in support of that, just as I supported Shadows of Mordor with it's innovative system, and hope things work out well with the eventual, full release. Who knows, we might get lucky and you'll pull something off that results in an Australian, OCE, or SEA set of servers. :)

Edited by Jager

Yeah... okay... so you need a local server in Aus/NZ due to latency?

How bad would it be for Aus/NZ players if you don't have a server here and we play on NA servers?

Also - who would you partner with in this case? 

Yes. We need a server. 

Here's a list of pings to north america from 14 ms out of Sydney- they're not playable to any enjoyable degree, let alone a competitive one...

Washington DC - 283 ms

Vancouver - 217 ms

San Antonio - 297 ms

Miami - 282

Europe is out of the question for us.

London - 691 ms

Munich - 490 ms

Putting a server in singapore won't be ideal either. 

Singapore - 209 ms.

The only solution is a server located IN Australia.

(If you marketed yourselves as an MMO that has aussie servers, you could make a killing - very few MMOs do, and we're certainly interested.)

Yes. We need a server. 

Here's a list of pings to north america from 14 ms out of Sydney- they're not playable to any enjoyable degree, let alone a competitive one...

Washington DC - 283 ms

Vancouver - 217 ms

San Antonio - 297 ms

Miami - 282

Europe is out of the question for us.

London - 691 ms

Munich - 490 ms

Putting a server in singapore won't be ideal either. 

Singapore - 209 ms.

The only solution is a server located IN Australia.

(If you marketed yourselves as an MMO that has aussie servers, you could make a killing - very few MMOs do, and we're certainly interested.)

maybe a Hawaii server what is your ping to there?