Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tyrant

02/27/15 - Distribution/hosting Outside Of North America For Crowfall

We'll have European servers at launch.  And I'm working to make sure they are localized too. 

How about having a chat with Chris Roberts. He is looking at using Google "cloud" data centers, world wide. This would give most counties a local sign on with the option of playing locally or with friends from different parts of the world, still with some latency I'll admit.

We're working through some issues with this, will post again when it's finally working correctly!

We now have PayPal working worldwide, though North America is not open for a few more days.

The link for overseas customers who cannot use Kickstarter is crowfall.com/#/payment

Gordon Walton, ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.  [Rules of Conduct]

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

We achieved our stretch goal for community localization and European servers.

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/3332-paypal-coming-particularly-for-our-european-customers/?p=147357

But will there be non-localized European servers?

Just plain English servers, same as the American ones, simply located somewhere in Europe for better latency?

nah, we actually want quality, sorry

shots fired

GWH5xXf.jpg?1

,,...You get killed over and over again, that doesn't mean the game is unbalanced - it means that You are a bad player" -JTC

You guys should talk with Aventurine in Greece. They could use the extra money and I'm sure they will try their best. 

From my experience most Dutch people have no issues with speaking English whatsoever. The amount of people that speak Dutch is also relatively small so I would definitely not focus on it. I personally prefer to speak English over my primary language (Dutch).

What surprises me however is that it isn't certain that there will be European servers considering that the Europeans will definitely be a considerable amount of the playerbase. I understand that it requires a whole lot more resources but still.

I can confirm this, I play EVE Online at odd hours of the day and there are far more Europian players in that game than United States players.  I go on public roams on a regular basis and I chat on Teamspeak with people from all over Europe, I find that pretty much everyone I've met on there except a minority of people from the Balkans and Russia can speak and read fluent English.

My hubris is the size of a 2 by 4 nailed to the side of a YF-12 jet barrel rolling into a volcano piloted by a Tyrannosaurus Rex.

I can confirm this, I play EVE Online at odd hours of the day and there are far more Europian players in that game than United States players.  I go on public roams on a regular basis and I chat on Teamspeak with people from all over Europe, I find that pretty much everyone I've met on there except a minority of people from the Balkans and Russia can speak and read fluent English.

Yeah the amount of Europeans that are into MMO's such as this one and don't speak english is a very small minority I'd say, especially if you're looking at the very basic level English required for navigating menu's and stuff.

Member of The BlackHand Order

Okay, a few cents for the AP region.

Choice of server location: Its tricky. Putting it in Australia means everyone else has to endure their prehistoric internet. Putting it in Hong Kong, Taiwan, or South Korea, despite their generally excellent infrastructure, is still too far from Australia (and you need to work around some laws for the later two). To me I would suggest one cluster around S'pore, intended for Malaysia, S'pore and Aussies and Kiwis, and one in Hong Kong, intended for Hong Kong, China, Taiwan, South Korea and Japan.

Market survivability of PVP games is generally good in the region, with a few quirks. Aussies and Kiwis aren't much different from the rest of the American empire; Singapore and Malaysia in general seems to be the problem of finding enough players rather than the right genre. Same for Hong Kong, though the gamer population is dwindling at an alarming rate.

Not the same for China: they love PVP, but they even love winning, fair or unfair, and Crowfall will have a lot to learn from EVE here: the game can be fair on a head to head basis, but it must be able to let people who love to play to win by splashing money on armies. You should allow people to pay tens of thousands just to outfit armies and steamroll their archenemies...

South Koreans. They are somewhere in between China and Europe: They still love to win, but would rather win fair and square. Skills not US$ should be awarded. So at the end of the day you will need to strike some kind of balance between P2W and Skill2W. Also, they seems to hold a grudge with China, and if not available, Japan.

Japan isn't that big for PVP honestly. PVE and gaming the system seems to be the trend, and they have a poor track record on accommodating Chinese or Korean players.

Finally, Taiwan. If a significant number can be drawn into the game, they will tend to ally themselves with the Japanese, to balance things out and to provide some form of muscle. They are still Chinese in some sense, and quite so in terms of gaming.

Challenges:

1. Payment options. Please, don't stop at paypal and say "its okay for everyone". By all means, find a way to use Alipay inside China legitimately. Similarly, you need to engage into local payment options in South Korea and Japan (their banking system is notoriously insular - even Visa + Master isn't that popular).

If you get East Asia involved you basically will stop worrying about cash for some time.

2. Language. Unlike Europe, you SHOULD think of Chinese, Japanese and Korean translations immediately. I say THINK of because even you may not really care about this side of the world, you will save yourselves a lot of time when you start expanding here. Don't lag in i18n like the Japanese!

3. Local agents: Simply put, don't bother. No one is going to do you a decent service here. Start a company in Hong Kong if you need an East Asian server, and do all your business offshore. And there are enough Korean & Japanese speakers finding jobs here.

New European payment methods that just went live this evening:

VISA Debit
VISA Electron
Mastercard Debit
Maestro
Carte Bleue

With Currencies:

EUR: Austria, Belgium, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain
DKK: Denmark
NOK: Norway
SEK: Sweden
GBP: United Kingdom
CHF: Switzerland

additionally Paypal is being enabled in more European countries in local currencies as well as USD

I hope folks pass this info along!

We've added more payment methods, primarily in Europe and the Americas, as of Friday.

If you see an "unexpected error" contact us at support@artcraftent.com.  If you get an error like this:

"Your purchase failed to complete successfully. Please contact our billing support team for assistance at http://payplussupport.livegamer.com ", you must contact LiveGamer, as we don't have access to all the information on the transaction at ArtCraft.

Added payment methods include:

Sofortüberweisung                                              Germany, Austria

Sofort DIRECTebanking                                       Belgium, Netherlands, France, Italy

Giropay                                                                 Germany

iDEAL                                                                     Netherlands

ING Homepay                                                      Belgium

CBC Online                                                          Belgium

KBC Online                                                           Belgium

Belfius DirectNet                                                 Belgium

Paysafe                                                                  All

Skrill                                                  All EU

Bancontact / Mister Cash                                  Belgium

LATAM

Visa, MasterCard, American Express (local card acquiring to increase acceptance rates and remove cross-border fees)       Brazil

Boleto Bancario                                                     Brazil

WebPay                                               Chilie

Todito                                                                       Mexico

For example, this is what you would now see for Germany when starting to purchase:

pasted_image_at_2015_05_23_09_56_am.png