Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tyrant

02/27/15 - Distribution/hosting Outside Of North America For Crowfall

@Gordon, the latency is just matter of milliseconds - so ACE don't need to worry about an EU server. I think most EU players will play on the NA server anyway, because so many old EU guilds have NA players and vice versa.
I've no issues playing with (180-200) pings on a NA server related to FPS games.
I think a server near Australia/Asia is more important, because they might have over 300+ pings - then it might become an issue.

Personally i want to keep it as close to 100 as possible.

200 ping means 0.2 seconds delay, its too much for me

Guys, FYI:

IIRC, Both Germany and France have laws that explicitely dictates that part of your services HAVE to be in the respective language, if the service is concerning applicable law of the respective nation.

So there is a minimum amount of translation needed.

Edited by Angier

IIRC, Both Germany and France have laws that explicitely dictates that part of your services HAVE to be in the respective language, ...

There is certainly no law that restricts you from selling games in Germany with no translation. Happens all the time, look at Steam. Most games don't have a German translation, yet we can buy them.

This would suck big time if there was such a law.

@Gordon, the latency is just matter of milliseconds - so ACE don't need to worry about an EU server. I think most EU players will play on the NA server anyway, because so many old EU guilds have NA players and vice versa.
I've no issues playing with (180-200) pings on a NA server related to FPS games.
I think a server near Australia/Asia is more important, because they might have over 300+ pings - then it might become an issue.

160/200 ping in action oriented combat is very annoying. Good for you if you have no issues playing FPS with a ping of 200ms but it is not a comfortable ping at all.

Don't choses prosieben games ... for german setup/eu.

Their Support is lackluster and they tent to favor pay-to-win transactions for kids with a lose wallet (parents).

Not the market one wants to go with this game...

Ohters hmm ...

In the past few days I've talked with a bunch of potential european players (I am running the biggest italian community for Crowfall on a notorious mmorpg news site) who didn't back the kickstarter because they're afraid of publishers (I personally spent 'only' 30$ for the same reasons) . You really have no idea what we've been up to the past few years.

Keeping in mind your UNIVERSE idea for Crowfall, you should really weigh the option of making ONE network of shards for EU and NA players. It's not like we're asking to play on the same servers (of course for ping issues we need our own).. what we're asking is the ability to move from one server to the other FREELY and without changing account/characters, the ability to share Eternal Kingdoms. Trust me you don't want to split up the communities, that has been one big reason for Darkfall failure.

This is only possible if Artcraft manages to publish and manage servers in Europe themselves (through the help of some european server hosters). It isn't impossible, many mmorpgs and companies did it before. If you put up a stretch goal for that, europeans backing will double at least. POSTPONE the localization instead.

Edited by fenrisddevil

y9tj8G5.png

Honestly, slightly disturbing that you aren't guaranteeing an EU server.

If Aventurine, the people who publish Darkfall, can manage to put up an EU and NA server then I'm sorry - but I'm not really sure what your excuse is after we've thrown a million dollars at you.

This is entirely my fault for doing this, but I backed this game (for a lot of money) under the assumption that there would be at least a single EU server. This is 2015, not 1998.

Edited by xaine

I find this pretty discouraging, surely you plan to have servers in the EU as well as NA at a minimum. I put my money down under the assumption that was a forgone conclusion. If you are making a full loot action combat MMO you can't really expect people to play on servers with high latency.

Edited by branwulf

There is certainly no law that restricts you from selling games in Germany with no translation. Happens all the time, look at Steam. Most games don't have a German translation, yet we can buy them.

This would suck big time if there was such a law.

There actually is: You need to distribute the terms of services in the language of the nation you are offering the service in (both in Germany and France).

EDIT: this is of course a legalesic issue but nonetheless sth that needs taken care of. And something most publishers offer as part of the agreement.

Edited by Angier

I'm firmly in the "wait before I commit" corner. Having an EU server confirmed is a major factor before I part with my hard earned cash. A game of this nature at high ping rate would annoy the hell out of me!

I'm italian and i want an european server and i don't care at all about having the game translated to my language. I backed the project with 225 $ and i will not remove it even if we will not have eu server but i'm sure that many other europeans backers are thinking to remove their money if that will happen so choose wisely you next stretch goals (one should be Artcraft's EU server)

Se un uomo non è disposto a lottare per le proprie idee, o le sue idee non valgono nulla o non vale nulla lui. EZRA POUND

MEMENTO AUDERE SEMPER

Gordon, I live in Europe but I'm a member of a large international guild. We have members from SE Asia, Australia, Europe, North and South America. The largest % of our members live in the US and Canada. As such, all of our guild members would prefer to play on the same server located in North America.  Please implement Crowfall as much as possible to not overly punish folks with slow pings. (Ability Queues come to mind).

Thanks for your consideration,

Mac

This is definitely not my experience from previous games but perhaps it's true for this particular type of game audience.  Wouldn't that imply that the ability "English as a second language" is strongly correlated to the "PvP" or "Crafting" abilities?  :)

We're hoping the crowdfunding data gives us some indication of the potential demand and market size in the non-English speaking countries and regions for Crowfall.

When I'm on the internet, and of course that included MMOs, English is NOT my second language, it's my primary language. If you can design your network code and gameplay to minimize the impact of long distance ping, I would much prefer to play on a North American server AND use English. 

Please don't assume which language we prefer or where we would like the server(s) to be placed based only on where we live.  Use a Survey to ask us what language we prefer and if we would rather have a global server structure or a more localized structure.

I'm playing a game now that allows me to select the North American server (located in Dallas, TX) or the EU server (located in Amsterdam, NL) at each login. I have different characters on both servers. My typical ping to Amsterdam is ~ 50 ms and to Dallas ~ 140 ms. For an FPS style of game that extra 90 ms might matter a lot, for an MMO it probably doesn't. 

Thanks for listening / reading,

Mac

[EDIT] It's important to me that I can use ONE client and ONE account to access both the NA and EU servers. If the EU servers are hosted by a different company that would be problematic, no? 

Edited by BigMac

There actually is: You need to distribute the terms of services in the language of the nation you are offering the service in (both in Germany and France).

EDIT: this is of course a legalesic issue but nonetheless sth that needs taken care of. And something most publishers offer as part of the agreement.

Well I dont remember seeing a word anywhere in Hungarian when I was an EQ or a WoW subscriber for years. Yet I played on EU located servers.

Gordon, while I am very glad you are communicating on this topic, what you said was seriously disappointing, but I give it to you that my expectations were probably too high.  You say there *may* be an EU server at *some* point in time which will be run *maybe by ACE maybe by others*  and that the EU version of the game *might be more or less different* .  Well as much as I would love this game to happen,  now I have decided to withdraw my KS , but rest assured I will be following the development and will be the first to subscribe once you open the EU server.

Edited by Geebacsi

Sorry. I'm still slightly amazed that people think they're expecting too much by assuming we were going to get an EU server, like every other MMO released in the past 10 years.

Edited by xaine

As per usual: Do not spend on KS what you are not willing to risk loosing.

My particular case has nothing to do with that - I'm lucky enough to be financially stable enough to buy a Sapphire package without really blinking. I work full-time, don't have any kids etc.

However, I was doing that with some pretty basic assumptions - like this not being a tablet game, and it having a sever on my continent? 

I'm sure there will be an EU server at launch, but that fact they're not guaranteeing it is pretty odd.

ya, I personally don't see a need for localization either.

Translations are usually piss-poor anyway. At least I personally cannot stand to play a game in german, unless the game was made by germans. Really all the skill and item names just don't translate. it's cringeworthy.

I cannot speak for other languages.

So don't prioritize that pls. Offer a translation 1 year after your release. That is completely acceptable.

An EU server shouldn't be dependent on having your game in multiple languages. English is fine :)

I demand Finnish translation, just because its so amusing I can't stand it, everytime I take a look at the "lore part" of some item / skill in Dota 2 I burst into complete laughter, and the best past time between games is to read those stories and stuff in VOIP with your friends, that stuff just really cackles you up.

I suppose the point is in the year 2015 unless you're planning to distribute boxed copies (which pretty much forces you to provide translations in some countries) you could just keep the whole client in English and provide Europeans with servers, seriously if somebody from within EU can't speak the language in the world of today, they are only themselves to blame.

I'm sure there will be an EU server at launch, but that fact they're not guaranteeing it is pretty odd.

Guaranteeing it and then having to deal with a worst case scenario like "no publisher found, can't finance EU-Servers ourselves" is even dumber. They are just covering their behinds with such ambiguous statements ;)