Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tyrant

02/27/15 - Distribution/hosting Outside Of North America For Crowfall

And I am sure all Eu players are fine to play only in English if all the servers will be hosted by you

Yes, of course, right now our Russian bring to the OBT and all the chat will be scored "pendosnya ebanaya" well, or something like that.

I would rather you focus on your own EU severs before localization.

What good is a localized game if you can't play it properly. 

^^^ this

We are concerned about latency, and have heard this concern from others for a PvP centric game like ours.  This drives us to want servers closer in internet terms to players.

If we end up with ~10k early backers in the EU, we'll need to put a server there for the late betas.  The same would hold for Asia-Pacific/Aus/NZ, South America, Russia/Eastern Europe and/or China

Appreciate the feedback, keep it coming!

Yeah... okay... so you need a local server in Aus/NZ due to latency?

How bad would it be for Aus/NZ players if you don't have a server here and we play on NA servers?

Also - who would you partner with in this case? 

Guaranteeing it and then having to deal with a worst case scenario like "no publisher found, can't finance EU-Servers ourselves" is even dumber. They are just covering their behinds with such ambiguous statements ;)

Obviously. There is covering your arse by being intentionally ambiguous, then there is having a million dollars thrown at you in 4 days and suggesting you might not have the funds to rent a single EU server.

Hmmmm.

The feedback on lack of need for localization of the game is clear.  And it seems that localized customer service and community for the people here is low value.

Some people here say (and my experience says) that latency will be an issue in a competitive game like this, so it's hard to have one server for the whole world without a clear competitive disadvantage for players further away from the servers.

We are a *very* small company many times smaller than every game/company mentioned in this thread.  The money raised so far is to build the game and deploy it in North America, though access is worldwide for early backers.

We've committed to let every early backer play on our ArtCraft service ongoing (which will have at minimum North American servers).  If we can get enough customers in a region we can set up a regional server that all ArtCraft service people would have access too.

Please understand our current context and capabilities are not the same as the much, much larger MMO companies whose games you have played.  We are an upstart, trying to offer an alternative to the MMO's you have to play now.

Again, thank you for the honest feedback.

Gordon Walton, ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.  [Rules of Conduct]

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

We've committed to let every early backer play on our ArtCraft service ongoing (which will have at minimum North American servers).  If we can get enough customers in a region we can set up a regional server that all ArtCraft service people would have access too.

Suggestion: Make a stretch goal for european release.

I don't think anyone would mind for some months delay on EU release compared to the NA release.. if it's managed by Artcraft we could easily move our characters when said release happens (and we could just play the first campaigns on NA).

Asia and Russia (probably) will need localization, and you could sell rights to publishers there.

Edited by fenrisddevil

y9tj8G5.png

The feedback on lack of need for localization of the game is clear.  And it seems that localized customer service and community for the people here is low value.

Some people here say (and my experience says) that latency will be an issue in a competitive game like this, so it's hard to have one server for the whole world without a clear competitive disadvantage for players further away from the servers.

We are a *very* small company many times smaller than every game/company mentioned in this thread.  The money raised so far is to build the game and deploy it in North America, though access is worldwide for early backers.

Please understand our current context and capabilities are not the same as the much, much larger MMO companies whose games you have played.  We are an upstart, trying to offer an alternative to the MMO's you have to play now.

Thanks for the update Gordon.

Do you have any estimate (I know its probably to early) on how many backers/players will have to come from e.g Europe before you will consider setting up a server here? And if you have to run the servers yourselves will you add a stretchgoal on the current KS campaign for servers in the EU region or will you make a separate KS/Donation for this?

143R3yh.gif

I hope you guys get 5 millions so it will be easy. Europan market is pretty rewarding but one must first have money to start there. I completely understand your situation

While I understand that you're a small company and that adding servers worldwide is no easy task, not having at least one server in Europe and in English at launch would mean to me and to most people who do not live in America that the game is off-limits.

As good as a game might be, it's just not enjoyable at high latencies. Double.. no.. tripple that for PvP-centric games.

Artcraft not commiting to something like a single European server while having mounts as stretch goals.. how can I say this.. tingles my spider-senses. 

The MMO community has been through too much in the recent past.

Don't let this be yet another nail in the genres coffin.

PS. Most gamers can speak english relatively fluently. I learned english in WoW myself. Localizing the game is fluff, a convenience. Having a playable latency on the other hand is a priority. 

Edited by satyros

As far as my reading comprehension goes they NEVER said they won't have EU-Servers. The question is, if they are able to take care of that themselves or if they have to team up with a publisher for that.

The latter is no unusual practice and ACE already stated what the deciding criteria are for the selection of who to team up with.

And sorry... a stretch goal of +200k$ is NOT ENOUGH to cover for the costs of distribution and service in the EU. Stating that would have been completely ludicrous.

Edited by Angier

Thanks for the update Gordon.

Do you have any estimate (I know its probably to early) on how many backers/players will have to come from e.g Europe before you will consider setting up a server here? And if you have to run the servers yourselves will you add a stretchgoal on the current KS campaign for servers in the EU region or will you make a separate KS/Donation for this?

Im sure i saw in a previous post one of the Devs said would need around 10k to make it worth while..ill try and find the link.

The problem with this is that there are no good companys in the EU that won't make your game a money milker/pay to win game in anyway possible unless artcraft will have a say in everything and prevents this from happening which will be unlikely to get European company's to actually want to publish it they only think about their wallet not the costumer.

Rather see the game published in the Eu by artcraft which will give us a lot better support, Better updating when updates need to come instead of half a year later and make the game globally the same.

Localization can be done way after the game has been released and is not mandatory to have a good game.

Tbh I would hate to play the game in Dutch it would sound stupid and ridicules and doesn't fit games.

More Dutch/Belgian ppl that I personally know of feel the same about it, having a Dutch version of a game feels like a waste of time and money that could be spent on making the game better.

Edited by Sephirothbe

...obstacles do not exist to be surrendered to, but only to be broken. "***** ******"
I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion. "Alexander the Great"

And sorry... a stretch goal of +200k$ is NOT ENOUGH to cover for the costs of distribution and service in the EU. Stating that would have been completely ludicrous.

ofc its not enough (i said earlier make it for the $3-5m stretch goals), BUT its showing what kind of intent the devs have.. i would rather walk on a EU based server than riding around on a horse on US based server whit high latency..

Edited by Forko

While I understand that you're a small company and that adding servers worldwide is no easy task, not having at least one server in Europe and in English at launch would mean to me and to most people who do not live in America that the game is off-limits.

As good as a game might be, it's just not enjoyable at high latencies. Double.. no.. tripple that for PvP-centric games.

Artcraft not commiting to something like a single European server while having mounts as stretch goals.. how can I say this.. tingles my spider-senses. 

The MMO community has been through too much in the recent past.

Don't let this be yet another nail in the genres coffin.

PS. Most gamers can speak english relatively fluently. I learned english in WoW myself. Localizing the game is fluff, a convenience. Having a playable latency on the other hand is a priority. 

They answered why mounts are important to put in asap

First, mount speed changes the way you build the Worlds (in our case, the way build the algorithm to build the worlds).  It has implications on continent size, road size, collision, buildings, you name it.  If we are ever going to have mounts in this case, we need to decide that now, otherwise it will cost us months and months of rework (which we can't afford.)

Second, the caravan rules are something that I really, REALLY wanted to include in the base vision, but we just couldn't make it fit.  Mounts are great, and players love them  -- but the game implications of having materials require you to protect them as you transport them around the map -- the strategic implications of that are HUGE.  The emergent behaviors that it causes, like when a party ambushes you and kill your mule, leaving you with a pile of really valuable stuff you can't carry -- this strengthens the foundation of the game in EVERY ruleset.  

And we need that foundation to be strong.

They answered why mounts are important to put in asap

First, mount speed changes the way you build the Worlds (in our case, the way build the algorithm to build the worlds).  It has implications on continent size, road size, collision, buildings, you name it.  If we are ever going to have mounts in this case, we need to decide that now, otherwise it will cost us months and months of rework (which we can't afford.)

Second, the caravan rules are something that I really, REALLY wanted to include in the base vision, but we just couldn't make it fit.  Mounts are great, and players love them  -- but the game implications of having materials require you to protect them as you transport them around the map -- the strategic implications of that are HUGE.  The emergent behaviors that it causes, like when a party ambushes you and kill your mule, leaving you with a pile of really valuable stuff you can't carry -- this strengthens the foundation of the game in EVERY ruleset.  

And we need that foundation to be strong.

I'm totally sold on mounts, caravans and their strategic value.

But what are they worth if you cannot play the game properly?

What are tactics worth at 400 ping?

You need to consider the latency issue when designing the combat. That's what ArenaNet did when they opted for adding things like invul frames to their dodge. They didn't want to add them, but when faced with just players across the US with a 30-80 ping difference, it became necessary to put people on a more even playing field. If you really want to compound the latency problems, add animation lock and precision FPS gameplay.

Edited by frozenshadow