Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
kickit

Crowfall = shadowbane 2?

Shadowbane players will be split.  It isn't Shadowbane 2.0, and some will be disappointed.  Others came here because of the manifesto/vision (as opposed to being married to a particular design) and they'll be really excited.

Not a chance, lol.

Well I think there's some obligation as a developer to say that, even if it's not wholly true.

That being said though, I don't honestly believe most SBers thought this would be 2.0, we're just hoping for a spiritual successor that has the same feel, the same intensity and improvements on what SB lacked. 

protosig_zps963957f1.png

RIP Hili

I am worried a lot of the Shadowbane people are expecting Shadowbane 2. It seems to be what they are saying on the Shadowbane Emulator forums. The horse's mouth says its NOT going to be Shadowbane 2. It will be best for community leaders to help adjust those expectations to avoid disappointment. 

True. I don't want a 2nd version. I want something new to learn, exciting, and fun to explore.

But I don't want something else out there that re-hashes what we've already seen. Lots of games have tried to take open world PvP, sandbox, and siegeing only to do it wrong. But those areas are where the hope lies and while I may be missing a few or the scope is too brought on those 3 tenets, I'd like to think any spiritual successor to shadowbane would have those 3 tenets if not more.

However, Wiz 101 graphics with dungeons and FPS PvP would be way off base for me.

Hopefully it is at least in a somewhat similar realm as Shadowbane when it comes the basic principles such as guild housing, etc. That is not to say, however, that it should necessarily be a " Shadowbane 2". 

Edited by folklord

"Video games foster the mindset that allows creativity to grow "  - NOLAN BUSHNELL

I am worried a lot of the Shadowbane people are expecting Shadowbane 2. It seems to be what they are saying on the Shadowbane Emulator forums. The horse's mouth says its NOT going to be Shadowbane 2. It will be best for community leaders to help adjust those expectations to avoid disappointment. 

I am not worried and neither should you.

Think most Shadowbane players want something different and new AND just as deadly as Shadowbane, if not more so.

A spiritual successor is what most want and from the sounds of things so far, what we shall get. Here's to faith and trust!

We will see, right now a big part of the work is already done, this forum is already like the old one on Ubisoft with the same old topics, now they just need to make the game

Se un uomo non è disposto a lottare per le proprie idee, o le sue idee non valgono nulla o non vale nulla lui. EZRA POUND

MEMENTO AUDERE SEMPER

Definitely does not look like its going to be shadowbane 2. Expect homogenized, doubt they will allow people to politic like in SB, that might hurt peoples feelings man!

Definitely does not look like its going to be shadowbane 2. Expect homogenized, doubt they will allow people to politic like in SB, that might hurt peoples feelings man!

This is sort of my worry.

I honestly think there were very few things that Shadowbane needed to lose, and it's failure was more about things it needed to get.  The game ran like ****.  The game had pretty much no content.  Logistical considerations weren't really a thing, and there was never a break point where a zerg just became too big to handle, and would implode.  Itemization got boring, since there was really only 2 tiers of gear; worthless and 110%.  Just more REASONS to care about what you're doing - banes did become sort of meaningless since end-game items were easy, and there was almost no other reason to own one (production of items).

For instance, being able to build up resource structures inside/outside your city walls (farms/windmills/quarries, etc) that could be individually owned/operated by players (who pay taxes or belong to guild, and/or perhaps operated by NPCs) and continually brought in resources (like an RTS) could have been great.  They would fill that prime slot of content between mines and sieges - a point of content for city RAIDING.  Go there, burn and pillage their prime resource humps, and slow them down!  Maybe cities would need X amount of food to operate (based on how many characters are bound)?  That wouldn't have been terrible, especially if you could just build farms to get it.

And there's just so much more stuff like that.

So, that's why I'm kind of depressed when they say don't expect a game like shadowbane.  I'm afraid of some new-age sleek sexy developer stuff that totally misses the point.  It's like when they made Faxion (other SB developers).  They just seemed to TOTALLY miss what made SB great and built a game that was so misguided on every level, and basically just ended up being a super meh version of WoW. 

Game mechanics really don't get out of date.  You don't need some leetskeet FPS ****, or everything about rolling and shield blocking manually, to have a good game.  Look at Moba's.  I'm sure any "Experienced developer" would have scoffed at the idea of those types of games becoming big before the custom map makers (15 year old kids dicking around) made them and over took and now dominate the gaming market.  Those types of mechanics are all archaic (point&click RTS style).

Edited by frobobo

as long as the environment is player driven, the sandbox will be fun

read it again....cuz it's Quoted for Truth...

Excelsior!

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...