Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Should Kickstarter Campaigns Be Over-Funded?

remec

They asked for 800k to make their vision. We backed them because we believe in that vision. Additional funding will only dilute and/or change the initial vision(for good or better, only time will tell). I'd rather they just pocket the extra cash then change the initial vision whatsoever. If you wanted a million+, you should have asked for it.

At least make stretch goals that will speed up development, or improve server hardware.

QgGGP67.gif

Considering we need more money than the goal to achieve the vision that is presented on that page, I am glad the answer is yes

Then ask for more money to begin with.

They asked for 800k to make the core game, but it's going to take more than that to make the entire game as they envision it, even when including the investment they've already received.

I didn't back the game for a core. I backed it on the entire vision. I don't remember the kickstarter video saying this was only for half a game.

Edited by remec

QgGGP67.gif

I didn't back the game for a core. I backed it on the entire vision. I don't remember the kickstarter video saying this was only for half a game.

No, actually you signed up to back the Core

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

I didn't back the game for a core. I backed it on the entire vision.

I understand what you are trying to say but in my opinion it was more important launching the kickstarter to have a goal that people thought we could realistically hit. If they could have looked into the future I am sure they would have raised that goal. The positive press you achieve for hitting that goal and hitting it early is too important. It effects the funding gain of every remaining day during the kickstarter. Money to help get the whole vision that you want.

Everyone don't forget we get to continue to raise crowdfunded money every day after the Kickstarter ends as well. As long as they have a store up that is :)

Edited by oberon

That is complicated.  The higher you set the goal on a KS, the more risk you run that you will get zero.  You have to find a balance on that.

It takes way more than 800k to make the kind of game they intend to make.  The KS gets the ball rolling with the "core module."

IhhQKY6.gif

So what is in the core? Here's a link to the description of the game: http://crowfall.com/#/about-the-game

What features are included in the core? What features are only getting made if stretch goals are achieved?

Just going to copy paste the kickstarter.. that explains what you are supporting

63422c04338a807a518eb5193f5e40ad_origina

Our goal for this Kickstarter is to fund the core module of Crowfall.  

How many games can you play with a standard deck of cards?  Poker, Blackjack, Bridge – the variety is endless. Think of the core module like our baseline deck of cards. This is the foundation of the game, on which all the variant rules sets can be built.

Much of the core module work has already been done; we are looking to the community to help us finish it. Specifically, we will use these funds to build:

4d72fe093f9d6e388aa5d372a9bc5fa6_origina
9fb2b15da74194ba64a1b1573088d64a_origina
6a2dee27e5105d5af4268471fe27c93d_origina
0dbadb6059e109ee7ee13417ada5835b_origina
afd49c0b83befa023b9cc4a1df232b75_origina
008475b9c1885da53180da9a96624a79_origina
0a53c6c37a5eb1ba6df8599026843408_origina

* The core module is estimated to be delivered by Winter 2016. First release (with partial functionality) will begin alpha testing in late Summer 2015.

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

Before this thread turns to the dark-side, let me just clarify what i am saying.

I want this game to be made the way they have described it so far. I don't want all kinds of game mechanics and feature that were never initially envisioned.

QgGGP67.gif

Trust me, they need more money, not less, to complete that vision.  You do not need to worry about over-funding and stretch goals harming the vision.

What you should worry about instead is the chance that they need to go to outside investors for money and then get forced by those investors to change their vision to appeal to a wider audience.

IhhQKY6.gif

Just going to copy paste the kickstarter.. that explains what you are supporting

Disappointed...So the first stretch goal should be to finish the game? Kinda makes sense?

Edited by remec

QgGGP67.gif

Disappointed...So the first stretch goal should be to finish the game? Kinda makes sense?

All the stretch goals will be to finish the game.  And even then they will probably not get enough from the KS to finish the vision, and will have to improvise.

I think you should find a way to be less upset about the Kickstarter.  I get the impression you don't have much experience with Kickstarters or game development.  It is not worth getting upset about.

IhhQKY6.gif

Hold on...

"this Kickstarter is to fund the core module of Crowfall."

But then it says...

"Much of the core module work has already been done"

If it's done, it's already paid for. Right? But then it says...

"we are looking to the community to help us finish it. Specifically, we will use these funds to build:"

And then it goes on to describe the game...So what is the deal?

Edited by remec

QgGGP67.gif

Poor OP, didn't read the kickstarter and thinks 800k can create their entire game.

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

I think it makes perfect sense. They wanted $800K for the core game. Then, they are saying if they are able to raise another $200K, they will also be able to do better spell effects and female centaurs. It's pretty straightforward. If anything, there is more accountability here than if they didn't have stretch goals because you can be sure they will have better spell effects and female centaurs if it hits $1M. Otherwise, people will lose faith in the company. The only thing I thought was somewhat misleading is I didn't find out until today that the core module means Dregs only. I think instead of saying core module, etc. they should have been more explicit about that.

...The only thing I thought was somewhat misleading is I didn't find out until today that the core module means Dregs only. I think instead of saying core module, etc. they should have been more explicit about that.

Agreed.

QgGGP67.gif