Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Should Kickstarter Campaigns Be Over-Funded?

remec

Aaaaanyways.

Not like anyone have lost any money on it.

The money haven't been taken out of your or your friends accounts.

If you feel like this wasn't what you wanted to back, you can always take back the pledge.

No reason, what so ever, to get all mad about it.

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

If the excess funds are going towards hiring more staff and paying for licenses they can complete their vision faster. btw I really feel they should hire more coders / staff with every stretch goal.

OQa1xvz.png?1

lol ok.. I wonder if I'll still be able to steal directly from people's inventories.. hrmmm

;)Twitch - Twitter

RIP DOC GONZO

The only thing I thought was somewhat misleading is I didn't find out until today that the core module means Dregs only. I think instead of saying core module, etc. they should have been more explicit about that.

I didn't see that detail but I agree it is annoying. I hope those are among the first additions. Would be poorly made socksty to see this go the was of D3 and have the other rings come much later after launch.

Trust me, they need more money, not less, to complete that vision.  You do not need to worry about over-funding and stretch goals harming the vision.

What you should worry about instead is the chance that they need to go to outside investors for money and then get forced by those investors to change their vision to appeal to a wider audience.

Thats why they are doing kickstarter so they don't need investors or publishers.

Again though like others said the 800k was for the Core game. The rest of the money will be used to finish the game in their vision. The stretch goals aren't just extra stuff they want to tack on for the hell of it, they are actual parts of the game according to their design concept they want to finish.

Edited by pang

I feel the strech goals are things they would have always wanted like better fx and caravans. So it's not really taking away from their goals it's just helping more of there vision be available to us by release.

Also from a marketing point of view they need to say the goal is things like a character model and fx because it's stuff we the gamers can relate to... imagine if these were their stretch goals...

1.0m = Increase development of the game

1.3 = Increase development of the game

1.5 = Increase development of the game.

^ It's not very good marketing/selling while if you say things like New character, mounts and caravans the players can actually get excited for that.

Edited by Cheewy

YannMLq.png

Even with 800k you have to subtract KS/Amazon fee's (approx 15-20%) and approx 10% of backers not able to pay.  They are losing out on 240k (approx 30%) between KS fees and backers not able to pay.  They'd get a total of ~560k after the whole deal.  And they have to pay taxes on this to the IRS as it is listed as 'income' for the business.

etDenA9.png
Camaraderie ~ Loyalty ~ Honor ~ Maturity ~ Integrity ~ Duty

Kickstarter is no where near the total budget necessary to develop the game, it is just a major investment that allows them to get to work and strengthen their opportunity to acquire confident loans and investors without being had.

I mean, how much do you expect the MMO to cost in total? 30 Mil? 300 Mil?

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

...The only thing I thought was somewhat misleading is I didn't find out until today that the core module means Dregs only. I think instead of saying core module, etc. they should have been more explicit about that.

I'm now on a wait and see. I've gone back and read through the entire kickstarter campaign. They could have done a much better job highlighting the limited scope of this project. I never thought they could build an MMO with 800k. I assumed their initial personal investment had brought the game to a point where they only needed a kickstarter fund to get to the finish line.

I've cancelled my pledge. I really don't like being mislead(and the scope was intentionally obscured). I will wait and see where they go from here.

QgGGP67.gif

Each stretch goal is hiring more people. They are just saying the plan with those workers will be. It was also stated that after the second stretch goal was met they would be doing the next stretch goals to finish the other rings after Dregs. 

I am not sure why you felt mislead though. I do think they should have made the Dregs ruleset a bit more obvious but they are giving you their game vision with nothing just made up for the heck of it. Also it was stated that in the Dregs would be different worlds with different rulesets  and not just the one ruleset they have shown in a picture.

I will also add in that I have not made a pledge as of yet because I still know very little on the EKs and crafting. So I am not trying to fanboy them for sure but I do believe they have been pretty transparent on what they are doing overall.

Edited by homeslice

High Fives and Good Times

OP, I think 800K was the minimum needed to keep them afloat long enough to get silent investors on board. And making a low goal is way better than missing a higher one. More money means more independence for ACE to finish the game, and make it good. I agree, mission creep is a pitfall to watch out for. But we really will need a way to move all that material around the map.

Even with 800k you have to subtract KS/Amazon fee's (approx 15-20%) and approx 10% of backers not able to pay.  They are losing out on 240k (approx 30%) between KS fees and backers not able to pay.  They'd get a total of ~560k after the whole deal.  And they have to pay taxes on this to the IRS as it is listed as 'income' for the business.

If ACE spends the money on legitimate expenses (like making the game) they don't net a profit to pay income taxes on.

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

If the excess funds are going towards hiring more staff and paying for licenses they can complete their vision faster. btw I really feel they should hire more coders / staff with every stretch goal.

I was hoping for some sort of announcement for faster development with over fund goals.  I think the top of the stretch goal list should be faster more organized development with more staff or better experienced staff.  I'm a bit concerned that instead of pumping the stretch into development they are announcing the money is going to female centaurs...

This info on the funding level is in the FAQ on the KS page:  https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/crowfall/crowfall-throne-war-pc-mmo#project_faq_124315

We're very open about our funding strategy, like pretty much everything else we do at ArtCraft.  Not all of our funding depends on crowdfunding, but we prefer it over the other options, so that we have stronger goal alignment with our funders.

We'll certainly build the entire game vision but that won't be done by the end of next year.  We are going to cram as much of that vision into our time frame as we can fund though, but we won't sacrifice quality to get more quantity.  The other rulesets beyond the Dregs are very high on our want list, and can be accelerated with funding.  So they'll either get built before or after the core module is done, dependent on funding.

Participating in the development of the game something every backer can do.  It may not be something every backer wants to do, as it can be stressful!  I rarely pay attention to games I back on Kickstarter until my playable game is ready for example.  It makes me crazy to do so, because I know too much.  Not knowing the process of making games you could get just as crazy watching our somewhat arcane and outwardly chaotic process.  Others thrive on the minutia and creative friction involved in figuring out what will make the best game, not just for them but for most of the people who will play.

Anyway, we hope people support us, and also participate in our ongoing development process to the level they feel comfortable with.  We'll do our best to deliver on the vision and our promises and we'll keep you informed along the way. 

Thanks!

Gordon Walton, ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.  [Rules of Conduct]

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

We'll certainly build the entire game vision but that won't be done by the end of next year.  We are going to cram as much of that vision into our time frame as we can fund though, but we won't sacrifice quality to get more quantity.  The other rulesets beyond the Dregs are very high on our want list, and can be accelerated with funding.  So they'll either get built before or after the core module is done, dependent on funding.

That's cool. Quality is always better than quantity. But is there a chance that we will see the other rule sets as stretch goals or are you planning on funding them totally disconnected from the Kickstarter? I can understand that you wanted caravans first because they seem to be an integral part of the core and I'd love to have them. Female centaurs and particle effects are a little bit underwhelming though. But again, you are building the foundation for more to come with the goal by hirering another character TD (by the way, I am one ^^). Are you planning on releasing more stretch goals soon or only when the current ones are met?

"Kansas City Shuffle - When everybody looks right, you go left."