Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Should Kickstarter Campaigns Be Over-Funded?

remec

The kickstarter can also be the barometer for ACE to say "Look at all of the support we have" which in turn could lead to more private funding thus ensuring ACE has plenty of money to produce a great game.

If they set it too high, then they risk not achieving anything. If they cap it, they can't show the 'buzz' level of the game. If they offer too much (other than just the core) than they risk over promising.

I am happy with what they said they could offer and at what level. If they surpass each level, then great, we get a game all but guaranteed to be more than we expect. (I hope :D)

They asked for 800k to make their vision. We backed them because we believe in that vision. Additional funding will only dilute and/or change the initial vision(for good or better, only time will tell). I'd rather they just pocket the extra cash then change the initial vision whatsoever. If you wanted a million+, you should have asked for it.

At least make stretch goals that will speed up development, or improve server hardware.

Someone needs a Snickers bar.  Also, you should try reading the funding section over at their kickstarter, where they kinda explain everything about their funding philosophy.

$800k is the bare bones version.  And no, time wouldn't tell anything, because it's all part of the same vision. And, I'm sure they'd like $100m,  but that doesn't make it a sound strategy for KS.  Their FIRST stretch goal adds a staff person...pretty sure that helps development.  

I'm not being critical of you for posting a negative thread; I'm critical because you didn't do your due diligence, and you're snarky.

Someone needs a Snickers bar.  Also, you should try reading the funding section over at their kickstarter, where they kinda explain everything about their funding philosophy.

$800k is the bare bones version.  And no, time wouldn't tell anything, because it's all part of the same vision. And, I'm sure they'd like $100m,  but that doesn't make it a sound strategy for KS.  Their FIRST stretch goal adds a staff person...pretty sure that helps development.  

I'm not being critical of you for posting a negative thread; I'm critical because you didn't do your due diligence, and you're snarky.

I like the Snickers bar reference! 

They asked for 800k to make their vision. We backed them because we believe in that vision. Additional funding will only dilute and/or change the initial vision(for good or better, only time will tell). I'd rather they just pocket the extra cash then change the initial vision whatsoever. If you wanted a million+, you should have asked for it.

At least make stretch goals that will speed up development, or improve server hardware.

The goal of the 800k was for EK and Dregs Core rule set. The 800k was not for the whole "vision" that is why I am upset about those first two strech goals. They need to finish their "vision" first before adding cosmetic stretch goals.

The goal of the 800k was for EK and Dregs Core rule set. The 800k was not for the whole "vision" that is why I am upset about those first two strech goals. They need to finish their "vision" first before adding cosmetic stretch goals.

Caravans are not cosmetic.

If they are going to be in, it is better to have the system in from the start.

Cosmetics is important if you want to sell a game to gamers, because... well, we are idiots.

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

Caravans are not cosmetic.

If they are going to be in, it is better to have the system in from the start.

Cosmetics is important if you want to sell a game to gamers, because... well, we are idiots.

Yeah but they had me and my guildmates sold on the whole vision not just dregs. half of my guild has already backed out because they are upset about them not finishing the game first before adding more stuff.

Yeah but they had me and my guildmates sold on the whole vision not just dregs. half of my guild has already backed out because they are upset about them not finishing the game first before adding more stuff.

The time frame is the same.

So none of you have lost anything.

If they are upset because they didn't read what the kickstarter was founding... I am sorry?

IF they kickastarter goes as planned and IF the core game starts to get things going and IF they can get more money because of all this, then the rest of the game is going to be made.

Withdrawing your support from the kickstarter certainly wont help the full game being made.

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

The stuff they are adding IS finishing the game. Its not just extra stuff for the hell of it, its stuff they want in the game but isn't part of the 800k Core module. So if you and your guildmates want ACE to finish the game asap then now is the time to add support not take it away.

<3 ArtCraft. I honestly feel like they do listen to us and what worries we might have and i know they will deliver a great quality game. At the same time its also up to us as backers and the first to kinda hear of the game, to make sure if we want beyond Dregs and want more done before release that we support the game financially, they arnt making this on a prayer. It takes alot of money to get a game made, and alot of us are expecting this to be the game we been waiting for a long time, so lets make sure we make it feel that way with our wallets and by telling our friends/blogs/forums/guildies etc about Crowfall, so they can decide if this is for them.

I don't want to kill more rats, fill another experience point bar or collect another meaningless badge. I want to play a GAME against PLAYERS, where my actions, my decisions and my SKILL will determine if I win or lose. Allies. Enemies. Alliances. Betrayal. risk. Conquest. To compete with THOUSANDS of other players for a chance to claim the THRONE. Even if i lose, the experience won't feel hollow. I don't want another worthless trophy.

PLAY TO CRUSH

Stretch goals are a mini-game to keep the funding campaign strong.  Why on earth would they limit funding?  They are a business, and businesses are designed to make money.  Would you make a product or deliver a service and put a cap on your revenue?  At any rate, particle effects must have been part of their initial vision.

You trusted their "vision" before, but now you have issues with their judgement? You are not a shareholder -- you are a customer.  Enjoy the unique insight and contribute your opinions where they can be most useful -- within the topics they request input on.  Some of you guys are getting a bit out of control.

www.LordsOfDeath.com

https://twitter.com/lodforlife

"Alert The Clutch"

They are finishing the core of the game.  Caravans are part of the game.  Rulesets are part of the game.  Physics are part of the game.  Animations are part of the game.  Archetypes are part of the game.  EVERYTHING they are working on is PART OF THE GAME.  They're not putting in the network optimizations, server clustering or any of the backend necessities that will be required to make the game run.  Back it because you support the vision as a whole, not because you like one particular ruleset that may not be in at launch.  It WILL be a part of the game and if you're like me and picked a donation level that gives you VIP membership for years they have plenty of time.

Food for thought: EVE Online didn't have their sovereignty system in upon release.  That came later.  EVE Online continues to grow and evolve because they have a dedicated community.  They didn't have the luxury of MMOs being as popular in 2003 as they are now.  There was no Kickstarter.  Heimar and the rest sold a board game they created called Danger Game in Iceland to get the capital to start the project.  The customers provided continued funding to flesh out their vision.  That's exactly what we are doing for Crowfall except that they get a larger portion upfront.

If your guildmates aren't willing to back it because they want instant gratification on release instead of being a part of something for the long haul that has serious promise to change the MMO landscape...well, it's their loss.  The Kickstarter numbers continue to rise, so others will step up and keep this progressing.

http://www.twitch.tv/Waikikamukau Yes, it's Why-Kick-Uh-Moo-Cow / Twitter: @TheMukau

More money = faster/better development is a win/ win imo. If they have more resources they can better serve us.

Also stretch goals are nothing new to kick starter campaigns.

Id much rather give the dev team more money,so in turn come release time they have a better product.

Look at Shadowbane for example the game went live way to early too many crashes/disconnect in early banes which turned off a lot of players who didn't wait for it too be fixed. But when the game went free to play and had fixed many of the older lag/client issues...there was a huge influx of players even though there newer MMOs with superior graphics etc. So players liked the game but only when client issues were not as horrible.

Even UO which was a great game till age of shadows....that game had horrible lag at release running from west to east Brit bank could take 15-20 min (which is like a 1 min run on foot)at launch even on high speed internet (most people were on 56k modem, few lucky people had ISDN).

Anyway the point is more money better chance of a polished product w better infrastructure at release. Look at WOW for example weather you liked it, hated it you couldn't deny at release it was one of the smoothest releases. All games have bugs/lag at release but having a smooth release is one of the biggest keys to player retention.

In a PvP game no one wants to lose because I lost conn or disconnected, or the client went lag city.

Edited by mendoza

I turn dough into $$$ .....The Pizza King of QFT

Two-man guild?  Relax, they're going to get everything they've discussed in the game.  Not only is their reputation on the line, but they care about making it as fully featured a game as possible, more than anyone else here because of what's at stake for them.

Then ask for more money to begin with.

I didn't back the game for a core. I backed it on the entire vision. I don't remember the kickstarter video saying this was only for half a game.

They stated that they wanted to make the goals realistic and achievable.  They felt they were going for a balance because if you ask for too much you may not get funded.  After hearing the full explanation of why they picked their stretch goals I am not at all worried about their vision.  I have concerns that don't include the kickstarter or over funding.

Ok, I had a snickers bar. I feel better. 

Absolutely right, I should have read the kickstarter completely. But honestly, all i have been doing for the past 2 months is reading about this game...so cut me a little slack when i assume all i have read might be included in the fundraiser. YOU HAD ME AT PLAY2CRUSH!!! YOU HAD ME AT PLAY2CRUSH!!!

QgGGP67.gif