Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
teekey

Draegan From Rerolled.org Interviews Gordon Walton & J Todd Coleman [63:54]

Hurm, Im gonna say, an lock cuts down in twitch and adds another layer of tactic, so I like it. But I could be wrong about that. Im no expert but the idea of having to process which move to begin because its a commitment is strategically appealing to me.

I role play a wordsmith.

To the people worried about animation lock.

You are probably used to wow which was a tab target game, it worked well for them to have no animation lock.

If we look at Wildstar and Tera...

Wildstar had absolutely no animation lock and it turned out to be a spam of flashy lights, we don't want that.

I'm actually re downloaded Tera and been playing for the last few days to get a good grasp on the combat again... It works.

In Tera when you hit something you actually feel like you smash the crap out of them, the player and the enermy feel like they connect, it's not spammy. I actually feel like a beast because I feel like I'm smashing the poorly made socks out of stuff. I'f you use a really strong attack your character makes the movement of taking a massive swing(talking about melee) and you feel the power in it. While in wildstar you spammed abilites every global cooldown and you don't feel like anything really connects, you just feel like your placing telegraphs around the place that does damage, no real connection. 

I'f you have haven't experienced the combat in these games maybe go give it a try, it will make things more understandable. :)

Tera is free btw.

YannMLq.png

To the people worried about animation lock.

You are probably used to wow which was a tab target game, it worked well for them to have no animation lock.

If we look at Wildstar and Tera...

Wildstar had absolutely no animation lock and it turned out to be a spam of flashy lights, we don't want that.

I'm actually re downloaded Tera and been playing for the last few days to get a good grasp on the combat again... It works.

In Tera when you hit something you actually feel like you smash the crap out of them, the player and the enermy feel like they connect, it's not spammy. I actually feel like a beast because I feel like I'm smashing the poorly made socks out of stuff. I'f you use a really strong attack your character makes the movement of taking a massive swing(talking about melee) and you feel the power in it. While in wildstar you spammed abilites every global cooldown and you don't feel like anything really connects, you just feel like your placing telegraphs around the place that does damage, no real connection. 

I'f you have haven't experienced the combat in these games maybe go give it a try, it will make things more understandable. :)

Tera is free btw.

Just because someone has concerns with animation locks ( I am referring more so to longer sequences personally ) doesn't mean  we come from WoW LOL ... Matter of fact I haven't played WoW since either Feb or March of 2005, can't remember which month.  I have also played Tera, although I will admit not in depth.

My most recent experience comes from GW2 system which is one of my more enjoyable combat systems personally, it does have things I would change for this game if I had control over it :)

What you are referring to in my opinion is good meaningful, impactful animations more so than the kind of animation locks/sequences I am talking about. 

Just because someone has concerns with animation locks ( I am referring more so to longer sequences personally ) doesn't mean  we come from WoW LOL ... Matter of fact I haven't played WoW since either Feb or March of 2005, can't remember which month.  I have also played Tera, although I will admit not in depth.

My most recent experience comes from GW2 system which is one of my more enjoyable combat systems personally, it does have things I would change for this game if I had control over it :)

What you are referring to in my opinion is good meaningful, impactful animations more so than the kind of animation locks/sequences I am talking about. 

I agree GW2 had a decent combat system and I see it as a perfected tab target combat system.

Since this game isn't going with tab targeting the current games we can look at for an example of free shooting is Tera, Wildstar and maybe ESO.

I'n my opinion Tera is the most polished/respectable combat for this game or something close to it.  ;)

PS: By WoW I guess I mean tab target (combat style) games which were all of 2004-2010, sorry if the comment insulted you.

Edited by Cheewy

YannMLq.png

I agree GW2 had a decent combat system and I see it as a perfected tab target combat system.

Since this game isn't going with tab targeting the current games we can look at for an example of free shooting is Tera, Wildstar and maybe ESO.

I'n my opinion Tera is the most polished/respectable combat for this game or something close to it.  ;)

Actually GW2 can be played as a non tab target game :) ... tab target is just added

Here's a video what GW2 is like without relying on tab targeting and retuicle gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g2yOAVEKec

Edited by sarin

Animation locks can add another layer of tactics but if they make the game too slow then that takes away a lot of tactics as well.  Games that don't make you think and react quickly are not good skillwise. 

Well, I'm not a fan of animation locks, but they said they're looking for a middle ground, so we'll see. Either they get it right, or not.

Here, I wrote out some points that stood out to me:

The combat guy = Blair

They want combat to be a blend of Tera and Wildstar.

Wildstar has quick animations and dashes, Tera has scripted animation sequences.

They're blending the two, having combo moves. - You lose control of your character for 3 seconds or less, with ways to stop in the middle of the animations, reposition, etc.

Internal Knight combo (chained animation sequence / anim lock) = slash, backhanded slash, a step forward, a spin, a slash, and finally a shield bash.

Crow control - support classes will have the bulk of it

Stealth - big fans for stealth and anti-stealth

EK v Campaigns:

Development Focus = Campaigns, always has been.

The EK exists because they don't want people to feel like vagabonds, travelling from campaign to campaign. What they don't want to do is put too much emphasis on the EK, taking away from the campaigns. The campaigns the game, not the EK.

Actually GW2 can be played as a non tab target game :) ... tab target is just added

Here's a video what GW2 is like without relying on tab targeting and retuicle gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2g2yOAVEKec

That is actually really cool!

It's like you aim the aoe and it goes where you aim and as for the abilities you would normally do the an enemy it is soft locked like ESO.

I think this mod could be something they could also learn from.

Edit: Gotta watch out though because I think majority of the community dislikes soft lock. (I'm cool with it)

Edited by Cheewy

YannMLq.png

That is actually really cool!

It's like you aim the aoe and it goes where you aim and as for the abilities you would normally do the an enemy it is soft locked like ESO.

I think this mod could be something they could also learn from.

Edit: Gotta watch out though because I think majority of the community dislikes soft lock. (I'm cool with it)

Well I would actually say get rid of the soft lock. I would be fine either way. If you really get into GW2 combat it actually has animation locks as well just like Tera, the difference is ( correct me if I am wrong here for those really knowledgable with Tera combat ) you have a choice at anytime to break the animation with GW2 where in Tera there is a point that you get completely locked in. ( We are talking seconds and millisconds though )

Now here is my problem with Tera's lock in a sense you can't break it at some point. I am going to use a 1 vs 1 example. You come across a foe and engage with him, having a fun battle, and from behind you get jumped by a stealther and it is now 2 vs 1 against you. In GW2's version you have the option to break out with movement ( if you are in animation ) where in Tera you might be locked for a period of time. Now some say punishment for committing to that attack, but in this case you are punished even further by getting jumped by a stealther and can't use movement to either create a more favorable situation for yourself and get out of dodge, where in Tera you are possibly are going to eat some damage from multiple sources now for a short period of time because the system is locking you in and punishing you.

In the end, I am thinking in broad terms of the game here instead of PvE enoucnters and 1 vs 1 situations, I am by no means bashing Tera combat, I just feel it's not the most ideal for larger scale PvP encounters.

Edited by sarin

How about acknowledging the skill of the stealth player to take advantage of your greed?

What in the world does this have to do anything with the conversation about comparing the 2 different combat systems? Are you seriously suggesting a player should "eat" it because the so called stealther is skilled because he jumped someone engaged in combat with another player. Not sure you understand what the comparison I was making even means. In one scenerio the player jumped has the option to use movement to get out or create seperation, the other system might have you locked in animation until it finishes.

I understand your worry of being stuck in an animation where you don't wan't to be there anymore. In the interview they talking about this a bit about animation times and risk for reward. They talk about having the right amount of time for the animtion where it feels right rather then being locked into somthing for a long person of time that you don't want to be there anymore.

I'm not going to look up the time in the interview but I believe it's more towards the start, they were talking how tera is the perfect timings where it's not to long and animations timers also go with the attack and the strength of it. I'f it's a side step it's extreamly quick but if its a very powerful attack its got much power to it and the animation reflects that.

I'm fine either way animation locked or not but whichever direction they go they gotta make it work/feel right.

YannMLq.png

I meant no offense. Perhaps I shouldn't have used a personal pronoun.

Able and Baker are fighting. Able knocks down Baker and decides to do a long recovery attack in order to strike a heft damage on Baker.

Charlie sees Able going for this greedy play, and opens on Able.

Able is "locked" into his decision and deals with the consequences.

OR, as mentioned elsewhere, Able can use a cooldown or some other attack to 'break' out of the attack on Baker, perhaps take evasion maneuvers, or reprioritize targets.

The dance continues.

I meant no offense. Perhaps I shouldn't have used a personal pronoun.

Able and Baker are fighting. Able knocks down Baker and decides to do a long recovery attack in order to strike a heft damage on Baker.

Charlie sees Able going for this greedy play, and opens on Able.

Able is "locked" into his decision and deals with the consequences.

OR, as mentioned elsewhere, Able can use a cooldown or some other attack to 'break' out of the attack on Baker, perhaps take evasion maneuvers, or reprioritize targets.

The dance continues.

You can do that in both combat systems, one system allows you to use movement and one might lock you in, that's my concern. I don't see the fun factor in being locked in is my point, especially in larger battles are changing extremely fast all around you. 

I just don't see "figther" style gameplay beneficial or fun in this type of game, my opinion :)

Edited by sarin