Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Founders’ Update: Next major release is underway…

DEV-Tiggs

ArtCraft Co-Founder and Executive Producer gives a look at the upcoming 7.200 update in testing now and sheds light on the next update going into production.

Check out the complete update here: crowfall.com/blog/7.200-is-coming

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.  [Rules of Conduct]

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou are crunchy and go well with ketchup!

I'm still laughing about the call out in the notes about Moon "having a clear lead in Shadows campaign". Like, every single person in Shadows agrees that the rewards are basically pointless. We just collectively decided as a faction that we were going to try for them anyway just for the sake of doing it, even though they are worth like a 15 minute trip to an NPC village. Such a slap in the face to spend an entire month fighting a campaign to earn frikken 5k gold like seriously... that's not even enough to make a discipline blue. Is it the fear that someone will have spent just a day or two in the campaign not contributing, so all of the hundreds of hours of the other players get downscaled to an estimated 3 hr contribution instead? That's dumb. Implement scaling based on individual participation. We have people who've been working hard who deserve to get rewarded for it. 

Otherwise, it's "not worth the risk" to be in Shadows compared to God's Reach, with the inventory drop and high risk of PVP, if you aren't on the clear lead faction. And often, even if you are. Or go to Dregs, where you actually get something for participating (and mindbogglingly generously, too). Ironically also, the hotzones are less broken in God's Reach, more reliably producing all the solo bosses instead of just 1, respawning at a decent rate, and actually dropping what they are supposed to. Of course, if you actually want people to hot zone, maybe make them support more than just 4-6 people? Seriously... But that's a discussion for another day.

For us "Moon Goons" in Shadows, we agreed to keep fighting for the principle of the thing, to get practice on beating the objectives. But our work is ultimately pointless and making us more broke and less progressed than we would be if we had ignored them. Often significantly. 

The game rewards us for being greedy individualists, not for working on collective objectives. In a way, we are actually punished for pursuing them, in Shadows. I'm really surprised the devs aren't paying attention to Shadows as an "endgame option" for players rather than simply "training grounds for Dregs". A lot of us -want- it to be our endgame rather than guild v guild. 

Edited by Kynadre

No offense, but why does it feel like these blog posts are getting more and more padded with information that's pretty much useless?

There's SO many things to talk about and that could be addressed, but instead it's pretty much just ignored. Instead it feels like a 7th grader just filling their essay word count.

The things marked in red are absolutely useless non-information. The things marked in green are actual information.

Ssfoa1o.png

Not to mention that if you push out the 7.300 patch on November 1st, the absolute earliest, it would then have been ~120 days since launch.

If you are telling us that it has taken you 4 MONTHS to fix something like the laggy map and the broken chat system, then what timeframe are we looking at with any kind of major changes to the game? Or does it mean that no major changes are ever coming?

Edited by macavity

IHaKjRO.png

"Crowfall's evolution has been interesting: when we started, the game leaned much more heavily on survival mechanics. over time we added more and more strategy and pulled the survival mechanics. by launch, we'll be the most strategic virtual universe (IMO surpassing Eve Online)" - J. Todd Coleman, January 5th 2020

7 hours ago, Kynadre said:

I'm really surprised the devs aren't paying attention to Shadows as an "endgame option" for players rather than simply "training grounds for Dregs". A lot of us -want- it to be our endgame rather than guild v guild. 

6 hours ago, Solstar said:

Also, Kynadre is right. Shadows "Rewards" can be farmed in about 30 minutes in God's Reach.  Individual rewards like, "Top 20%/40%/60% in Faction recieve X" are desperately needed. 

I agree that Shadows is a great opportunity to keep people in the game, as a destination in-and-off itself, and a bridge to the Dregs game mode as a bonus.

I mostly play Dregs, but see that Shadows need the work right now, which might have follow on effects to Dregs as well.

Advertising for more recruits does not equate to the retention part.

As someone who is coordinating a small guild, recruitment isn't so much of an issue, as much as retention. A good proportion of players that I've recruited over the last months, are not necessarily getting the hook post NPE. I have stopped recruiting, and I haven't invited my long term gaming buddies to the game yet at all, since I know for a fact that retention is not going to be strong. The active people I see in the game are iron-men/women who are able to get through and give themselves direction. Those who have dropped, are ones that don't see a clear reward or purpose to the activities they might be doing, and aren't directed enough to get there, even if they could have fun in solo or small/medium/large group content. They are "waiting for the game to have updates which provide 'content' or things to do", where I think a good motivation will be the individual rewards, and clear personal progression targets, rather than self-defined goals. It's too overwhelming, especially after you count the group stuff in guilds, alliances. You need to have buy-in at an individual level before you care about the bigger stuff. I feel like the majority of players who bought the game or did the trial will feel this scenario.

Currently the major point of feedback from those inactive guild members who finished the NPE at least is "I don't know what to do, I have little direction, I only see grind". Trying to organize group activities (mostly PvP or objective play) to lead them works for a bit, but even if others are playing in the guild, they want to learn the game themselves, and have their own directions. It's also a lot of work, work I hoped would be aided through game systems, but that isn't really there. There is a distinct difference between having their own direction, and finding it.

I think one of the traits that ACE is assuming a lot of players have right now, is self-direction. This is not a common trait. Giving obvious carrots for the individual to pursue is very important. I feel that recruitment should only be furthered significantly once there is retention possibilities for these new recruits.

I see the work on individual rewards, as alluded by @Kynadre and @Solstar already, and many others, as a step in this direction.

I personally am a self-directed individual, I can work through all of the jank and issues with the game to find my own purpose hour-to-hour, day-to-day. Without this, many people don't have buy-in to their faction, or guild, to a level of participation that gives them direction and ultimately purpose and joy in the game.

I feel the turning point will be when people care about conquest points, raiding forts with and against people, and sieging keeps with and against people in Shadow, rewarded through the individual rewards system or otherwise. Leaderboards that show individual contribution or effort. Faction v Faction in other games is a great mode that needs love for the majority of players. 

Edited by LashLash

53 minutes ago, LashLash said:

As someone who is coordinating a small guild, recruitment isn't so much of an issue, as much as retention.

Completely agree. I have almost 35 players in my guild, and maybe 5 of them log on regularly since the beginning of Sept.

Edited by Solstar

9 hours ago, Kynadre said:

I'm really surprised the devs aren't paying attention to Shadows as an "endgame option" for players rather than simply "training grounds for Dregs". A lot of us -want- it to be our endgame rather than guild v guild. 

1000% this. I would wager this is why there are huge retention issues. Dregs is such a turn off for anyone except the existing mega-guilds, and recent changes have just made that worse. Small scale PvP and non-organised PvP needs to matter and be rewarding. You could offer Dregs unique cosmetic rewards like other games do without gimping the Shadow campaign from a character progression perspective. 

10 hours ago, macavity said:

No offense, but why does it feel like these blog posts are getting more and more padded with information that's pretty much useless?

If something is not useful for you, it does not mean it is not useful for others.

Make shadows worth the time, make it a choice where to play and don't push us to dregs. Thanks. 

The map layout this time was also meh... be it for harvesting (too much t7) or farming (no large camps for groups). 

I'll repeat like at the end of the last shadows... you got a chance to fill the rvr needs of many, don't waste the potential by ignoring it. The dregs folks are already here, it's a super niche - you want more ppl so I would suggest to focus on less of a niche. 

1 hour ago, ComradeAma said:

If something is not useful for you, it does not mean it is not useful for others.

Go ahead and tell me how it is useful for anyone to have them repeat to the players, what happened in the game. Surely the people playing the game already know what happened since they were actually there.

And while you are at it, how is it useful for the players that they keep reminding people about the the recruit-a-friend program at every opportunity they get?

IHaKjRO.png

"Crowfall's evolution has been interesting: when we started, the game leaned much more heavily on survival mechanics. over time we added more and more strategy and pulled the survival mechanics. by launch, we'll be the most strategic virtual universe (IMO surpassing Eve Online)" - J. Todd Coleman, January 5th 2020

"Moon has a clear lead in both Conquest and Divine Favor in the Secalyn Shadow campaign" --BAHAHAHA! My, that is quite the spin. I think what you mean to say is: Moon is the only faction in Shadow. But hey, let's make it more obvious next campaign by every single player going moon, leaving earth and sun with zero points.

And no, I'm not going to share the recruitment link with anyone. I know people who might be interested in the PvP, but this game is so frustrating on so many levels, that they would quit before the end of the 10-day trial.

@LashLash's post is spot on.  The core idea that people are confused and have no clear direction (as provided by in game systems) is obvious to anyone talking to new players (when you actually encounter any...)  I hope this is the sort of thing that the restructuring of the NPE is meant to address...

To add to @Sulong's statement: yes that is some spin.  The big issue of Shadow is that Factions are basically meaningless.

Factions could be used as a means of creating solidarity/rivalry two concepts that would help retain people. Instead the factions are meaningless. As long as faction swapping is free and instant humans will swap to the winning side and not just at the end of the campaign, but as soon as they see a lead.   EVEN THOUGH we all see the rewards in Shadow as a joke.  

I like the option to swap factions, it can lend to some interesting play. However, it should not be free and it should not be instant. Swapping factions should have in game requirements, and those should scale based on which faction you swap to (meaning if you are going to the faction in the lead it should cost more, and if you are going to the underdog it should cost less).   If you want more safety in farming, join the larger faction -- but that safety should cost you something.  If you want pvp swap to the smaller faction(s) you pay less in materials but pay more in danger. etc.

Graveyard Harvesting Organization, Union Local 451 [GHOUL-451] is recruiting, talk to your local union rep.

Nice one... a bugged leaderboard and they are talking about... a fiercer competition. sorry that just makes me laugh and whine more about it...