Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Drakoniak

Teleportation?

So i m wondering if players will be able to use some sort of Teleportation methods via alchemisty? 

For example:

-One must have a X points on alchemy,

-One must craft a X Reagent / Potion / Solution / you name it in order to create some sorta of Circle on the ground,

-One must have a Y Potion / Reagent / Solution crafted to activate the Teleportation circle,

-One must have a A and B point to travel in order to activate the teleportation circle,

-The said circle can be damaged / blured / captured by the enemy or alies as when a fire mage casts fireball upon said circle it will leave marks on the ground and so it becomes a inactive teleportation circle.

If skills may be learned just like in EVE, which I don't think has been mentioned and probably won't be a thing:

Maybe a legendary skill you may find that will also be hard to use and level up.

Teleportation should be tactical-level movement, at best.

The lack of fast-travel such as city teleports makes force projection a real issue; Now you can't really take your army halfway across the world to kick over someone's castle without leaving your own poorly guarded. What this means is that conflicts are very localized, very regional; You're always going to be fighting your neighbors, the guys across the lake or something. Since you're going to be sharing the same space and the same resources as the guys you're fighting, that makes it a lot more personal.

An example with fast travel, say, Eve Online. Your fleet commander gathers you all up and says "Alright guys, we're going to go hit the Russians tonight", so you all form up a fleet, take a few jumpbridges over, catch a titan bridge and you're there. You fight, maybe you win, maybe you don't, but you're back in time for hot pockets. The whole time, though, you're thinking "Why are we fighting the russians? I don't care about these guys", because the only time you see the russians is when you form up a fleet to go to the other side of the galaxy to blow them up.

Let's say you don't have fast travel, that kind of rapid strategic mobility. I'm going to use an example from my Shadowbane days. You're out in the zone doing some farming, killing mobs for gold. Suddenly, you see a guy. He sees you, too. You fight, you're good, but he's better. You die and you lose. But That Guy keeps coming back, keeps finding you and killing you, so you figure "Screw this" and quit for the day. That weekend, your guild leader forms you all up and says "Alright guys, we're gonna go bash down DHL's mine and take it for us". So there's You, the Guild Leader, the Old Man, the Funny Guy, and you all run out to the mine and THERE HE IS! THAT GUY! And he's got two friends too!

Once you limit conflicts to a regional scale, you start seeing the same people, the same faces, and it becomes a lot more personal. The people you're fighting for objectives are the same people who are screwing with your farms, whose newbies you're wrecking, who you're smack-talking on Teamspeak, and you've got a lot more of a personal stake in fighting them. Because they aren't the faceless goons from the other side of the world, they're those cockbites from next door.

Hardcore gamer & tabletop enthusiast. Enjoys roleplaying, pretending to be stupid, and one-sided fun.

Goodposting 101: How to Keep the Forums Clean

Teleportation should be tactical-level movement, at best.

The lack of fast-travel such as city teleports makes force projection a real issue; Now you can't really take your army halfway across the world to kick over someone's castle without leaving your own poorly guarded. What this means is that conflicts are very localized, very regional; You're always going to be fighting your neighbors, the guys across the lake or something. Since you're going to be sharing the same space and the same resources as the guys you're fighting, that makes it a lot more personal.

An example with fast travel, say, Eve Online. Your fleet commander gathers you all up and says "Alright guys, we're going to go hit the Russians tonight", so you all form up a fleet, take a few jumpbridges over, catch a titan bridge and you're there. You fight, maybe you win, maybe you don't, but you're back in time for hot pockets. The whole time, though, you're thinking "Why are we fighting the russians? I don't care about these guys", because the only time you see the russians is when you form up a fleet to go to the other side of the galaxy to blow them up.

Let's say you don't have fast travel, that kind of rapid strategic mobility. I'm going to use an example from my Shadowbane days. You're out in the zone doing some farming, killing mobs for gold. Suddenly, you see a guy. He sees you, too. You fight, you're good, but he's better. You die and you lose. But That Guy keeps coming back, keeps finding you and killing you, so you figure "Screw this" and quit for the day. That weekend, your guild leader forms you all up and says "Alright guys, we're gonna go bash down DHL's mine and take it for us". So there's You, the Guild Leader, the Old Man, the Funny Guy, and you all run out to the mine and THERE HE IS! THAT GUY! And he's got two friends too!

Once you limit conflicts to a regional scale, you start seeing the same people, the same faces, and it becomes a lot more personal. The people you're fighting for objectives are the same people who are screwing with your farms, whose newbies you're wrecking, who you're smack-talking on Teamspeak, and you've got a lot more of a personal stake in fighting them. Because they aren't the faceless goons from the other side of the world, they're those cockbites from next door.

Except the fact that it wont limit anything. Yes, you are locked with decision of leaving your own kingdom defenseless. And thats something that must exist. There is no just lets go and bash their heads, You have to plan and strategize, the path you will go through, timing, battle strategy. Etc. Big scale battles should not always happen. But when they happen they should be rewarding enough so it will be worth it.

I dont see any teleportation in real life, but armies on mediaval times traveled for 6 months to conquer the land. Im sure it will be much faster then that in game. It depends on how fast mounts will ride, In fact they can add systems like ;

If you have been riding horse for longer then 3 munites, horses speed starts increasing by %1 every second, up to %300 of normal speed, which will allow guilds to travel long distances quite fast in situations of war.

Because this game uses voxels, battles are going to be much more drastic, castles will fall, sieges will be planned. Big wars should be rare, otherwise guilds wont feel like rebuilding their castles. If you are left with risk of leaving your town defenseless, that opens so many new strategy options, guilds will spy each other so they can catch other guilds capital defenseless when they go to war, guilds will form temporary alliances with neigherboods so they can go to further zones with safety. But that also leaves the risk whether that guild will betray you or not.

I'm not a big fan of any instantaneous teleportation of any kind in an open world sandbox game centered around pvp and area control - whether it is fast travel, short range in-combat teleports[they have their own issues I could write a novella on] or any variation of the above. I can see and accept some very limited forms of teleportation, like being able to recall to your home/city.

Even with just Teleport to Home mechanics, it raises a huge number of issues. Personally I am against almost all kinds of fast travel. If I find myself stuck 45 minutes away from the action, well I should have played smarter and not gotten myself so far away.

2G8o9A7.gif

The Otter King of Pax Maelstrom

Stealth should be impossible for mounted characters as well.

Im also aganist invisibility, not being seen must be about player skill, not some magical mechanic. However mechanics like reduced footstep sound , blackened-characters on shadows would be very good.

Roll a sorc, equip full tal rasha with occy, teleport forever.

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

Roll a sorc, equip full tal rasha with occy, teleport forever.

As long as they take out the random tele on that wand.. That stat killed my 93 hc sorc! :(

Lets keep this in a more archaical way:

-Creating a teleportation circle will take X time which during said time the player must be Online (make it 30 irl mins or something) 

-While creating the circle any damage taken / movement / distruption either internal or external will cancel the summoning leading to a faliure upon creating said circle

-Using the circle from point A to point B will take time as the players must "recite" a spell / use a item

-Point A to B cannot be bigger than X meters (in a straight line)

This way some issues could be solved also it won´t be possible to teleport caravans due to "magic". 

Toughs?

I used to play Shadowbane and loved it, but one issue I had with that game was the ubiquity of teleportation and summon skills. I always felt that this detracted from the territorial feeling the game could have had. Sure, you built cities and defended them and the land around them, but the ease with how you could move your entire army around the world meant that you alliance cities could be located just about everywhere and there weren't any real frontline between warring powers.

I would really like a territorial game like this to come with proper borders and all that comes with it. Lets say that Guild A is angry at Guild B and would like to go and punch them in the face. If Guild C owns the land between them and really don't like Guild A, it should really be an issue for Guild A to cross their land to where Guild B lives so they can put tinfoil in their microwave ovens. It shouldn't really just be about sneaking someone through who can chainsummon the rest.

I guess that peoples opinions about this may vary, but the glory of the Crowfall game model is that you can vary the ruleset on different worlds and I hope that at least some of the rulesets will be strictly no teleports.

Edited by Elorius