Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TullyAckland

Ask The Team (Personal Questions) V2!

Question for you Gordon. What was your favorite game project to work on, and why?

Ultima Online for sure.  Great team, awesome game, lots of management latitude (for most of the time).  I got to make a difference and learn a lot at the same time.  What's not to like!

Gordon Walton, ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.  [Rules of Conduct]

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

Dont you guys worry a bit about the "eagles dont flock," stuff, etc? I see a lot of posts on the forums (not always by devs) talking about how hardcore their userbase is, etc, etc, but this userbase is pretty fickle. Adding even basic quality of life improvements is sometimes considered "c*arebear" and its my experience that a lot of people that consider themselves hardcore really can't handle this type of game. Just curious if you guys are worried about driving off people that may not be "eagles" or have a lot of experience with these types of games. I mean, a lot of people have not played SB or UO. They are pretty dated by this point.

Edited by eonwe

gtlLXYT.png

I always play as a regular player incognito, never as a dev.

Heathcliff.jpg

"Hi everyone, I'm totally not a developer... ;)"

Also question time,

So what was it that you did before you became a game developer for a living, or to be more correct got involved in the craft of making games?

Edited by Synast

------------(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)------------

Now in GLORIOUS 'HDvisioning60fpsblahg'

------------(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)------------

Heathcliff.jpg

Also question time,

So what was it that you did before you became a game developer for a living, or to be more correct got involved in the craft of making games?

Soldier, college student.  (I had several pre-Army jobs (~12), and several student jobs too (~6), but they weren't really career choices)

Gordon Walton, ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.  [Rules of Conduct]

Heathcliff.jpg

My previous experiences as heathcliff have always eventually failed. 

It's only a matter of time until someone finds out my name. There aren't many Tully's out there and VOIP usually is my folly. 

It's fun while it lasts, then delete /reroll and form a guild with co-workers, RL friends and family. 

Tully Ackland

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc. 

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

My previous experiences as heathcliff have always eventually failed. 

It's only a matter of time until someone finds out my name. There aren't many Tully's out there and VOIP usually is my folly. 

It's fun while it lasts, then delete /reroll and form a guild with co-workers, RL friends and family. 

Which is why you don't go by Tully in VOIP?  Sheesh you aren't very good at this!  Just develop a really twangy Texas accent, or even better schedule therapy with a SLP for accent reduction.  Now that you are married you don't need it anymore.

nAd1VPD.png

"Agelmar is King of the Hypocrites and Ruler of the Kingdom of Hypocrytia"

Which is why you don't go by Tully in VOIP?  Sheesh you aren't very good at this!  Just develop a really twangy Texas accent, or even better schedule therapy with a SLP for accent reduction.  Now that you are married you don't need it anymore.

Yes please, I would love to hear Tully fake a Texas twang with a British accent and not get called on it.

CF_Karg.png

Tell me more about video game industry. How did you get in? Please. I really want to know.

This is my own experience, but other than having a particular skillset that you can market, I would say almost 100% of getting into the game industry and being hired into a new job is dependent on networking. I have never had a gaming job where I got in on my own. Iv'e only ever been noticed by a potential employer through someone else's recommendation. The game industry is a bit inclusive like that, we like to hire what's comfortable. 

My suggestion would be to network like crazy; and that means living in an area like Austin that has a lot of opportunities to meet game devs. If you're an artist, dedicate a lot of time to fine tuning your portfolio. I would be happy to answer more specific questions if I know the answers to them :)

Larissa Angus

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc. 

[Rules of Conduct] [Personal Portfolio]

I got my job at Mythic by being an awesome beta tester and team lead. I know of at least 2 other DAoC TLs that also went pro.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

I'm disturbed by the artwork on the archetypes it looks looks to cartoonish like looking for a PG-13 rating. I was expecting a more adult  like art as in  EVE,Fallout ,NLV or Baldur's Gate. And the more like EVE the better.

I'm disturbed by the artwork on the archetypes it looks looks to cartoonish like looking for a PG-13 rating. I was expecting a more adult  like art as in  EVE,Fallout ,NLV or Baldur's Gate. And the more like EVE the better.

Really? I think the art is rather beautiful, detailed and creative. But to each their own :)

Anyways, I saw on the videos post-KS that you guys are totally psyched that things went so well. I'm excited too, but did you really think it would turn out badly? To be fair, crowdfunding is very hit-and-miss, but you guys did a great advertising job, you're big names in the gaming industry and this is a very interesting (and rather appreciated) deviation from normal MMOs. Were you really scared that it wouldn't go well? If so, what would possibly happen to your vision of what Crowfall is supposed to be?

Can we have a Bard? If not as an Archetype or Promotion, then maybe a Discipline?

i-3ZQNFxh.jpg

Are you guys coming to GamesCom in Germany? Pleaseeeeee.

t70C8a9.png     "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it's limits."  - Albert Einstein

In the same vein as the previous question -- Will Crowfall go on the road before launch?  If so, do you guys have ideas about what cons/trade shows you want to visit?

Screen_Shot_2015_09_13_at_3_04_43_PM.png

Check us out here.