Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TullyAckland

Ask The Team (Personal Questions) V2!

In the same vein as the previous question -- Will Crowfall go on the road before launch?  If so, do you guys have ideas about what cons/trade shows you want to visit?

Before launch, most likely. This year, very doubtful. Venturing a guess here, but I suspect a PAX or two is in our future. 

Valerie "Pann" Massey, Director of Community

QUESTION FOR THE TEAM!

Greatest gaming memory?

How do you pick just one?

What immediately comes to mind for me are not necessarily "great" or "epic" events in themselves, but are those that have stuck with me the longest.

- In Everquest, pulling in Cazic Thule and being harm touched by no less than 8 lizards in less than a second (yes, I died).

- Discovering Revan's identity in Knights of the Old Republic.

- My initial experience of dying 12 times in less than 3 minutes - my FIRST 3 minutes - of PlanetSide 2.

- Encountering and shooting down Manfred von Richthofen for the first time in a random campaign mission in The Red Baron.

- Helping take a keep in my first foray into PvP in Dark Age of Camelot.

- Being the lone survivor of my 3v3 team in a WoW arena battle where my teammates died early and I had to I kill all 3 enemies to win the match.

- The final cutscene of my Jedi Knight's story in The Old Republic actually gave me goose bumps.

- The satisfaction of soloing a terrorist hunt with only a pistol in Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 on the hardest difficulty setting.

- Finally beating my best friend in Need for Speed.

Honestly, if I had to pick one thing that I would call "the greatest" from my 30+ year history of playing games, it's not the game itself but the friendships I have made playing those games.

How do you pick just one?

What immediately comes to mind for me are not necessarily "great" or "epic" events in themselves, but are those that have stuck with me the longest.

- In Everquest, pulling in Cazic Thule and being harm touched by no less than 8 lizards in less than a second (yes, I died).

- Discovering Revan's identity in Knights of the Old Republic.

- My initial experience of dying 12 times in less than 3 minutes - my FIRST 3 minutes - of PlanetSide 2.

- Encountering and shooting down Manfred von Richthofen for the first time in a random campaign mission in The Red Baron.

- Helping take a keep in my first foray into PvP in Dark Age of Camelot.

- Being the lone survivor of my 3v3 team in a WoW arena battle where my teammates died early and I had to I kill all 3 enemies to win the match.

- The final cutscene of my Jedi Knight's story in The Old Republic actually gave me goose bumps.

- The satisfaction of soloing a terrorist hunt with only a pistol in Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 on the hardest difficulty setting.

- Finally beating my best friend in Need for Speed.

Honestly, if I had to pick one thing that I would call "the greatest" from my 30+ year history of playing games, it's not the game itself but the friendships I have made playing those games.

First time I've seen you here o_o

...come back more!

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.. and gerbils on crowcaine."

This one's for Eric:

Why did you cut your hair? Your profile picture on the team page has luxurious viking hair, but more recent pictures it's short. What gives?

So, story is that I'm a young lad, finishing high school, and at some point in my life I'd like to get a job as a programmer in a company that makes games.

My main concern seems to be that I live in a fairly small country in northeastern Europe, which I'm quite fond of, yet it mostly lacks companies that make games.

So my question is: Would it be difficult to be hired by some company in another part of the world? And if so, why?

Every now and then the school gets a person per class to speak about themselves, offer some insight on how work is, explain some different possibilities on career and further studying choices, and stuff like that. Since I'm in an IT class, they usually get someone for our class who works in that field. And each one I've asked, they all said that working for someone in another country is not rare nor a problem at all in that field. And I mostly thought the same myself. Yet pretty much all job offers I've seen require you to actually live in the area and go to work in a building.

Why is that? And is that a thing only with game development or other computer-related fields as well?

So, story is that I'm a young lad, finishing high school, and at some point in my life I'd like to get a job as a programmer in a company that makes games.

My main concern seems to be that I live in a fairly small country in northeastern Europe, which I'm quite fond of, yet it mostly lacks companies that make games.

So my question is: Would it be difficult to be hired by some company in another part of the world? And if so, why?

Every now and then the school gets a person per class to speak about themselves, offer some insight on how work is, explain some different possibilities on career and further studying choices, and stuff like that. Since I'm in an IT class, they usually get someone for our class who works in that field. And each one I've asked, they all said that working for someone in another country is not rare nor a problem at all in that field. And I mostly thought the same myself. Yet pretty much all job offers I've seen require you to actually live in the area and go to work in a building.

Why is that? And is that a thing only with game development or other computer-related fields as well?

I don't have experience with working outside of my home country, however, I have been involved in hiring a few.  Each company will have its own policies about hiring foreigners, so there is no blanket answer to your question.  The concerns for a company would be sponsoring your visa and any applicable tax situations that are involved with hiring someone from another country.  From my experience, if you're worth it, they will hire you no matter where you're from.  So my advice for now would be to work hard, do projects on your own free time, be the best at what you do.  Be worth it and the rest will work itself out.  Also, don't be afraid to apply, even if they're looking for local candidates.  If you're worth it, they may make an exception for you.  The worst they can do is say "no" and you're no worse off than you were before you applied.

This game will destroy WOW. I for this first time purchasing and putting money into a game I believe! Just waiting for a paycheck! So stoked! Anyone know when 2nd Phase Alpha starts? That I believe comes with the 175 dollar pack and up?

This game will destroy WOW. I for this first time purchasing and putting money into a game I believe! Just waiting for a paycheck! So stoked! Anyone know when 2nd Phase Alpha starts? That I believe comes with the 175 dollar pack and up?

Hello friend! Welcome to the forum.

December 2016 was the estimate given during the Kickstarter. It should not be taken as gospel however as we all know things change during development.

Edit: oops

Edited by Hi!

Hello friend! Welcome to the forum.

December 2016 was the estimate given during the Kickstarter. It should not be taken as gospel however as we all know things change during development.

December 2016 is when the game will hopefully be released (subject to change due to life happening). As for the Alpha, I know pre-alpha is supposed to start this summer. As to when Alpha 2 starts, I'm anxious as well because I'm going to be playing too ^_^ But alas, I don't know when that will begin.

Can we have a Bard? If not as an Archetype or Promotion, then maybe a Discipline?

i-3ZQNFxh.jpg

December 2016 is when the game will hopefully be released (subject to change due to life happening). As for the Alpha, I know pre-alpha is supposed to start this summer. As to when Alpha 2 starts, I'm anxious as well because I'm going to be playing too ^_^ But alas, I don't know when that will begin.

We'll know more about future tests, after the first test is complete.  That's how testing works.  If we don't achieve the goals we set for the first test, we'll have a do-over on it (or more), before scheduling the next major test.  Game development is iterative, not deterministic, which is what makes it so exciting (and makes a lot of developers and  consumers crazy in the process)!

Gordon Walton, ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.  [Rules of Conduct]

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

What are your biggest concerns/uncertainties about the Crowfall design, the planned systems where you're thinking "boy, I really hope this works out the way it's supposed to"?

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

We'll know more about future tests, after the first test is complete.  That's how testing works.  If we don't achieve the goals we set for the first test, we'll have a do-over on it (or more), before scheduling the next major test.  Game development is iterative, not deterministic, which is what makes it so exciting (and makes a lot of developers and  consumers crazy in the process)!

Good description. The other thing I like to point out is that software dev is only deterministic in the most well-behaved and mundane end of the field. The determinism fragments for every innovative feature you add. 

Has anyone on the team every played Crusader Kings 2 before? and if so, do any of you think that it may influence the design at all?

Crusader kings 2 came out at the precise wrong time for me, I missed it and have just been trying to keep up with all new game releases since. 

Tully Ackland

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc. 

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

Hello ACE team,

I'd like to throw some massive love your way generally, for actually having the stones to make a successor to the old PvP centric games we all loved, and not another homogeneous grey blob of a WoW clone . If you nail it, which I'm sure you will, you'll do very well indeed - but either way, you'll have the love from a community for, if nothing else, actually trying to do something different. God bless.

I'd like to ask if any of you have played, watched videos of, or have any general opinions of Darkfall Online, or Darkfall: Unholy Wars?

A whole lot of the community from there are looking pretty directly at you guys (along with CU) for our next home.

Kind regeards, and love from the UK,

Sean/Xaine.

Edited by xaine