Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hadati

Types Of Wood

I'd like to see many different species of trees in the game, both deciduous and evergreen, that can be harvested.

Hickory and oak might take much longer to fell and process but are able to be crafted into much higher quality hafts for weapons. Pine, fir and spruce might take less time to harvest but be better for making buildings.

Also, as the seasons change from spring to summer to fall to winter if the deciduous trees could change their color and then lose their leaves that'd be awesome! Seeing bare branches on maples but fir trees covered in snow would really add to the ambiance of the game.

Unfortunately, not to women.

I like this idea, as long as it isn't expanded on ridiculously * cough forestry for minecraft cough * to where you have a ton of different wood that all fill a niche role that's only a TINY bit different than some other. Having maybe 5 different types would be great >.>

Thanks Fawne.

Yeah, I'm not stuck on oak and hickory either. There could be fantasy species that are more or less prevalent in different world based on the biomes (I.e. Leatherleaf grow well in valleys but Silvertips grow well in the foothills up to the snow line).

All this could be part of the parameters built into the procedurally-generated continents.

Personally, I would like procedurally generated trees.

Life is not a Destination  -- Enjoy the Journey

Stand back, then, my friend. Stand back, watch and learn.

wxDQ4r3.png

I agree. I have high hopes for CF``s crafting system, allowing for a very large and complex set of final products, using a relatively small set of materials, through a complex set of combinations and classes of material type.

For example, as is suggested by the Pre Alpha Alloy graphic and the crafting image:

Crowfall_AlloyChart.jpg

Crowfall_PreAlphaCraftingInterface.jpg

So as an example, the recipe could be a generic template of 'a Metal + a Wood + a Leather + a Bone + a Gemstone' = an Item.

And then each of those materials could be of different types, with each type having an associated attribute such as those shown in the Allows image, which in combination would give you a unique result. So using Electrum as Metal 1 would give your weapon, Critical Hit Chance, using Green Gold as Metal 2 would add Power Cooldown Reduction, using Wormwood as your Wood may give you added Magic Damage, and so on.

The cool thing about something like this would be the discovery involved in the shear number of combinations, and with certain materials being hard to come by, either in general or during a particular season, may result some end products being unknown for along time, or unobtainable but within certain windows of opportunity.

GW2's crafting system was interesting, but it was limited, and lacked real discovery. I hope with CF's crafting the properties of the raw materials are known, but the results and the recipes are less clear, and require experimentation and discovery on the part of the player. Tying materials to effect-types and their availability to seasons would be a fantastic element in doing that.

I agree. I have high hopes for CF``s crafting system, allowing for a very large and complex set of final products, using a relatively small set of materials, through a complex set of combinations and classes of material type.

The cool thing about something like this would be the discovery involved in the shear number of combinations, and with certain materials being hard to come by, either in general or during a particular season, may result some end products being unknown for along time, or unobtainable but within certain windows of opportunity.

This is basically a page from SWG crafting.  What resources were used in what combination was what made the item's quality, durability etc.

Figuring out the best way to make a specifically desired product was a skill that you had to actually learn and crafters guarded their high level mats and tricks of the trade zealously.

I spent hours tracking and documenting resource types vs combo's vs results.   I'm very much hoping that CF crafting has a bit of that in it.

pixS8Wt.jpg

The Chronicles of Crowfall           The Free Lands of Azure            RIP Doc Gonzo.

@oridi - exactly! Crafters would love to figure out what secret combinations yield amazing item results. No more hand-holding/guides.

Moar interesting woods, Ash, Cedar, Red Wood, Whatever wood they get Ebony from. and maybe some kinds of mythical trees.

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

Moar interesting woods, Ash, Cedar, Red Wood, Whatever wood they get Ebony from. and maybe some kinds of mythical trees.

I would tell you where they get the Ebony wood from, but the technique is brutal enough, and I'd most likely get an infraction for giving a graphically detailed explanation.

I did not play SWG, but everything I hear about it's crafting is very positive. It bodes well that Ralph is here and will likely take things in the same direction. The crafting system in GW2 was not terrible, but there was no mystery or discovery involved as I recall - I know everything will be found out and posted on the internet somewhere eventually, but I would like to see some level of unknowns manifest is possible simply through the shear number of combinations. Think Diablo2 and it's slotting of Runes and Gems in items to create whatever awesome or terrible thing you wanted.

@anthrage- It'd be cool if there were sockets and gems. It'd provide a sink for resources if you had to destroy tons of stone to find gems of various colors and qualities.

I'd expect for there to naturally be different kinds of wood, else the depth of crafting will vanish when confronted with the mighty bow. In reality, different types of bows largely developed from need and resources. Makes for a much more interesting game if people sometimes have to settle for a shortbow because they don't have access to the materials to make a good longbow.

This is an area where one simple gameplay element - seasons - if tied to variability of available resources, creates a rich and expansive flow of diversity throughout the entire game, from crafting to class builds.

Taking your example, lets imagine that Shortbows are made from Willow and Longbows are made from Yew. A force enters a Dregs Campaign, with no items or weapons, and must craft everything from the available materials. Early in the Campaign during Spring and Summer, wood of all types is readily available, so both Short and Long bow users re able to equip easily. As the Campaign enters Winter however, and The Hunger spreads, the Yew trees succumb to the cold, while Willows continue to thrive. With equipment and inventories dropping on death, before long all the Longbows on hand are lost, no Yew wood remains to craft more, and Shortbows are the only option.

This means not only does one of the long-range damage options leave the field, any character builds reliant upon it must step back, literally, while those favoring the Shortbow become more important. A group can't simply find the most effective specs and run those 24/7, whatever is meta at the time cannot be all you rely on...in order to be combat effective as a group over the course of an entire campaign, you'd need a rich and diverse composition in terms of classes/archetypes and weapon choices.

Certainly it is possible to go too far with this mechanic, and it would need to be done with care, but I think the end result if done right could elevate every aspect of Crowfall to the truly epic. :)

I'd expect for there to naturally be different kinds of wood, else the depth of crafting will vanish when confronted with the mighty bow. In reality, different types of bows largely developed from need and resources. Makes for a much more interesting game if people sometimes have to settle for a shortbow because they don't have access to the materials to make a good longbow.