Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Homun

Name Over Head

So, am I the only one who thought it was really anoying to have green/blue/white letters over our heads, when we are trying to do a serious pvp?
It's nice to know people and to recognize names we know, but, in a serious note, when it comes to pvp it is really... well, dumb. And more if the devs are trying to make a good stealth system -hum humnotinvisibilityplshum-hum... you might try to avoid this:

2y5mMJ.jpg

k76r5B.jpg

So please, if you are going to make a nice and beautifull , what was the word, visceral? world, take this in consideration.

It's pretty lame to go in a big fight and see this:

c2vaMx.jpg

( And yes, you could switch off the names of the others, but I couldn't switch off my name to the others. That's what is really interesting )

Edited by Homun

Well I think the option needs to be there to show names, but defiantly not like in GW2 which is obvious by the screen shot you showed. The main reason we at least the option to see is for accountability for our actions, thats what makes this kind of game special, your actions, your words your politics all affect how the game plays out for you, not showing/knowing names negates that :)

Based on the most recent interview, we still do not have an answer on this.

I am a fan of only getting a name when you click on someone.

Supposedly this is one of those things where the hardcore bros will flip their lids if they don't do it the way they want. So we try it different ways and if both ways are popular it can just be a part of another ruleset variation

I'd like to see them try an aura system. 

If a person is in your guild, they have a slight, yet visible blue glow around their character, if grouped, a green aura, if there's formal alliances or raids, say orange, but if they are neither, a red aura. You can then click on them to see more details, such as name and guild. 

Not sure how realistic this is from a video processing standpoint, but it would declutter the hell out of what happens in big fights in almost every MMO. Turning the names off sucks because then it makes it hard as hell to determine who is friend or foe. An aura system might go a long way to solve this, or, nudge it in the right direction. 

Rhend - SB - Hy'shen/Avari || Rhend - AA - LotD || Dynereir - SB - House Lok-ri || Magius/Amok - AC - Too many to list

I'd like to see them try an aura system. 

If a person is in your guild, they have a slight, yet visible blue glow around their character, if grouped, a green aura, if there's formal alliances or raids, say orange, but if they are neither, a red aura. You can then click on them to see more details, such as name and guild. 

Not sure how realistic this is from a video processing standpoint, but it would declutter the hell out of what happens in big fights in almost every MMO. Turning the names off sucks because then it makes it hard as hell to determine who is friend or foe. An aura system might go a long way to solve this, or, nudge it in the right direction. 

Auras have been tried in other games. The issue isn't any graphical requirement, it's that it's annoying to see everyone glow.

I'm against the display of names above the characters for practical reasons.

1) you cannot properly hide

2) it gives zergs a bigger advantage because they're more easily able to differentiate their allies

First vote: No names at all

Second vote: Only player names on mouse-over

Third vote: Player names above the character

Fourth vote: Player and Clan name above the character

I'd love to see no names at all (first vote) but you're going to need to introduce proper items to make it possible to somewhat differentiate each other such as tabards, cloaks or banners with clan emblems. This also makes spying extremely fun. Imagine just walking with a random clan using an identical emblem so they don't expect anything? I'd like that.

Edited by timetraveler

I'd love to see no names at all (first vote) but you're going to need to introduce proper items to make it possible to somewhat differentiate each other such as tabards, cloaks or banners with clan clan emblems. This also makes spying extremely fun. Imagine just walking with a random clan using an identical emblem so they don't expect anything? I'd like that.

Do it Game of Thrones style, Your armor/clothes are colored to that of your Guild/House/Family.

You can tell almost immediately who someone has allegiance to.

Edited by Teekey

UkBSCr2.png

CF.GG

Your primary source of Crowfall news, guides, and information.

I guess linking you to the Rerolled interview is the best, since they actually brought up nameplates in that one.

http://youtu.be/_mfs7iubYH0?t=27m4s

They don't clearly say how are they gona put it. This is actually the reason I created this post in the first place.

I'm against the display of names above the characters for practical reasons.

1) you cannot properly hide

2) it gives zergs a bigger advantage because they're more easily able to differentiate their allies

First vote: No names at all

Second vote: Only player names on mouse-over

Third vote: Player names above the character

Fourth vote: Player and Clan name above the character

I guess you are proposing a poll in this thread?

I'd love to see no names at all (first vote) but you're going to need to introduce proper items to make it possible to somewhat differentiate each other such as tabards, cloaks or banners with clan clan emblems. This also makes spying extremely fun. Imagine just walking with a random clan using an identical emblem so they don't expect anything? I'd like that.

exactly

Well, it's not bad to know people by their name. But, to add an example, if someone enters your castle and steals whatever, you can know who it is by posing your mouse over him? :/ it's kinda sad and throws away the rpg feeling

Maybe showing the name only when you are at certain distance, and when you click on the face ( if it is hiden, you can't obviously know who it is! )

Edited by Homun

truth be told the issue you're discussing is actually an exceedingly challenging one.  friend or foe has been an issue for warring parties for millennia.  the point of distinctive uniforms / tabards / marching under banners is so that everyone can see whom is whom.

while removing the possibility of a name plate over players/mobs increases realism and adds a degree of challenge requiring people to be more aware of whom/what is around them, it also makes targeting and directing in group pvp extraordinarily challenging as it's extremely difficult to determine friend or foe as groups clash w/o some form of reasonably discernible shared markings.

Edited by delghinn

delghinn.png

Friendly fire, no names until killed-by, no movement causes frostbite, random teleportation to keep people from grouping, and permadeath.

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)