Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

this game...

lovathon

Ive played now for about an hour or so... ive seen maybe 7 people? this includes making a level 25 character and going into pvp right away (which they shouldn't UNTIL they let YOU CHOOSE a faction, since i got this god awful SUN one). the way the game is presented is awful. the tutorials are pretty lackluster and just boring as hell, the pvp without any players is horrendous (so far i got killed by the only 2 people i ever saw around), the faction balancing is broken as hell by the fact that the Moon faction was overwhelmingly above the other 2 (either because of a lack of players or because all the players are on that team), glitchy sound when walking (it only makes sound 1-2 seconds after i start walking and stops 1-2 seconds after i stop moving....), super far distances for no reason to hand in quests and even just doing them, the lack of any voices and the regular sounds when talking to NPC's is so obnoxious..., the overall interface is terrible with everything feeling like its there to make it so much harder to actually open certain tabs and what not, cant even talk to anyone else to ask for help or ask questions since the trial locks you out of it (you can whisper your own faction... if you can FIND anyone that is even playing), the overall animations are so boring and stale especially in combat and movement (the movement just looks clunky) i was hoping that with the way the game looked and seemed to be in trailers and gameplay, that it would turn out that way, but alas, it is abysmal when you first log in. 14.99 for this? hell no, thank god there was a trial so i could see how much work this game needs.:excl: also focusing solely on guild play instead of having single player aspects built in will just decimate your population... or whatever is left of it :mellow:

JOINING A GUILD IS NOT A WAY TO FIX ANY OF THESE PROBLEMS... stop using that as a fix... group content should be the "fix" for any of these, actual solutions need to be done

Edited by lovathon

And how exactly is a new player supposed to find a "solid guild"? Plus, if he joins a guild and finds he doesn't like it and leaves, he's stuck being guildless for 24 hours.

If Shadows was an actual game mode, and not an after thought, then this wouldn't be as much of an issue. A new player could play alongside guilded players within his faction, and get a feel for the guilds out there. Or, if he wanted to remain solo, that'd be fine too.

1 hour ago, Sulong said:

And how exactly is a new player supposed to find a "solid guild"? Plus, if he joins a guild and finds he doesn't like it and leaves, he's stuck being guildless for 24 hours.

If Shadows was an actual game mode, and not an after thought, then this wouldn't be as much of an issue. A new player could play alongside guilded players within his faction, and get a feel for the guilds out there. Or, if he wanted to remain solo, that'd be fine too.

I concur. I hope the new leadership will invest time in Shadows. I honestly think the majority of player content should be geared towards Faction combat. 

Edited by praelian

Now you know why you only saw 7 people.  

Unfortunately THIS is the game.   This is why nobody is playing it.  It was promoted as a PvP game.  (not true, its crafting survival nightmare, which requires WORK to even get it to make ANY sense at all)

You have a map layout that is in all honesty INSANE.  It makes ZERO sense period.

You have NO faction lore, just 3 icons that apparently mean you belong to a "side".  (not to mention the devs think its "tactics" that you can just hot swap to ANY FACTION AT ANYTIME, yup, thats right.  If your side is losing, just jump to the other)

Game has now been picked up by another company.  In hopes the new owner realized the overwhelming MAJORITY of us backed this game because of Shadowbane and the promise of PvP.

I could go on.  Best bet is to just wait it out and see if any massive changes are made in the future.  Right now this game is a total wash.  I'm sorry it had promise but the dev's seem to be on a completely different mindset of what the playerbase was looking for.

best of luck and hoping to a complete overhaul in the future.

16 hours ago, lovathon said:

Ive played now for about an hour or so... ive seen maybe 7 people? this includes making a level 25 character and going into pvp right away (which they shouldn't UNTIL they let YOU CHOOSE a faction, since i got this god awful SUN one). the way the game is presented is awful. the tutorials are pretty lackluster and just boring as hell, the pvp without any players is horrendous (so far i got killed by the only 2 people i ever saw around), the faction balancing is broken as hell by the fact that the Moon faction was overwhelmingly above the other 2 (either because of a lack of players or because all the players are on that team), glitchy sound when walking (it only makes sound 1-2 seconds after i start walking and stops 1-2 seconds after i stop moving....), super far distances for no reason to hand in quests and even just doing them, the lack of any voices and the regular sounds when talking to NPC's is so obnoxious..., the overall interface is terrible with everything feeling like its there to make it so much harder to actually open certain tabs and what not, cant even talk to anyone else to ask for help or ask questions since the trial locks you out of it (you can whisper your own faction... if you can FIND anyone that is even playing), the overall animations are so boring and stale especially in combat and movement (the movement just looks clunky) i was hoping that with the way the game looked and seemed to be in trailers and gameplay, that it would turn out that way, but alas, it is abysmal when you first log in. 14.99 for this? hell no, thank god there was a trial so i could see how much work this game needs.:excl: also focusing solely on guild play instead of having single player aspects built in will just decimate your population... or whatever is left of it :mellow:

JOINING A GUILD IS NOT A WAY TO FIX ANY OF THESE PROBLEMS... stop using that as a fix... group content should be the "fix" for any of these, actual solutions need to be done

Yes the number one thing that messes up the new player experience for a trial player at the moment is the fact that you can't communicate easily with others through general chat (it's behind a paywall). When I started new 6 months ago, I knew noone, but bought the game for $36, and there wasn't a trial system, and I learnt basically everything asking questions in general chat to start, and eventually joined a guild early. There was no Faction vs Faction (Shadow) yet, but there were more new players at launch, like any MMO release, so it was good to find lots of people at the same point in the journey. You can't do this now, since that big bump of new players happened already. This happens with all MMOs, where you get a rush of new players at certain events like launch. To get that bump of new players, you need certain promotions and marketing pushes. For example, when the trial system was released, you had a lot of players again in the starter world, I'm talking maybe a hundred at the same time. I was helping new players and participated in 10 v 10 v 10 fights in the middle hotzone at the time. This might happen again if there is a big marketing push, say it gets another soft re-release with a big feature, or goes on Steam.

At least now there is an official discord where there is a new player questions section, I would use that if I was on trial: discord.gg/crowfall

But of course that isn't transparent, and how are you supposed to know that? I think linking the official Discord within the game should happen.

Otherwise, expect not many new players to churn through right now, but at the same time, the experience will be calmer at the beginning. Imagine jumping into big melees at the start of your experience, some people relish it, some people find it overwhelming. Now it has tilted the other way, but it works for some. I've had feedback from other new players who have joined my guild that they still find the threat level in Sky Point overwhelming as they are starting out, but we still support them where possible.

So God's Reach is the tutorial world, and they make it so that the large majority of established players avoid it to segment them away from being a huge threat to you, as you can imagine in an open world PvP game. The Sky Point map is actually pretty well designed for some fights, but also a reduced threat level where possible. New players mostly verse new players, but you'll encounter established players sometimes who are levelling alternate characters. You might find some relatively new players there too who just happen to be geared up by the guilds they've joined as well. 

The game is designed around a lot of interdependency for now to play optimally, but the solo experience at least is there for the faction vs faction stuff. But being a trial player really limits your experience of that due to the lack of chat. Many people here have hung around because they've been here a long time (not many new players on these forums). The solo experience has improved with every big monthly patch, they've improved that experience a lot, especially since you can change factions easily as a solo player compared to being in a guild. But for trial players, the lack of general chat undoes a lot of that. It's too easy to get lost in this game. They either need to continue to refine the new player experience, or give general chat to trial players. Perhaps if you are verified and have two factor authentication on your account, you can unlock the general chat?

The campaigns then are split to Faction vs Faction (Shadow), and Guild/Alliance vs Guild/Alliance (Dregs). The Dregs campaign functions fine, and has a functioning gameplay loop. The Shadow mode is a work in progress. The Shadow campaign currently is missing a key thing, which is more individual motivations to participate in the campaign. So for now, I would recommend just dipping your toes into the Shadow campaign to learn the game and how campaigns work, but if you really don't want to play with a guild, the game is really too much right now for most players. Playing solo is possible in the Dregs server, but it is quite advanced, and I don't think it is for everyone. It's a challenge for sure! Many people do it, and the rewards at the moment in the Dregs server is quite high if you are a solo guild. Have a crack at it if you want!

You can swap faction, it was a part of the tutorial quest chain (which happens when you do the tutorial option from level 1). You can do this freely in the God's Reach Earth temple, near the tree of life.

I agree the animations can use some work in some areas, but given the depth of the game, and that the action combat system scales well from small to large scale and performs well as well, there is still a lot to enjoy as your learn the game, if you feel like hanging around. I agree on a lot of your points, but I was in a similar position to you 6 months ago, and have helped new players get over the humps to enjoy the game after rough starts. 

If I was in your position, I probably would struggle a lot to keep at the game as well. I was the same at the start too. But after giving the game a chance, I found a game I really enjoyed. I've been saying from the start that they need to fix the solo player experience and the faction experience, they are almost there, but expect big changes next year as well as they refine that, there will be some big design changes in the works based on the feedback, including yours.

Edited by LashLash

On 12/30/2021 at 10:41 AM, praelian said:

I concur. I hope the new leadership will invest time in Shadows. I honestly think the majority of player content should be geared towards Faction combat. 

Wholeheartedly agree.

Players should have a route that does not force them into Dregs for lvl 10 materials.

Shadows should be a end game in itself.

That would keep everyone happy - the small guilds and soloers and the big guilds.

Agreed. 

I mean, the tag line was "PvP your way". 

Like,  "Don't come here if you hate PvP. But, if you love it, we got several ways for you to be competitive at it."

9 hours ago, Solstar said:

Agreed. 

I mean, the tag line was "PvP your way". 

Like,  "Don't come here if you hate PvP. But, if you love it, we got several ways for you to be competitive at it."

This game will never be considered "competitive" as long as people are sharing harvester and crafter accounts with impunity.

11 minutes ago, Dragline said:

I wonder if allowing cheats is detrimental to the long-term ambitions of the game.

Cheats and exploits are not allowed per ToS, the actions against it vary depending on the severity of the cheat/exploit and some other factors, but it can potentially lead to temporary or permanent bans. so i would advise against using such things.

Edited by KyriaThor