Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hadati

Skill Crafting System

If I'm blacksmithing a sword if like to have a system where, instead of just dragging items to their slots and clicking a button that says combine, I have to time my hammer blows and the closer I am to the correct time, the greater chance the item will have better stats. So, introducing skill to crafting.

Kind of like in Fable...

http://youtu.be/CveCGTOgpGc

Then crafting will be uber-boring. Like WoW. With zero skill. Just click a button and walk away while it makes 30 doodads.

The fun that comes from crafting won't come from some interactive QTE, but the fun of crafting comes from finding the best materials to make the best item possible.  SWG had a similar system to CF's proposed system, having item categories like metal, cloth, wood;  SWG has something like organic, metals, plastics, etc.  Using different quality and type of materials will affect the end product, the fun comes from the experimentation and trial and error that eventually leads to a awesome piece of gear. 

@wynta I can see how experimentation would be rewarding. However I think besides combining Resource A, B and C the end-product's stats should also be affected by how skilled the crafter is at the crafting Quick Time Event.

Within 6 months every crafter worth their salt will know what the best combinations are and crafting will lose its luster.

What makes crafting exciting is knowing the recipe AND nailing the series of QTEs and forging a legendary item instead of a lesser one because of your skill.

There is a little problem with this skill crafting idea, yes it would be awesome and fun for the crafter but it's something that can greatly effect the value of an item and could effect the economy.

I'f the skill test feature is client side then someone could use a add on or a program to get perfect hits every time, which would make their items more valuable and could effect the economy if a large amount is produced this way.

Now you say just make it server side... well then you have latency problems and if you click on a perfect time put it stops like 1/10 a second later you'r thinking wtf mate?

YannMLq.png

@cheewy - Yes and Yes. Server-side and you're at the mercy of the latency gods. Client-side and there will be add-on cheats.

Either way though I think this knowledge + skill system would be FAR more fun and satisfying than just clicking a button, watching a bar fill up and then passively looking for where the server placed the item in your inventory.

As long as materials have varied types, quality, purity and whatever, it's good enough for me. Having to actually "manually" time your actions to craft an item does not sound like something fun to my taste, even though I plan to spend a lot of time finding all sorts of mats.

Needing a certain level to craft gear and needing certain tools to gather specific materials is all I need, and more than enough.

“War is mass murder, conscription is slavery and taxation is robbery.” ― Murray N. Rothbard
alGxc9C.png
✣Junte-se a nós✣

That would require the server to create separate stats for every tree, ore seam and stone location and then track it after its harvested. Im fine with that but it'd be a lot to code.