Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I don't understand how I am supposed to play?

Taerylis

So, I have bought this account a few days ago, and I have joined a nice guild no problem with that. However, I don't really get what I am supposed to do?

I have 3 characters, one is in Sky Point, one in Shadows and one in Dregs. The character in Dregs broke her sword and despite being weaponsmith could not craft an advanced one as replacement because it requires some animal meat and the level of skinning is rank 9, so nothing happens when she skins... The character in Shadows has a common vessel but she can't get xp of mobs because they are level 29, even if the area is labelled "30-40"... In all three areas I cannot capture a fort and if I start capturing lesser objectives in the area an enemy comes and kills me in 5 minutes. So, I cannot for example capture a respawn outpost and farm a bit there.

I could farm a bit with my guild and they helped me with a weapon however there is nothing much we can do. What I don't get is why is everything advertised on map as soon as you move a finger? There is no fog of war? Why no mystery? If I capture an outpost the enemies should not be alerted unless they come check by themselves no? This gameplay seems to support the stronger guilds and is detrimental to the weaker guilds and players...

Other than that I reallly like the game but I don't see how I can make any progress. Maybe I should stay in Sky Point until I can farm enough money? Is it what this game is about?

How to play is a super-broad question. The game has a lot of sandbox elements, leaving it up to you to decide what your goals are and how to achieve them.

To replace that weapon in Dregs, you can import a new one from outside the campaign. From the lobby, click on the Vault tab, and then find the World Bank for the current Dregs campaign. Click on that and you will see what you currently have in your bank in that campaign, and you can import items from your Global Vault. You have a limited number of imports for each Dregs campaign. I think the limit for the current campaign is 65.

As for how to get a weapon to import, there are different ways to go about it. You can loot weapons from wartribe mobs or loot chests in wartribe camps or outposts. You could farm gold and then buy a weapon from a vendor in one of the player-run Eternal Kingdoms. (Check out Aerynth Traders if you haven't, it has dozens of vendors run my players from numerous guilds.) By far the easiest way to get gear is to join a guild and ask them to equip you. This is standard practice-- don't worry about asking for gear. If the guild you've joined doesn't want to equip you I would suggest looking for a different guild.

I haven't been in Shadows lately, but I am almost certain you can find mobs higher than level 29 if you check all the zones. You should also  be able find mobs up to level 30 in Sky Point.

The event alerts are meant to generate PvP. Without them the game would consist of a lot more un-contested capping and back-capping. Whether they are actually a good thing or a bad thing is probably a matter of opinion. If you are trying to find PvP, you'll probably appreciate them more. If you are trying to fly under radar you probably won't.

It is possible to play the game "solo," or to try to be as self-reliant as you can, but that is definitely the hardest way to play. It is highly recommended that you join an active guild that can teach you the game and help you move past the obstacles to getting started.

Edited by Jah

IhhQKY6.gif

The real answer is you need to put a request from your guild to make you a weapon and you are stuck without a good weapon for a while till they make you one cause no one gives originals to be independent, so they give you a so called factory copy which means you cant make another copy of that weapon so you are stuck waiting for others to do anything for you to be able to play, will be same thing for vessels when you level up, you are forced into grinding higher level mobs from shadows and dregs but again if you dont have the gear it will be pretty hard to do so. Its a vicious cycle, the alternative is for you to grind for months on end to get multiple disc high enough rank cause more than likely no one will feed you mats either to help you progress, but you need 2 people for motherloads lol. Only other alternative to getting a weapon is to buy one from one of the zerg EKs and make them money while you buy a weapon copy that might hold you over for a short while.

I don't want to kill more rats, fill another experience point bar or collect another meaningless badge. I want to play a GAME against PLAYERS, where my actions, my decisions and my SKILL will determine if I win or lose. Allies. Enemies. Alliances. Betrayal. risk. Conquest. To compete with THOUSANDS of other players for a chance to claim the THRONE. Even if i lose, the experience won't feel hollow. I don't want another worthless trophy.

PLAY TO CRUSH

It's PVP but without a surprise element... You can as well put all the players in an arena and let them fight each other...  It looks to me that this system lets a small number of powerful players control a larger area than a large number of weaker players.

2 hours ago, Taerylis said:

So, I have bought this account a few days ago, and I have joined a nice guild no problem with that. However, I don't really get what I am supposed to do?

I have 3 characters, one is in Sky Point, one in Shadows and one in Dregs. The character in Dregs broke her sword and despite being weaponsmith could not craft an advanced one as replacement because it requires some animal meat and the level of skinning is rank 9, so nothing happens when she skins... The character in Shadows has a common vessel but she can't get xp of mobs because they are level 29, even if the area is labelled "30-40"... In all three areas I cannot capture a fort and if I start capturing lesser objectives in the area an enemy comes and kills me in 5 minutes. So, I cannot for example capture a respawn outpost and farm a bit there.

I could farm a bit with my guild and they helped me with a weapon however there is nothing much we can do. What I don't get is why is everything advertised on map as soon as you move a finger? There is no fog of war? Why no mystery? If I capture an outpost the enemies should not be alerted unless they come check by themselves no? This gameplay seems to support the stronger guilds and is detrimental to the weaker guilds and players...

Other than that I reallly like the game but I don't see how I can make any progress. Maybe I should stay in Sky Point until I can farm enough money? Is it what this game is about?

Announcing the capture of outposts, forts, and keeps to everyone was implemented for people to find the content. But, you're absolutely correct that it's like free recon, and the groups best able to capitalize on that info can dominate a map with impunity. 

I would not be opposed to gameplay required to limit that campaign-wide intel to people not actively trying to own Forts and Keeps. 

Like,  if your alliance owns a fort or keep, one of the gods inhibits your alliance from seeing capture notifications outside a certain radius of your territory.

Edited by Solstar

1 hour ago, Healein said:

The real answer is you need to put a request from your guild to make you a weapon and you are stuck without a good weapon for a while till they make you one cause no one gives originals to be independent, so they give you a so called factory copy which means you cant make another copy of that weapon so you are stuck waiting for others to do anything for you to be able to play,

To be fair, anyone can make originals, and factory copies require more overall materials.  The only advantage is that copies don't rely on RNG.

6 minutes ago, Solstar said:

To be fair, anyone can make originals, and factory copies require more overall materials.  The only advantage is that copies don't rely on RNG.

And people do sell originals. They won't sell the best originals that they craft, but they'll sell stuff that is less than perfect.

IhhQKY6.gif

Yes I get the argument that people want to PvP, the thing is that it does not work because I am so weak that I don't want to PvP. When I was playing Guild Wars, everyone had the same skills, the same weapon damage and the same level so there was no issue with that, here I don't stand a chance vs even another level 30 so why would I seek PvP? I need to build a decent cha

1 minute ago, Taerylis said:

Yes I get the argument that people want to PvP, the thing is that it does not work because I am so weak that I don't want to PvP. When I was playing Guild Wars, everyone had the same skills, the same weapon damage and the same level so there was no issue with that, here I don't stand a chance vs even another level 30 so why would I seek PvP? I need to build a decent cha

*character first... I can't edit my posts?

I'm sad to say that you missed out on the first six months when guilds were able to farm mostly everything they'd ever need out of Sky Point without risk of losing it. They've patched that option out recently, and everyone who benefitted gets to carry on. You, however, will need to work at least fifty times as hard to get anywhere close to catching up.

Good luck! I'm glad you like the game!

Yes, it's a lot of work... I hope the devs will change the map display though, if you think about it they can hold a full map with just a few strong persons, if the map display was delayed by 1 hour for everyone who is not in the same territory then maybe that would be a compromise because you can still pvp if you are on the right map and then you cannot hog all the resources with a few strong players.

• 1 month later...