Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
karnos

No Free Information

Back in the darkages of online gaming time, I played an online MUD that included open PvP everywhere.  One of the key aspects of the game was that you didn't know anything about other players except what you could see.

For example, you might see someone name "Balok" fighting a goblin, you could look at him and see what gear Balok is wearing, you could watch him fight and see what he is doing as far as special abilities or spell casting, but there was absolutely no way to go /who Balok and see that Balok is a level 47 warlock, nor was there a way to click on Balok and see his stats or hp or anything else of that sort.

This creates an awesome atmosphere for world PvP.  You can't just seek out lower level players and kill them.  If you decide to attack someone, you might be making a huge mistake, they might be much stronger than you, but that is a risk you must take.

Recent MMOs have made things way too easy. Remove the free information. If my guy is a human warrior, but I want to wear a mage robe and act like I am newbie wizard, let me.  Don't tell people my class and level just because they /who my name or because they mouse over my character in-game. Absolutely do not have a web database armory where people can look up my exact stats and equipment.

Not good. 200vs200 give me a minimal plz, can't move north when my commander says so if I dont know which way is north. Lets not confuse convince with difficulty.

Not know inf level is ok, class is req for proper strategy. This would actually lower difficulty.

What is wrong with inconvenience to make you more aware? Remember the starting words, Where Did We Go Wrong? I admit even UO and SWG had minimaps. Too bad they were enhanced by those who wanted more convenience and less difficulty. I say work for it instead of having it handed to you.

I agree with you 100%. Go further. No mini-map in game to see where other players and mobs are. No maps at all unless players create them. Make knowledge a commodity.

Going further with this idea and creating another element for economic growth, is to allow players to become cartographers (skill like mining, or jewel crafting...) and maps could then be sold. If there was a terraforming aspect to the game, this would become even more valuable as the maps would need to be updated; adding to this would be the addition of migratory NPC mobs, versus stationary.

Going further with this idea and creating another element for economic growth, is to allow players to become cartographers (skill like mining, or jewel crafting...) and maps could then be sold. If there was a terraforming aspect to the game, this would become even more valuable as the maps would need to be updated; adding to this would be the addition of migratory NPC mobs, versus stationary.

OOooooOOoooOOOoooooo. That idea is very shiny. Make it something that you couldn't do geared for combat and add a layer of interdependence with other characters.

This could also tie into cross-factional espionage efforts, with the different factions maps obviously having value for planning, having information on what assets are where instead of having to guess would be very helpful.