Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
blaze duskdreamer

Rating? Family or mature?

This is only a guess. As I don't have the specifics...but I am guessing the profanity filter is a SECOND LINE OF DEFENSE against...well profanity or toxic words. The very FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE would be the Forum Rules of Conduct. 

So, in short, people don't follow the rules, they cuss, they get hit by filter and moderated.

maybe instead of astericks they should use a different word like rainbows unicorns and aumshine etc instead. On sbemu boards they use fluffy bunnies which is pretty amusing. Idk. Food for thought.

X6RBqg7.gif

So that's a curious question. Someone puts asterisks instead of the actual word. The post is reported because someone assumes a dirty word was used. A mod reviews, turns out it wasn't a dirty word. Could the player who used asterisks still get a warning anyhow for trolling?

At the site I was modding at it, it would ultimately depend on which mod took the report. If it was clearly malicious intent, post edited and warning issued. If it wasn't, an edit and no warning issued. Most of the mods would let most things go with just an edit, but sometimes a few would get over zealous and issue a warning for something minuscule.

So that's a curious question. Someone puts asterisks instead of the actual word. The post is reported because someone assumes a dirty word was used. A mod reviews, turns out it wasn't a dirty word. Could the player who used asterisks still get a warning anyhow for trolling?

The original post should show fully to the moderator. The filter just catches it as it is posted. Might differ with different software, perhaps.

Oh? You think there's a lot of leeway allowed on the forums?! Interesting. Can you elaborate please?

I dont know if I should like this for truth, or not because... well nevermind.

I wish there were more options than likes... can we get hashtags

#CantSpeakMyMindWithoutSearchableTags

k653rIm.png

Also make the profanity filter toggle-able, as I want to know what the ass hole is saying to me!

I can't quote this enough. Please allow us to turn off the filter if we're not offended by some colorful language. Playing profane mad libs is getting old and I just want to know wtf dude tried to insult me with.

2eyfm20.jpg

Hey everyone, just a friendly reminder before this thread is derailed for no reason.

Be respectful and courteous

The Crowfall forum is a safe and constructive space to discuss Crowfall video game content and related items. In order to keep this a fun place for all community members, there are a few ground rules that must be followed for all methods of communication.

It is okay for users to disagree with one another, but opinions must be expressed in a reasonable and polite manner. It is important to maintain an atmosphere of civility and respect, so that all voices may be heard.

Communicate constructively

All communication, whether between players, moderators or ArtCraft, must be constructive. Posts without constructive commentary can distract from the topic at hand, reduce the visibility of valuable communication, and discourage others from participating in the conversation.

Do not troll or make personal attacks

Trolling and attacking others, in any form, is not allowed. Trolling is posting with the intent to provoke an emotional response from another user.

Examples include:

• Non-constructive feedback or comments.

• Personal attacks: Do not insult, degrade or criticize any person or group of people. Personal attacks are hurtful and destroy useful discussion. Examples of personal attacks include calling someone stupid, saying "you suck," "I wish you would die," or "you should be fired."

• Attacks on groups: Attacking groups of people, companies, or user locations, including, but not limited to, home countries, is prohibited.

• Intolerance/Hate: Attacks specifically regarding race, politics, religion, or sexual orientation are grounds for immediate suspension or banning.

• Excessive Reporting of Posts: Using the report tool to draw attention to a specific cause, individual, or to bypass a forum suspension or a ban is considered trolling, particularly if used frequently for this purpose.

• Accusing Others of Trolling: Calling someone a troll to incite someone or falsely accusing them of trolling can also be a form of trolling.

•  

Abide by moderator and ArtCraft employee instructions

If you disagree with a moderator or employee's actions, do not discuss or challenge the matter in forum posts. Send an e-mail to support@Crowfall.com, and be sure to include your forum handle and game name, but NOT your password, and clearly state your concerns.

IMPORTANT: Forum content is moderated at ArtCraft’s sole discretion, and content may be modified, removed, or otherwise restricted by ArtCraft employees and/or moderators.

If there are still any concerns regarding my moderation, I am more than happy to discuss it via personal message!

This is only a guess. As I don't have the specifics...but I am guessing the profanity filter is a SECOND LINE OF DEFENSE against...well profanity or toxic words. The very FIRST LINE OF DEFENSE would be the Forum Rules of Conduct. 

So, in short, people don't follow the rules, they cuss, they get hit by filter and moderated. 

Guess the question is, why do you need to punish someone if the profanity filter already censored the post? I mean don't get me wrong, I totally understand warnings if people are jacking with the spelling of words and whatnot to try and circumvent the filter but if we're not trying to trick other people into reading words they're offended by and the filter is doing it's job, why do you need punish us?

You're creating more work for yourself essentially. The filter is intended to automate tasks that are far too tedious for moderators to do by hand. You're going back through and re-do'ing all the work the filter just did for you. Doesn't seem all that efficient imo, especially if these forums increase in size as retired SB/UO players straggle in making the task of moderation exponentially more time-consuming.

2eyfm20.jpg

Guess the question is, why do you need to punish someone if the profanity filter already censored the post? I mean don't get me wrong, I totally understand warnings if people are jacking with the spelling of words and whatnot to try and circumvent the filter but if we're not trying to trick other people into reading words they're offended by and the filter is doing it's job, why do you need punish us?

You're creating more work for yourself essentially. The filter is intended to automate tasks that are far too tedious for moderators to do by hand. You're going back through and re-do'ing all the work the filter just did for you. Doesn't seem all that efficient imo, especially if these forums increase in size as retired SB/UO players straggle in making the task of moderation exponentially more time-consuming.

I didn't make up the rules, I only enforce them. 

I am not really creating any work for myself, I am doing this in between School Work and League of Legends games:) Some Heroes of the Storm too. 

I would like to see a great foundation for the community, being respectful of each other from the jump, I would like to see everyone treated fairly and as equals, because we all should be. 

There is no place for toxicity of any kind on these forums. If you CANNOT follow the rules, and when warned, continue to be toxic, you shall be removed from this community.

I didn't make up the rules, I only enforce them. 

I am not really creating any work for myself, I am doing this in between School Work and League of Legends games:) Some Heroes of the Storm too. 

I would like to see a great foundation for the community, being respectful of each other from the jump, I would like to see everyone treated fairly and as equals, because we all should be. 

There is no place for toxicity of any kind on these forums. If you CANNOT follow the rules, and when warned, continue to be toxic, you shall be removed from this community.

Toxic? Four asterisks in a row in a paragraph of text now equals toxic? ...got it.

You missed my point though. Just because you have free time to do this in doesn't mean you're not creating extra work for yourself by going back through all the posts the profanity filter correctly censored and punishing those people even though no harm was inflicted on anyone that read the post(s) in question due to the profanity filter doing its job. There is no logical reason to go back and punish perpetrators of a victimless crime.

To be perfectly clear, I'm not attacking you personally nor am I violating the FCoC in any way with this post. I simply respectfully and categorically disagree with your interpretation of the FCoC and the appropriate ways to enforce it.

2eyfm20.jpg

We're going for a more mature audience with Crowfall, however, mature doesn't mean we'll let personal attacks or offensive profanity fly on the forums. 

It's our intention to foster a fun and inviting environment and where genuine discussion can be had. We're very much excited to start bringing you information on the game starting Tuesday. Looking forward to seeing what you all think!

Look, at the very least, it would be nice if the whole profanity thing was toned down a bit.  Sure, I understand no personal attacks and such, but sometimes, in a mature conversation, the use of profanity is necessary.  For example, "after awhile I ended up just saying **** it."  Technically, this would be against forum rules and would warrant a warning, though it's not a personal attack.  Sure one could say screw it, or gosh darn it, but why censor the community like that?

Full transparency here, I don't have any warnings or whatnot.  But that doesn't mean I haven't noticed the increased mod activity.  I KNOW swearing is forbidden in the CoC, so I constantly have to watch what I'm saying or reword what I'm trying to say, sometimes losing emphasis, out of out-right concern that warnings will start piling up cause I used a naughty word.

Swearing is not something I've ever concerned myself with on any forum anywhere ever.  But for whatever reason, I find myself being overly cautious here as of late.  Take this as a request please to amend the Forum Rules of Conduct from outright saying "Profanity is not allowed" to, idk, "Profanity is discouraged" or "Offensive profanity directed at another member is not allowed" or something.

Hell even the radio allows certain profanity in this day and age.  Hell, if you ask my parents I shouldn't be saying hell and that's a dirty word.  So profanity can be subject to some interpretation as well, which just adds to the confusion.  It would just be simpler to simplify the rules.  We're all adults here, mostly, so treat us like adults and let us talk like adults.  Which again, doesn't include belittling or personal attacks, just normal people talking to each other like normal people.

Edited by lucius

The Life and Times of Javert

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg