Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Schliems

Shape-Shifting Druid!

I don't know about you guys but i would love to see a shape-shifting druid! I know the devs wanting to go for a support class but i would love to see the option to having a druid to shape-shift into a animal or a nature element to combat other players while surviving the harsh seasons. Please comment if you agree or disagree on a shape-shifting skills for a druid and what animals/nature elements would you like a druid to shape-shift in?!

Well there are three subtrees for the druid. Personally I'd like to see:

1. Support- Some healing, poison cleansing, and CC

2. Shapeshifter- Able to shift into different shapes with different strengths.

3. Utility- Able to manipulate weather and the growth of plants.

One thing I'd love to see is a REAL treeform. Every game seems to allow druids to turn into this tiny little tree with no damage and healing buffs. Given we have things like champions I'd love to see druids take the form of a towering ent an f-stuff up.

You all know you want to see a champion and an ent beat the hell out of eachother.

Edited by Andius

"To hell with honor. Win."

A Beginner's Guide to Crowfall (5.8.5 Edition)

I think the fun of a shapeshifter class is they should make it so you can be ~70-90% effective in multiple forms of you decide to do that rather than min-maxing a single form.

That's the kind of stuff they can do in a game where having every party member 100% effective for that X man group is less important than than killing people in the open world with however many players you happen to have.

An example of how the trade-off is worthwhile. I have my wolf with very high speed and a hamstring ability that slows opponents. I run around in wolf form on the open map tracking opponents and evading groups too big for me to handle. Then I find a lone gatherer, charge in, hamstring them, turn into an ent, then pulverize them while they're slowed. If they start getting away it's back to wolf form.

I'd love to shy away from shifting druids into a more natural aspect. Taking control of nature and not necessarily becoming it. Perhaps growing temporary barriers from thick tree trunks, or taking advantage of the weather systems. Controlling all type of animals and wielding thorny vine whips that bleed. Something not new, but lost of late.

The more I think about it the more I like the idea of shapeshifting druids. Sure other games have it but those games expect you to dedicate yourself to a specific role such as tank or DPS so all your other forms other than the one you min-maxed become less of a serious thing and more of a novelty. An open world PvP sandbox is somewhere that versatility can actually shine. So specializing in 2-4 forms that you can switch between based on the situation at hand become practical and useful.

I'd love to see a game with REAL shapeshifters that become the role needed for the situation at hand instead of just min-maxers who only really use a single form in combat.

Edited by Andius

I'm fine with shapeshifting, but I bet most Shadowbane people wouldn't be.

On the contrary, most Shadowbaners love shapeshifting.

First, we had huntress who could turn into a Panther, then we had werewolves (two different kinds to be precise), wererats and werebears. I mean, WEREBEARS.

But yeah those should primarily be disciplines.

Just get werewolf discipline on your druid..... And be gimp as hell. Nobody's stopping you.

Heh. If there is a werewolf discipline there are other classes it would probably work better with but that would be cool as hell. Werewolf/Champion is one with the potential to be insanely OP.

A werewolf the size of a small truck, or a small fast moving werewolf that gets SCARIER when it goes back to it's normal form. Either works.

Edited by Andius

I agree with Anduis' comments on having the option. I hate the restriction on shape shifting into different forms that other MMO druids have (looking at you WoW). the whole idea of a shape shifting druid is having the ability to adapt to a situation by learning different forms to shift into. Maybe you don't start off with them all, but can go about and "attune" with various animals, gaining the ability to turn into them. The second option would be the nature spells, dealing out great amounts of damage by slamming hives of wasps into people, growing trees up in front of them to control where they go etc, or being able to control creatures around you to attack your enemies. The third tree would then be the ye old nature's mending, rebinding broken limbs with like the growth of a tree, eating flowers to heal and boost etc :P

I represent The Guardians! 

LIBERTAS ARA AMPLUS

Camraderie ~ Loyalty ~ Honor ~ Maturity ~ Integrity ~ Duty

Shapeshifting is a too easy way...

With Shapeshifting we lose our identity and the surprise on the battlefields. It's just like : "Oh a Bear-Druide, that's a tank" "Oh, A Tree is moving, he is a Support, let's target him"...

I'd prefer to see more temporary summoning animals spirits, weather spells, nature (tree, earth) spells :)

Ah but you see Shilbick, in that is its beauty. If you can have multiple shift forms, you run in as a bear, suddenly there is a wolf attacking you from the back etc. And if they make it so that the enemy is unable to tell you are another player, and that the animals, if you are of the same species as them, do not attack you (because you are "one of the pack" sort of mentality) then there is all the more element of surprise in it.

LIBERTAS ARA AMPLUS

I think druids have become to synonymous with shape shifting.  I hope they go a more creative route with the druid instead of the same thing that every other game has.

I'd love to shy away from shifting druids into a more natural aspect. Taking control of nature and not necessarily becoming it. Perhaps growing temporary barriers from thick tree trunks, or taking advantage of the weather systems. Controlling all type of animals and wielding thorny vine whips that bleed. Something not new, but lost of late.

Shapeshifting is a too easy way...

With Shapeshifting we lose our identity and the surprise on the battlefields. It's just like : "Oh a Bear-Druide, that's a tank" "Oh, A Tree is moving, he is a Support, let's target him"...

I'd prefer to see more temporary summoning animals spirits, weather spells, nature (tree, earth) spells :)

All of these three are my feelings on shape-shifting.

I only want it in game if its a choice, even then I still don't want it but i see the appeal so..

I think people are losing sight of the fact that if one of the druid specialties is a shapeshifter there can still be two that aren't.

It seems people know this, thus why no one is raging over someone making a topic about it.

I know i'm not to worried about it, even though i'm against it. if they make 1 promotional class a shape-shifting class I hope the others two are true druid classes.

Community Moderator - http://killonsight.info/

The Dark Forest beckons...

Define "true druid". You mean the ancient Druids who we have almost no verifiable information about, with no evidence they had any females among them and some reports of human sacrifice? The modern fantasy druid is far more based in fantasy than history. Like most modern fantasy it draws a lot of it's identity from Dungeons and Dragons, and at least in the version I played (3.5) D&D Druids do have shape shifting.

I personally believe their relationship with nature is highly romanticized. I have little doubt some of their rituals and beliefs included it but probably not to the extent of modern fantasy Druids where they are prettymuch the keepers of nature and value that role over any power they might have in regular human culture.

If we are to concede that D&D Druids are the closest thing we have to "true Druids" then I think spellcasters, wildshapers, and weather controllers all can be considered "true druids".

Define "true druid". You mean the ancient Druids who we have almost no verifiable information about, with no evidence they had any females among them and some reports of human sacrifice? The modern fantasy druid is far more based in fantasy than history. Like most modern fantasy it draws a lot of it's identity from Dungeons and Dragons, and at least in the version I played (3.5) D&D Druids do have shape shifting.

I personally believe their relationship with nature is highly romanticized. I have little doubt some of their rituals and beliefs included it but probably not to the extent of modern fantasy Druids where they are prettymuch the keepers of nature and value that role over any power they might have in regular human culture.

If we are to concede that D&D Druids are the closest thing we have to "true Druids" then I think spellcasters, wildshapers, and weather controllers all can be considered "true druids".

My thoughts exactly. I think there needs to be some form of choice from the get go. I mean we don't even know how progression will actually work yet. So maybe you have to achieve or do certain things to gain more abilities and skills. What if there are a limited number of abilities yu can gain, thus you have to choose what exactly you do. You want to be a natural magic druid, and hate shapeshifting? Maybe you have to meditate in certain groves, help tend certain trees etc. You want to learn to shapeshift into an animal? Maybe you have to help their pack or herd out, before they will allow you to attune with them.

LIBERTAS ARA AMPLUS

Summoning Druids controlling the beasts of the wild to serve him/her, a druid with elemental-based spell-casting or a melee druid that can shapeshift into full-on animal forms or half man/half animal creations.  Sounds exactly like the kind of druid back in the Diablo 2 days and it was fun to play, though if you tried to do all three skill trees well it was challenging.  

To have that kind of choice between the way to play a druid character would be ideal.  Choice is the key.  Druids have always seemed to present themselves in gaming as having multifaceted gameplay.  Druids in SB were mainly casters.  I would like the ability for the class in Crowfall to go either way, but done so in a way that you don't know what kind of druid you are going to face until you are face to face with it.  Even if shapeshifting is a thing, which I hope it would be.  Maybe the shifting isn't actually a form you stay in permanently.  Maybe it's tied to actual melee abilities that don't show up until you are in combat.  

wwsigcrowfall.jpg
                         ~For the Honor and Memory of Ahz Badaxe~

Since this is a Voxel world i want to see druids have the most terrain destroying/creating ability. Creating (temp) walls, making huge ditches, toppling trees etc. I get that druid is one with the wild, but it really needs to "shift" away from conventions like turning into animals. It is a long shot in itself anyhow with all the new animations that would be involved in making various animal forms.