Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Schliems

Shape-Shifting Druid!

I'd really rather see druids control plant life than function as bulldozers that tear up the earth and topple trees.

For instance in Wurm priests of Fo (the nature God) could pass through thorn bushes without damage and had a buff for helping others do the same. Taking that to the next step I'd love to see them quickly able to create a field of thorns that's hard to hack through. Perhaps create structures from living trees. Help protect crops, trees, and wildlife from the effects of The Hunger.

The way you described it sounds almost more like a horde of maurading orcs than druids.

"To hell with honor. Win."

A Beginner's Guide to Crowfall (5.8.5 Edition)

I would like the idea of shapeshifting for the druid but not from an active combat aspect. So many games have just made druid into just a shapeshifter. I like the druid caster with all types of buffs and offensive spells coming from nature and the elements and then possibly being able to shift into an owl or eagle to scout or escape dangerous areas or maybe being able to possess a flying creature's body and using it to see surrounding lands.

I know that this game is seemingly focused on the pvp applications or crafting possibility for each archetype. But, when it comes to shapeshifting it also adds a possibility of stealth. Imagine not a bear but a mouse, an eagle, an actual tree. Something that already is existing in the world campaign we are in. Learning that form and using it to spy on enemy encampments, for tactical advantage. What about before a battle or setting a trap for a raiding party having a group of trees you walk by in the middle of an attack become enemies and now your group is fighting on two fronts. This is what excites me about shapeshifting.

Since this is a Voxel world i want to see druids have the most terrain destroying/creating ability. Creating (temp) walls, making huge ditches, toppling trees etc. I get that druid is one with the wild, but it really needs to "shift" away from conventions like turning into animals. It is a long shot in itself anyhow with all the new animations that would be involved in making various animal forms. 

Although if we boost the druids environmental capabilities... that means it's damage output, and defensive abilities are decreased further............. I can see how we need more of an environmental type character. But if we do so it will have to be limited strictly to the environment play-style for that archetype.

Edited by Code2Protect

I know that this game is seemingly focused on the pvp applications or crafting possibility for each archetype. But, when it comes to shapeshifting it also adds a possibility of stealth. Imagine not a bear but a mouse, an eagle, an actual tree. Something that already is existing in the world campaign we are in. Learning that form and using it to spy on enemy encampments, for tactical advantage. What about before a battle or setting a trap for a raiding party having a group of trees you walk by in the middle of an attack become enemies and now your group is fighting on two fronts. This is what excites me about shapeshifting.

Pretty much the point I made earlier about the potential for druids to be scouts/ambushers by blending in with animals/plants around them

I represent The Guardians! 

LIBERTAS ARA AMPLUS

Camraderie ~ Loyalty ~ Honor ~ Maturity ~ Integrity ~ Duty

Shapeshifting is fun! It's such an interesting and awesome aspect you can experience in games. The Druid is predestined to be able to shapeshift! I'd love to play a shapeshifting Druid. Of course, other aspects of nature and other ideas people mentioned in this thread are interesting expansions of the role.

I love being able to shift into the form of an animal which I can't do in real life, sadly :-) Exploring the world as an animal is a wonderful experience. Discovering the world from the air in the form of an eagle or raven, swimming through the ocean as a shark or octopus, changing into a tree to camouflage, fight as a bear or lion, climb trees as a squirrel...wonderful things to do! Also having access to mysterious nature/elemental aspect spells is great.

Really looking forward to being able to do all that!

With werewolves confirmed shapeshifting just fell a great deal on my priorities list. 

I still believe though that this sums up the entire argument:

Maybe I haven't played the same titles but, can anyone name a game in which Druids have shapeshifting that it is not also a viable option to focus on casting instead?

Look at WoW, D&D, DDO, EQ2 etc. etc. etc. Prettymuch every game that comes with druids come with powerful spellcasting options as well as a shapeshifting specialty.

The argument that most games turn druids into "just shapeshifting" is nonsense, born of nonsence, backed only by nonsense. Shapeshifting is in almost every game with druids as an option because people love it. When you have 3 separate promotion classes for druids it would be madness to not make one of them a shapeshifter.

Edited by Andius

"To hell with honor. Win."

A Beginner's Guide to Crowfall (5.8.5 Edition)

I am not opposed to shapeshifting, I've always liked it lore-wise in almost any setting. I don't think it should be a default druid skill, though, but rather gained through a Promotion class. That way it sort of gives the whole shapeshifting its own prestige, and you don't just lump all the druids together into a big shapeshifting mess.

I would also love to see either summoned animals or spirits. Not necessarily permanent pets, maybe only lasting a set amount of time, but just part of possibly a more rdps focused promotion. 

Sneak home and pray you'll never know the hell where youth and laughter go.

Obsidian-ForumSignature.jpg

Perhaps they could use shapeshifting as a way of getting around? I don't think water will have much interaction, but it might be helpful if you could temporarily fly or cover more ground by shapeshifting. I think that shape shifting for druids is as much an iconic feature as fireballs are for mages and I'd be disappointed if it wasn't there in some capacity, but I'd probably still play one regardless.

I don't particularly like the idea of shapeshifting druids, as Sluce said in the first response to this, "Shapeshifting seems to have become synonymous with Druid" but honestly that probably shouldn't be the case, druids are in tune with nature which doesn't necessarily mean they need to be able to turn into animals... I'd be fine with them having aspects or something but I'd much rather see them shy away from shapeshifting.

Edited by Rayvne13

Uhg. I really hope there are no travel forms just as I hope there are no travel mounts. I don't want "travel" anything. After so many damn games where I am forced to dismount to fight, for once I want everything to have a practical purpose other than just getting around.

what if they implemented mounted combat? would the travel forms be really fast stealthy cats? if so I am okay with that.

Sneak home and pray you'll never know the hell where youth and laughter go.

Obsidian-ForumSignature.jpg

I would go as far as having "aspects or something (Rayvne13)." Consider that these are the some of the people who brought us Shadowbane though before you ask for shapeshifting and it never worked out there when it was for in combat roles. 

I would go as far as having "aspects or something (Rayvne13)." Consider that these are the some of the people who brought us Shadowbane though before you ask for shapeshifting and it never worked out there when it was for in combat roles. 

Shapeshifting was perfectly viable in Shadowbane, just had to make a build of it, like making any viable character. God knows how much I wrecked with my wererat scout, my WW aelf archer war, and my Werebear barb. 

But on a sidenote, I am trying to be a bit less active since this I am super excited for this game yet it's over a year and a half till release, so I wanted to know if anyone has heard how the Were-mechanics are going to work? Similarly to SB or more of a passive aspect?

Edit: Also keep seeing that people are saying that Druid has become synonymous with shapeshifting. I have spent a long time searching for an mmo game that I could play where shapeshifting was a mechanic, and the only druid-related shapeshifting I saw was WoW, EQ2, and DDO. 

Many other mmo's have druids without shapeshifting. There are without a doubt, more druids lacking shapeshifting abilities than those with them.

Edited by Clarden

Wolf or cat form would be cool for me, reminiscent of WoW's old feral talent tree. Considering Crowfall's druids are for now intended as a support class, I could see animal forms adding a few utility options to account for group needs in a tight situation.

Normally I'm not a fan of shapechanging, because it reduces the ability to see gear type on the character. iirc, gear color will denote attribute on crafted gear in CF? So, I'd rather stick to rooting and rotting with possible animal companions.

No shape shifting please...  

Be more unique and have them channel the essence of an animal?   There could be a nice little 'animation' of a ghostly bear/lion or other beast when they cast it.  Eye glow for special fun or change in posture/pose would be neat to identify what form a druid was in. 

Not a fan of companions either.   I'd rather see attacks/buffs that involve ghostly spirits of animals coming out of the air for support for a attack or short period of time.  Nothing that sticks around for more then 30 seconds and can be spammed for 100% up time.

KjUVOZg.png

Cantaloupes - Member / "It's a strange thing to see, that moment when the extraordinary becomes ordinary."