Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CherryLayer

Mount And Blade Ideas

After reading topics about how far ACE should go for/against simulation (finite arrow, mounted combat, body heat, defecation) it came to me that it would be nice to have some mechanics in Crowfall similar to what battles in Mount and Blades (M& B) had to offer.

Here is an example of battle you could fight in M&B: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msJSx5yR7lg

I know that M&B is a very different game compared to Crowfall but here is a list:

• When your horse (mount) dies it is dead for real and you fall on the ground. Anybody can then hit you easily as your are getting up. Mounts are s stretch goal so far but it would be interesting to use mounts in combat if it is done right.

• Finite arrows are a thing in M&B. You had four slots for weapons / arrows / shields so you can bring more arrows and no shield or even two or three shields with you in battle. I don't know if finite arrows are a good idea but at least in M&B it made you think before firing because you had a finite amount. Arrow were very deadly though.

• Shield destruction was a nice feature to see. It would suck to lose your *insert epic shield name here* but M&B shields were disposable. PvP in Crowfall will likely be base on risk/reward and for shields to be destructible means that they can also be easily replaced, boosting the economy as you have to replace your equipment.

Now I don't want Crowfall to be boring (as most people would hate to lose their shield, replenish their arrow, lose their horse) and fastidious as you would have to craft and farm to replace items you lost.

Comes down to my question to you guys, would you rather see disposable equipment that are easily craftable or epic equipment that would be indestructible ?

How about both? I'd like to see disposable equipment that is easily craftable, and epic equipment that is hard to craft.

But then don't you think that players would get mad if they *lose* their epic equipment ?

• Finite arrows are a thing in M&B. You had four slots for weapons / arrows / shields so you can bring more arrows and no shield or even two or three shields with you in battle. I don't know if finite arrows are a good idea but at least in M&B it made you think before firing because you had a finite amount. Arrow were very deadly though.

I hope they don't do this. Infinite arrows is one of the best quality of life changes that MMO's have made in a long time. Buying a ton of arrows was never anything but a nuisance anyway.

7ug90hM.png

But then don't you think that players would get mad if they *lose* their epic equipment ?

Yeah, that's the whole point, and what makes games great. 

I hope they don't do this. Infinite arrows is one of the best quality of life changes that MMO's have made in a long time. Buying a ton of arrows was never anything but a nuisance anyway.

No, it totally ruined any actual planning the player has to do. M&B was great because players actually had to put thought into when to shoot and how they should  balance what gear they bring with them. It's the easy way out for devs and removes skill and planning from the game. It makes the game easier, which is not what we should be going for in a PvP game.

No, it totally ruined any actual planning the player has to do.

There was never any planning. It was just "Let me rightclick this icon to buy a couple of thousands of arrows".

There was never any skill in buying arrows and/or bringing them with you.

7ug90hM.png

There was never any planning. It was just "Let me rightclick this icon to buy a couple of thousands of arrows".

I think the way arrows were design lets say in WoW was broken as you shower your enemies with a rain of arrows and therefore don't count them just shoot/use your skills. In M&B you had to count your arrows and make fast but good choices as you could run out of arrows and therefore make the most out of the limited supply you have.

I also think that having limited arrows and such enables more strategy in battles because each side would have to bring caches of equipment ready to use for people to replenish their arrows for example. You could capture / destroy there caches of equipment during battle and that would give some power to classes that use subterfuge and stealth as they could sneak in and destroy the supply lines of the enemy army (In the midst of battle I don't think an assassin could survive long against warriors and such but then it defeat most of the PvP as some classes would be less fun to play in big PvP battles)

I think the way arrows were design lets say in WoW was broken as you shower your enemies with a rain of arrows and therefore don't count them just shoot/use your skills. In M&B you had to count your arrows and make fast but good choices as you could run out of arrows and therefore make the most out of the limited supply you have.

I also think that having limited arrows and such enables more strategy in battles because each side would have to bring caches of equipment ready to use for people to replenish their arrows for example. You could capture / destroy there caches of equipment during battle and that would give some power to classes that use subterfuge and stealth as they could sneak in and destroy the supply lines of the enemy army (In the midst of battle I don't think an assassin could survive long against warriors and such but then it defeat most of the PvP as some classes would be less fun to play in big PvP battles)

The problem with having limited arrows is that you then have to balance the combat itself around that. If arrows are limited, you have to make them stronger than if you had infinite arrows. In addition to that, you also run into the whole "is it a good idea to bring bow users to this siege that might be 2 hours long, because they risk running out of arrows and becoming useless?" situation.

If raids/warbands have limited slots, then some guilds will probably decide to not bring bow users(or limit them) in certain situations, which wouldn't have happened if arrows were infinite.

7ug90hM.png

One thing that's almost for sure getting in is killing mounts. Which is great. Mounts should be sorta costly, but in terms of you losing a mount in a fight you expected to have one. And in resources. Whether it's breeding or taming or whatever, those mounts should be produced by a player, and then destroyed forever in a fight. 

That sort of loss stimulates economies. When it comes to ammo, the same argument applies, but I'm not sure exactly how I feel. That one sorta crosses over into tedium at times.

One thing everyone should take from M & B was how fun the mounted combat was. Seriously, to me that was the whole game. Everything else was bad to mehhhhhh. But running fools down? Stupendous.

Stuff will decay anyways. Either you can keep it in the EK or you can use it for combat in campaigns or other areas of the game that allow you to import those items.

After reading topics about how far ACE should go for/against simulation (finite arrow, mounted combat, body heat, defecation) it came to me that it would be nice to have some mechanics in Crowfall similar to what battles in Mount and Blades (M& B) had to offer.

Here is an example of battle you could fight in M&B: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msJSx5yR7lg

I know that M&B is a very different game compared to Crowfall but here is a list:

• When your horse (mount) dies it is dead for real and you fall on the ground. Anybody can then hit you easily as your are getting up. Mounts are s stretch goal so far but it would be interesting to use mounts in combat if it is done right.

Finite arrows would be nice but in Mount and Blade it is also on a much smaller scale. It's a single castle siege in which you can respawn or go into town after, etc. I agree, but as you know the numbers would need a big change to accommodate the scope of the battes.

As for mounts, I agree. I think the mounts should be a step above magically conjuring them with being forcibly dismounted having no penalty. The Elder Scrolls Online has this. The horse has a stamina bar and if you are hit after it is depleted you fall off your horse and are stunned for about 2 seconds.

There are lots of good design lessons in M&B (beyond those listed here), I've recommended playing it to lots of designers I've worked with.

Gordon Walton, ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.  [Rules of Conduct]

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

There are lots of good design lessons in M&B (beyond those listed here), I've recommended playing it to lots of designers I've worked with.

I've had it in my Steam list amongst a hundred or so games I've yet to touch.  Maybe I ought to check it out.

I've had it in my Steam list amongst a hundred or so games I've yet to touch.  Maybe I ought to check it out.

Be sure to have plenty of free time at hand. Because I've recommended it to people twice now and them, including myself, became addicted to the game for a short period of time.

Destructable shields are about as practical as destructable weapons, both can be broken and both can be built better, many shields in history were very durable.

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

Do you realize how heavy thousands of arrows are?? And how long those would take to make??

Life is not a Destination  -- Enjoy the Journey

Stand back, then, my friend. Stand back, watch and learn.

wxDQ4r3.png