Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CherryLayer

Mount And Blade Ideas

I dont know if anyone pointed this out but, M&B had instanced battles, when your shield broke it came back after battle. Same for mount.

This is true in a sense, however the items decayed in quality and horses did die from time to time.

yTzeAMV.jpg

Open world Mount and Blade would be hawt. Instances seriously turn me off.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

There is a fine line between fun and realism, finding the right balance is impt because in real life, realism is a chore. Isn't that the reason gamers are addicted to? To get away from the mundane tasks in real life. Why do people think adding realism adds fun and enjoyment to a video game?

a good rule of thumb is determine what adding that level of realism brings to gameplay. Example breakable shields, or finite ammo. The issue than is can the player carry a backup shield? Or carry stacks of ammo? How hard or easy is the ammo obtained? What is the time spend for the player to replace these resources? What about weapons?

Well, if the game is designed to have everything that will break thru wear and tear, than we need to consider the time spend by the player to replace these items. What does it mean to a player that have 2-4 hours game time? Will it favor the player that has 6-8hrs or more? Will the player with limited time find it fun to play if every time he Gets into the game he spend time getting the resources to replace his items?

Remember for a player to player interaction game, we need players since there isn't much PVE involved. Imo, the game should cater to casuals as well as the hardcore.

Don't know if someone said this but with everything needing replacement even your sword it only makes scents that there would be a limit on arrows.

Edited by OTR

large.png?1427076055

http://thetradecompany.shivtr.com/

Don't know if someone said this but with everything needing replacement even your sword it only makes scents that there would be a limit on arrows.

Not arguing for or against ammo here.

I dont feel like those two have any logical connection.

A sword can break, so we should have arrows?

Wouldn't it be: A sword can break, so a bow should be able to also?

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

But then don't you think that players would get mad if they *lose* their epic equipment ?

That's the whole excitement of PvPing with epic gear! If you can't handle losing something, just don't wear it.

Member of The BlackHand Order

This, wearing expensive stuff is risk v reward. Yeah you're 10% better stat wise, and you're 5 times as expensive. So you better make it count. There will be people who are pro and make some scrubs mad because "it's not fair he just beat us with gold." And there will be scrubs who think being expensive is an I win button and will toss a tantrum when they get killed by 3 people stun locking him first day out.

It will be wonderful.

This, wearing expensive stuff is risk v reward. Yeah you're 10% better stat wise, and you're 5 times as expensive. So you better make it count. There will be people who are pro and make some scrubs mad because "it's not fair he just beat us with gold." And there will be scrubs who think being expensive is an I win button and will toss a tantrum when they get killed by 3 people stun locking him first day out.

It will be wonderful.

Aye, the glory of the scrub tantrum is wonderful indeed.

Member of The BlackHand Order

Ragnarok online has finite arrows, but it is very easy to get/make more. So as long as people can make more arrow while out in the battle field somehow (goes off into the bush and chops down a tree or something) or have a bunch of quivers on their mount or something it would be cool. You also need to look how bows are targeted and shot? if it's like wow where your arrow is going to hit a target 100% of the time or if it will be more FPS (can hit or miss). If you can randomly fire arrows over a wall or something then having a finite amount of arrows would be required. 

It would also be cool to have different types of arrows (and lets crafters have fun)

Edited by miatribe

Not arguing for or against ammo here.

I dont feel like those two have any logical connection.

A sword can break, so we should have arrows?

Wouldn't it be: A sword can break, so a bow should be able to also?

I have no doubt that your bow will break also. The whole point is that things in this game are not permanent. Your equipment will get worn down and break. You will have to replace your sword, shield, bow and other things. But you will have and magical unlimited supply of arrows (Probably the single most used piece of equipment by anyone in a game like this as it is generally a single use item) that you will never have to refill. That is a logical disconnection to me.

Edited by OTR

large.png?1427076055

http://thetradecompany.shivtr.com/

You can have limited ammo per combat or per game day without necessarily having to go make a logistical problem out of getting more arrows. There's no reason you couldn't have a magic quiver which gives you 20 shots per fight and then refills when you're out of combat.

With that said, though, the effect of any ammo limiting system is to force ranged classes into a hybrid melee build. If the devs envision Stalkers as a mostly melee class which sometimes gets to pull out a bow for surprise awesomeness, that's fine, but if they envision them as a pure archery class then players who choose that class should not be punished with extra hoops that melees and casters don't have to deal with.

Edited by Jihan

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

wouldn't a simple weight limit, with arrows having weight, go a long way to solving this kind of thing?

then you make a choice about what you carry...and live with the consequences....like you know, physics...

could just be me

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

I guess the big question is: Does the act of keeping stocked up on arrows, and the fear of running out, provide enough fun to warrant the tedium of extra inventory management?

I can see the idea of biggish fights having arrow dumps, and runners going back and forth from it to the front lines. I can see that being fun. I can also see it coming across as a giant chore.

I have lots of hours logged into Mount and Blade and I will say that being a dedicated archer in a match has never felt like a chore because I was able to pick up arrows from dead archer buddies around and continue the onslaught. I'm still not understanding the argument against arrows really. Something like "having arrows just means i'll run out and have to go buy more." or, "its not really adding anything." First off you don't always have to buy when you can salvage and make your own arrows and second having to consider ammo consumption isn't any different from a mage managing his many or a warrior's stamina.

When it comes to Melee on horseback though, Mount and Blade of course nailed this pretty hard. The one thing is that eventually being mounted was unstoppable. If you ever modded the game that was the experience to look for really because one mod I had basically made it to where if you charged a spearman you were done, if you got surrounded, also done. Not to mention going back to archery, enough archers would mean your mount(and possibly you sans shield) would be Swiss cheese.

I think the combat from that game is a great example of perfectly executed large scale fantasy battles that need to be moved to a better engine like what we are looking at with Crowfall turning it into a truly epic game. Not to mention destructible castles, which is something Mount and Blade didn't have.

I disagree on that last part Gideon. For me M & B was pretty okay at having simy middle scale fights. The fights without modding never really got big. The siege combat was, to me the least form version of combat. Which is fairly different from the combat we've seen so far which is more action rpg than it is about the angle you swing from. Like, I don't think archers in this game will be plinking from really far away and 1-2 shotting fools, allowing them to reep forward for the easy reload. 

I am excited for another one that gets more things right though.