Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Rangers: Animal Companions

Rangers: Animal companions  

342 members have voted

1. 1. Should Rangers have a specialization to tame animals?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No. We're loners. If done right, the ranger is supposed to be the soloist, the true duelist, capable of running alone in all pve and pvp scenarios, albeit not the greatest.   Jack of all trades, mas

The worlds are infected by the hunger and everything in them will continue to become more insane and hostile as the disease spreads.  What chance do us mere Rangers have of reversing the effects of th

I think one of the rangers specializations should have an animal companion to fight for the archetype. Nothing would be more awesome to tame wild animals in Crowfall and have them slaughter enemies fo

This is not WoW.

If there are pets, I see no reason why all classes can't have pets.  There's nothing special about rangers that let them engage in training a pet that a Knight or Druid couldn't.   

Tying animal taming to a single class is just silly.   

There should be no "pet class" 

Unless it's a druid uprooting trees to walk around and smack enemies hilariously with their branches.

Hunters (or ranged damage types) with companion pets doesn't personally appeal to me. I feel that it limits my gameplay to solely letting my pet tank while I strictly deal ranged damage and manage two characters, in WoW for example. While it has its benefits, I'd rather see Crowfall's Ranger archetype allow for a more flexible play style, be it ranged damage, close-quarters melee, support, etc., fitting their rugged "one against the world" mentality that I gather from the character bio.

I guess if it's a specialization-only thing it might be ok. My problem with pet classes is that the pets either need to be weak enough that the other aspects of the class don't have to be toned down accordingly, or they are strong enough that you have to account for the pet when balancing the other abilities of the class. They are therefore either useless or required. 'Required' is fine if it's supposed to be a pet class, but I just... well... hate pet classes. I guess I feel that assigning a portion of a character's power to a (usually) dumb mob is just boring gameplay. I (selfishly) hope Rangers are more self-sufficient than that. 

I would suggest leaving the "pet" idea to those that can raise the dead or maybe druids that can temporarily influence the behavior of animals. Rangers should not be that class.

Exploration, scouting and master sniper from concealment, that should be the ranger way.

I don't want to die from a lack of shooting back!

In my opinion taming would not make sense for crowfall, maybe mount taming but even then it should be spring only.

As a crowfall campaign progresses it mutates the fauna corrupting them and how they act. If they do have taming, you should only be allowed to tame during spring and summer and will not be allowed to bring the tamed creatures to EK. Also, when a tamed creature dies. IT IS DEAD and cannot be used anymore (other than food/resource).

I see it as a crutch.

Post update edit:

My opinion remains the same, beastmaster seems like a waste atm...

Edited by kiroelmarok

[TB] The Balance
Nation of Equilibrium

Can you give me some examples of other Disciplines? 

Sure. Here are a few examples.

Standard Bearer

Rune Caster

Collector

Lapidary

Beastmaster

Ratcatcher

Blood of the Ancients

Berserker

Swashbuckler

Stonecutter

Commander

ho damm

Edited by mazh

2whf87a.jpg

The pet based disciplines from SB were by far the worst runes in the game, period.  They were poorly designed and basically left to be useless for the entirety of the game so that could unfortunately happen again.

I don't want to see core archetype builds be entirely pet based and I don't think a single discipline will do that so I am intrigued to see what utility it adds.

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

The update confirms that animal training will be available...

This I support as it then becomes available to more than just one class...The Ranger may get a specialized class (Beastmaster) focused on animals, but it is not the core class...

I like this approach immensely

Edited by Kell

The update confirms that animal training will be available...

This I support as it then becomes available to more than just one class...The Ranger may get a specialized class (Beastmaster) focused on animals, but it is not the core class...

I like this approach immensely

If the pet becomes the primary source of damage and it transforms the archetype into a collection of skillless custardtards then you have nobody to blame but yourself.  I dread Ranger just being a reworked Hunter from WoW but there others pushing for it and I just cannot fathom why (I blame Drizz't and those horrible R.A. Salvatore books) people think that letting a pet do all the work for you is more satisfying. 

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

Yes as long as the pet is for utility instead of a point and click dot with wings.

wiDfyPp.png

If the pet becomes the primary source of damage and it transforms the archetype into a collection of skillless custardtards then you have nobody to blame but yourself.  I dread Ranger just being a reworked Hunter from WoW but there others pushing for it and I just cannot fathom why (I blame Drizz't and those horrible R.A. Salvatore books) people think that letting a pet do all the work for you is more satisfying. 

Edit: I only voted in this thread, not replied (Other than the prior post you quoted)...for the record, I voted NO

I did however reply somewhere that I don't think Rangers should be a pet class...too many other games offer that broken option.

If any class can train a pet, the ranger is not going to be a "collection of skillless custardtards"

It is assumed that by offering pets as a trainable to everyone, Rangers themselves will not be a pet class in the sense you assume I mean.

I realize there are plenty of people coming in the forums trying to create the next WoW.

Don't assume everyone who voices an opinion is one of them. (although I see where my post could be interpreted otherwise ;) )

Cheers!

Edited by Kell

Yes animals might actually give the Ranger away. He is an assassin after all. Imagine trying to be in stealth mode with your cat, dog, horse, monkey sitting beside you licking themselves, or rustling through the leaves. The poor Lone Ranger would be easy pickings.

I think your thinking of the stalker. the ranger seems more like a greywarden but who are fighting a losing battle and just try to keep humanity ( or life in general) alive.  From what little we know about them ( from the archetype little story he has) anyway.  And tolkein rangers were good at team ambushes, they were a little stealthy but not loners. maybe they are like that.

No.

I do not think that the Ranger should be inherently able to 'tame' animals to fight for them - that's what Discipline Runes are for. (And character specializations/ promotions)

I kinda think the Ranger should be focused on things like scouting, tracking, etc. to be able to help their guilds/parties in long operations, especially since we just reached the Mounts and Caravans stretch goal.

Imagine ambushing an enemy caravan based on 'scouting reports' from your fellow Rangers?

I also feel that the 'typical' Ranger in MMOs today have pets/ or the ability to get pets as they increase in level, and I want Crowfall to stay the hell away from the 'typical' feel.

Edited by ClaytonRath

"The blade isn't the only part of a sword."

9 years of Ragnarok Online, 9 years of EVE Online -- Beta tester of Planetside 2, ESO, RIFT, Warhammer Online, SWTOR, and Elite: Dangerous.

I definitly do not think there should be pets inherently built into any specific class, or for that matter any class built specifically around pets. I do however agree (and am excited for) the prospect of having specific Diciplines that will allow for the usage of pets in any way.

This allows for further character customization and development and breaks away from the cookie-cutter feel of other pet based classes like WoW's Hunter.

My specific vision and hope for the ranger class is for it to be naturally a scouting and solo survivability based class. I dont mean solo survivability as in tanking 20 players or npcs, but rather focusing on having more resistance to things such as enviromental effects, hunger, and fatigue to name a few. Thus essentially making it a hardy scout (ranger) type class at home being on its own for 5 hours of playtime without having to rely on other players as a source of survivability.

Now being able to tame pets through a later learned dicipline, I think that is and would be an awesome addition to the ranger class as I envision it.

Imagine following a enemy guilds Caravan for 3 hours on your own, while simultaneously feeding movement and troop info back to your guildies. I would imagine the "Falconry" dicipline to help immensly in this favor if it indeed stays true to the nature of Falconry.

"This is no place for the noble or young, born with the taste of blood on our tongues"

3 years SWTOR - 7 years LOTRO - Beta tester ESO - 4 years WoW - Beta tester RIFT

6TfiDku.gif

$1.7 million Stretch Reward: Combat-enabled Pets!

Tame wild creatures to act as your companion, and craft magical figurines to summon to them to your aid! These Combat-ready pets are built as an extension to the mounts system, and will be useful for ALL archetypes -- they are not limited to a particular class or playstyle!

Oooh daaaaaaaaaaamm

ForPOJQ.gif

2whf87a.jpg