Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TehBacon

Flying Mounts

I have always loved flying mounts in MMOs, and I think it would be cool in Crownfall.

Discuss what you think. Will it work? What would be the biggest problems? How could they solve this?

I think the biggest problem will be defendig forts from flying attackers, maybe placing ballistas or something like that on top of the walls to defend against them would work?

If it was part of a taming system i'd be cool with it. let players tame flying creatures from the environment. Make it so their is a limited supply of them in a campaign. Have them go away on death.

I don't think they should be the norm. They should be something that is used for decisive battles.  

Maybe not flying mounts, but flying pets, I like the idea of a messenger pigeon sent back to your castle when you're under attack

This then opens up shooting pigeons for a laugh

Edited by Dredja

Edgy

I'd like to see some flying mounts if the realms are unprecedentedly large for a mmorpg and I mean really large.

Since the realms are made procedurally it should be possible to make them extremely large. (64-bit and double-precision floating-point needed I'd guess) Could make each realm larger than Earth if they wanted to, but then it might be hard to find other players.

Edited by Azurite

No Flying mounts ruin PvP and make ppl skip content

also what will be the point of flying over castle walls...

...obstacles do not exist to be surrendered to, but only to be broken. "***** ******"
I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion. "Alexander the Great"

I'm personally not a fan of flying combat as it allows players to avoid player interactions. In saying that if they do something different which causes it so people came skip players like air combat or something or brining a flying creature to the group.

YannMLq.png

To many negatives. I don't even want to see flight paths because the game is about economy and having an easy path negates the ability for people to set up strategic locations to hamper other players/factions trade routes/supply lines.

Edited by vunak

No. Nope. No, no ,no, Hell no. God no, No.

Flying invariably trivializes SOOOOOO many things right off the bat: open world pvp, the need for environmental hazards or barriers, need for mobs, much of the work and craft put into designing the game world, need for simple things like WALKING. There is NO advantage for flying other than to cater to easy-mode players who want to go fast or those who just want to skip content. Flight in MMO's has never been handled properly in a way that complements or enriches gameplay or content wi th out outright trivializing major aspects of the game and gameplay.

Tbh, I'm not thrilled about adding mounts either, most times mounts ONLY serve as a speed buff that allows the player to go faster (whoop-de-doo) with again the same issues of trivializing pvp encounters by giving an easy out for players to run (these are thrilling, 2 mounts running at the same speed while a coward flees #sarcasm) or to outrun mobs and environmental hazards. If they add mounted combat, this may add an interesting dynamic and opportunities for counterplay to add another dimension to combat (chases would be much more interesting, and there also the option of charging uour foes in an ambush), but this would require a lot of work, and also create a rift between new and veteran players (the mounted vs those without mounts), setting up a lot of balance problems in the future.

Edited by RKNM

Although flying mounts are fun for exploration and traveling around, I have to agree that it does remove too much from PvP and social engagement. 

GLIDING however, requires a bit more strategy and skill... while adding a little more depth to PvP.  I loved the gliding in Aion, especially in 1v1+ skirmishes, and ArcheAge actually did a decent job with the gliders as well.  In ArcheAge, gliders do have weaponized gliders, but the damage was so small, it was rarely used.

NO for Flying, YES for Gliding.

> Suddenly, a Nyt appears in the discussion...

I agree to no flying mounts but then I had an idea. What about a way to limit it by time and make it rare and random. Taming a creature of the sky would be dangerous to nearly impossible, so you can only ride for a limited amount of time and while you're riding there is a large chance of being booted off your ride mid flight. This makes people willing to ride like that big risk takers. Also you can't keep them and they have to be mounted in the wild.

I like limited duration flight.  Forsaken World has this, Archeage has this, and another F2P which isn't being updated.

If done correctly you could explore better and view sights you couldn't from the ground.  If the duration is limited then it wouldn't be a problem.  I'm talking 30s - 2m of flight depending on the tier of flying mount.

etDenA9.png
Camaraderie ~ Loyalty ~ Honor ~ Maturity ~ Integrity ~ Duty

Gliders are limited flight and require elevation to take off.  Players on gliders attempting to avoid PvP can be shot down, which they'll take fall damage as well.

> Suddenly, a Nyt appears in the discussion...

I'd like everything to have a deep interaction with strategy and gameplay, so flying gameplay would be great, but universal flying mounts would be bad.

In order to include flying as a practical part of combat, it should be archetype locked to Fae and other archetypes which fit the balance of advantages and disadvantages.

Flight can include a variety of mechanisms and gameplay which keep its strategic and interactive in battle with other archetypes that do not fly. Not incredibly fast, not incredibly high, interactive with projectile fire while avoiding melee combat to an extent.

Great flight gameplay would be amazing, but I'd like it as a feature of archetype depth and identity rather than a universal convenience feature.

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P