Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Kickstarter Incentives (Or Lack Thereof)

Tyroki

Back this game because you believe not because you hope for the most pixel reward to get u in the door.

Well, For me I will back the 34 dollars but as it has been stated in this thread there just really isn't much reason to go much further unless you back a much larger amount. Of course there are those that disagree and that's all well and good and I respect that. I personally just think that it should be more enticing to go the extra mile to back that higher amount even if it's to get some small stuff like some cool looking cosmetic stuff.

I have to agree with you Mendoza because I believe that's why the Devs are making this game. FFA pvp with loot is something I have been looking for and lately nothing has come close. I'm sick and tired really of WoW with its Arenas and battlegrounds and this Crowfall game just might fill the spot with what I have been looking for the last 10+ years. 

I personally like the campaigns idea because you have to go out and fight for resources to use to craft stuff, and it makes the game more interesting that way. I wouldn't have backed the kickstarter  with Amber Patron if I didn't really like all the ideas I have seen to date. Heck since the inception of Kickstarter this is the first project I have funded too.^^

I do need to ask though: Why did you choose the Amber Pledge? Why that one specifically?

No offense guys, but your incentives aren't really that incentivising until the $250 mark.

There is honestly no reason to go above the $40 point unless you're willing to go $250 or higher.

IMO, the biggest incentive for people to support games in kickstarter/crowdfunding are the exclusives they will get. Sure, content and making it even with in-game purchases is also important but, if I know I'm gonna be one of the only and few that will have something exclusive in a game that I might actually like and play it for a few years, then yes, I'll drop some cash for that exclusiveness which will make me so freaking cool in-game. I think most of the people that are into kickstarter projects care for cosmetics and exclusive stuff. Or maybe I'm wrong, I don't know.

“War is mass murder, conscription is slavery and taxation is robbery.” ― Murray N. Rothbard
alGxc9C.png
✣Junte-se a nós✣

IMO, the biggest incentive for people to support games in kickstarter/crowdfunding are the exclusives they will get. Sure, content and making it even with in-game purchases is also important but, if I know I'm gonna be one of the only and few that will have something exclusive in a game that I might actually like and play it for a few years, then yes, I'll drop some cash for that exclusiveness which will make me so freaking cool in-game. I think most of the people that are into kickstarter projects care for cosmetics and exclusive stuff. Or maybe I'm wrong, I don't know.

Of course. Everyone loves exclusives. They make you feel special, since not many people would have them.

Ive seen a few KS's now and some give more, some less. I thought these were in the middle. You didn't really feel like you were getting more than you put in until like $175ish but once you hit that point it felt like you got a lot back just in Vet time alone. /shrug

Edited by Tierless

I role play a wordsmith.

I do need to ask though: Why did you choose the Amber Pledge? Why that one specifically?

Because 5 min before I had to go to work....9 am est....the kickstarted site was up.......

I have. 7k limit on my cc.....2.7k this month was paying for my HiBu/yellowbook advertising for my business.....2k was on newegg equipment building pcs for friends in my spare time(and as much as I love my friends they r slow to pay me back)....300 for my health insurance....300 cell bill....150 for electric....540 to fill my oil tank (it's cold in New England)....1.8k to pay my property tax.........you see bills can suck....soooo until those r all paid I am kinda limited....I'm hoping by end of kicker starter to be able to raise to 500+.......but I also have an awesome girlfriend who I'd. Like to propose to and the ring she likes ain't free.........

Any other questions about my finances for the month of feb to current?

Edited by mendoza

I turn dough into $$$ .....The Pizza King of QFT

Because 5 min before I had to go to work....9 am est....the kickstarted site was up.......

I have. 7k limit on my cc.....2.7k this month was paying for my HiBu/yellowbook advertising for my business.....2k was on newegg equipment building pcs for friends in my spare time....300 for my health insurance.....150 for electric....540 to fill my oil tank (it's cold in New England)....1.8k to pay my property tax.........you see bills can suck....soooo until those r all paid I am kinda limited....I'm hoping by end of kicker starter to be able to raise to 500+.......but I also have an awesome girlfriend who I'd. Like to propose to and the ring she likes ain't free.........

We didn't really need to know about all your finances.

Also, your throwing the rest of the money you have into a kickstarter, and not saving it up?

Sorry if I got a bit into your private life there.

We didn't really need to know about all your finances.

Also, your throwing the rest of the money you have into a kickstarter, and not saving it up?

Sorry if I got a bit into your private life there.

Don't think taking $$$ out of my 5-yr CDs is worth the penalty Taking money out early....also I don't see Roth ira option for kick starter payment so don't worry about me :-) I have savings.

I was just happy to back the game 5 min before the kicker starters technical start time.

Edited by mendoza

I have. 7k limit on my cc.....2.7k this month was paying for my HiBu/yellowbook advertising for my business.....2k was on newegg equipment building pcs for friends in my spare time(and as much as I love my friends they r slow to pay me back)....300 for my health insurance....300 cell bill....150 for electric....540 to fill my oil tank (it's cold in New England)....1.8k to pay my property tax.........you see bills can suck....soooo until those r all paid I am kinda limited....I'm hoping by end of kicker starter to be able to raise to 500+.......but I also have an awesome girlfriend who I'd. Like to propose to and the ring she likes ain't free.........

I think you took my question the wrong way.

I didn't want to know about your finances.

I wanted to know the reason why you chose the Amber Patron of all pledges.

Heck, why are you considering taking it up a notch?

What made you choose to spend this much?

For example, SnowMizer said he got the Sapphire Patron because this is his game. The game he's been waiting for, and will play. However, he wasn't willing to go up to the Ruby Patron because the rewards weren't good enough.

Another example, You, said this game is the first in a decade you've been after. That's your reason for going hard, you're considering going higher, but have other things to consider as well. Your finances really aren't our business, but you shared them with us anyway. So this is your reason, answering the question (though I'd like to know if in part it's because that gives the best incentives for its price)

Crow Master Roofus said he's been waiting for this game for 10 years. This is the sort of game he's been wanting for ages. He also went Amber.

What I'm saying is, one person went hard on the game both because they love the concept and it's something they've wanted for a while, but incentives did matter in choosing what level of pledge they went for. A second person has been waiting for this game for a long time. Then there is you who couldn't go higher, but apparently incentives didn't matter (at least that's what I think you were saying)

I agree with you. Exclusives are shiny things that you get to show off for being a part of the games funding programs. "Hey, check it out, I got this amazing Lion Mount because I was part of the kickstarter" for example. No one else can get that awesome Lion mount. I mean, they can get a Lion Mount, but not the awesome exclusive version you got. If they said the Arcane Weapon Recipe set was exclusive to Kickstarter, you can guarantee people would jump up to $60. Not all, but the crafty lovers at least.

It'd be better if we knew how many weapon types it can be applied to. If all, that's even more incentive.

Edited by Tyroki

Oh just to throw my moan into the thread. I hate physical crap. Why there is only a $250 level pledge that must have physical crap I then need to pay freight for later, or even to bother have it cluttering up my house is kinda short sighted. Same level, less physical items. You're up there on gameplay innovation for MMOs, but way behind the curve on thinking people care abotu physical crap that is worthless a month after the game is released. I'd prefer to pay slightly less (exclude the actual costs for the physical crap) and get the same perks.

Screw fluffy extras like t-shirs and mugs etc.  That's money that should be going into the game, not paying factories in China, and packagers in China, and shippers in China...

But, I'm cool with the cosmetic item stuff.  Weapon and armor skins.  Mount/caravan skins.

Just fyi though, for the physical copies of CF you aren't going to have to pay extra for shipping. :P  Kickstarter mandates the projects include shipping charges with the package price.

Edited by mourne

I think that too many people have the gimme....gimmie...attitude....even 50% of the threads on this forum are people debating things for a game that is pre-alpha as if it launches next week.

Of course this is the game we all been waiting for.........that's why I choose the 215 was doing quick math my expenses for the month of February were roughly 6.8k leaving me roughly 200 dollars to play w. Since our cards don't get charged till march that gives more time to back this game. Too be fair I didn't even read most of what I get......a digital copy of the game im fine with....

Why I want to go higher........easy better chance of a better game. UO pre trammel was in my opinion the best MMO player run economy...... Shadowbane offered meaningful PVP ....not too mention more race/class combinations still then most MMO. But these games both were buggy at launch .... UO had a lot of lag. Shadowbane had sb.exe's....it also had some of the best siege PVP battles I've ever been lucky to be a part of where 1-5 hours of a seige made all the bugs worth dealing with.

Game launches are the most important period of a MMO.....a smooth bug free launch = greater player rention.....if the PVP, game mechanics, and class balance is solid the you have a home run. The more funding ACE gets the better odds of having a feature rich, lag free, awesome PVP experience game.......

having played most of the MMOs the founders were a part of...it is a privilege to show support for a game that ideally if the vision succeeds I can play for the next 5years plus. I look at crow fall as an investment In my gaming future. For a game that shares my ideals in what I want in a game.

I put in $100 even though I was already disappointed with their sailor moon episode of a combat demo, and their new references of double jumps and such subtract from the idea of strategic combat painted by all their other language.

But I wanted them to have the money to have a chance to do something and I also support circumventing modern publishers from the development process. Beyond that, I own a small direct sales franchise so I appreciate the idea of trying to make a game direct from and to the consumer.

Let's just ope it turns out well :]

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

Screw fluffy extras like t-shirs and mugs etc.  That's money that should be going into the game, not paying factories in China, and packagers in China, and shippers in China...

But, I'm cool with the cosmetic item stuff.  Weapon and armor skins.  Mount/caravan skins.

Just fyi though, for the physical copies of CF you aren't going to have to pay extra for shipping.  :P  Kickstarter mandates the projects include shipping charges with the package price.

Hey, the sweat shops need money too!

I think the problem with the physical copy is... a lot of people just don't care about physical copies of games these days. Art books, sure. But then, not even everyone like physical art books. Digital is both cheaper and not so cluttery (bar maybe in a folder or on your desktop =P). But then not everyone gives a rats backside about art books to begin with. So it's all wonky.

Silentil, yeah, fair enough. I don't think I've bought a physical copy of a game in ages. It probably helps I don't even have a drive for physical discs anymore...

I think that too many people have the gimme....gimmie...attitude....even 50% of the threads on this forum are people debating things for a game that is pre-alpha as if it launches next week.

Of course this is the game we all been waiting for.........that's why I choose the 215 was doing quick math my expenses for the month of February were roughly 6.8k leaving me roughly 200 dollars to play w. Since our cards don't get charged till march that gives more time to back this game. Too be fair I didn't even read most of what I get......a digital copy of the game im fine with....

Why I want to go higher........easy better chance of a better game. UO pre trammel was in my opinion the best MMO player run economy...... Shadowbane offered meaningful PVP ....not too mention more race/class combinations still then most MMO. But these games both were buggy at launch .... UO had a lot of lag. Shadowbane had sb.exe's....it also had some of the best siege PVP battles I've ever been lucky to be a part of where 1-5 hours of a seige made all the bugs worth dealing with.

Game launches are the most important period of a MMO.....a smooth bug free launch = greater player rention.....if the PVP, game mechanics, and class balance is solid the you have a home run. The more funding ACE gets the better odds of having a feature rich, lag free, awesome PVP experience game.......

having played most of the MMOs the founders were a part of...it is a privilege to show support for a game that ideally if the vision succeeds I can play for the next 5years plus. I look at crow fall as an investment In my gaming future. For a game that shares my ideals in what I want in a game.

Fair enough. That's really not a bad reason.

But what I've been trying to show is that not everyone is in it just to make sure the game succeeds.

I mean they want it to succeed, but parting with money is difficult.

Believe me. I completely understand what you're saying, and I too would love to see a game like this succeed. This is what my guild mates and I call a Genre Definer. If they pull this off, Crowfall could very well be THE major PVP title for years to come. If they pull this off, which is where people get scared/worried. If.

But again, there is a lot of untapped funding ACE could be having which is twiddling their thumbs, waiting for a better deal. So far the $34, the now $250, and the $500 pledges are enticing to people. They give shinies. The $34 is shiny because it's $16 cheaper than the game will apparently be. Heck, for me it's shiny because I have a nasty feeling they're going to go the way of Regional pricing, and like every bloody company out there, screw New Zealanders over thinking we earn anywhere NEAR as much as our Australian neighbours... ugh. Freakin' hate Regional Pricing! So the $34 is incredibly enticing to me. But there is no reason to go higher.

If the Arcane Weapon Skin was for almost every weapon (preferably every weapon), and is an exclusive, then suddenly it's really worth it to jump up to $60. I mean, the $60 could do with a bit more enticing, but an exclusive weapon skin cosmetic you can craft and KEEP CRAFTING!? That would be awesome and very much worth the price. Suddenly that $60 pack isn't sitting at $55 worth of stuff for me - counting the game as if it were the $40 base pledge - (and others by the sounds of some I've talked to about pledges), It's suddenly up around the $80 mark. More if you consider the game will be $50. Suddenly you have $90 worth of stuff for only $60. Incentive.

I put in $100 even though I was already disappointed with their sailor moon episode of a combat demo, and their new references of double jumps and such subtract from the idea of strategic combat painted by all their other language.

But I wanted them to have the money to have a chance to do something and I also support circumventing modern publishers from the development process. Beyond that, I own a small direct sales franchise so I appreciate the idea of trying to make a game direct from and to the consumer.

Let's just ope it turns out well :]

That vid is actually part of what is worrying me about the game, regardless of pre-alpha content. It's what is making me unsure of whether to jump on the project now, despite my prior excitement. Well. Amongst other issues.

Edit: Also guys, just because I'm using myself as an example, please don't think I'm trying to make this all about me. I'm not.

Edited by Tyroki

At this point it's up to us to help spread the word. I don't care if someone donates 1$ or 10,000$..........every bit helps. It's all equal and relative.

Sharing on FB other media just getting the word out there.....and explain why it's important. If people need enough reward to donate they are in this for the wrong reasons.

If someone says I donated 5.....that's awesome...if your wallet allows more great.......just back the project...

Kick starting is like voting.....except here our vote counts....

Hey, the sweat shops need money too!

I think the problem with the physical copy is... a lot of people just don't care about physical copies of games these days. Art books, sure. But then, not even everyone like physical art books. Digital is both cheaper and not so cluttery (bar maybe in a folder or on your desktop =P). But then not everyone gives a rats backside about art books to begin with. So it's all wonky.

Silentil, yeah, fair enough. I don't think I've bought a physical copy of a game in ages. It probably helps I don't even have a drive for physical discs anymore...

Fair enough. That's really not a bad reason.

But what I've been trying to show is that not everyone is in it just to make sure the game succeeds.

I mean they want it to succeed, but parting with money is difficult.

Believe me. I completely understand what you're saying, and I too would love to see a game like this succeed. This is what my guild mates and I call a Genre Definer. If they pull this off, Crowfall could very well be THE major PVP title for years to come. If they pull this off, which is where people get scared/worried. If.

But again, there is a lot of untapped funding ACE could be having which is twiddling their thumbs, waiting for a better deal. So far the $34, the now $250, and the $500 pledges are enticing to people. They give shinies. The $34 is shiny because it's $16 cheaper than the game will apparently be. Heck, for me it's shiny because I have a nasty feeling they're going to go the way of Regional pricing, and like every bloody company out there, screw New Zealanders over thinking we earn anywhere NEAR as much as our Australian neighbours... ugh. Freakin' hate Regional Pricing! So the $34 is incredibly enticing to me. But there is no reason to go higher.

If the Arcane Weapon Skin was for almost every weapon (preferably every weapon), and is an exclusive, then suddenly it's really worth it to jump up to $60. I mean, the $60 could do with a bit more enticing, but an exclusive weapon skin cosmetic you can craft and KEEP CRAFTING!? That would be awesome and very much worth the price. Suddenly that $60 pack isn't sitting at $55 worth of stuff for me - counting the game as if it were the $40 base pledge - (and others by the sounds of some I've talked to about pledges), It's suddenly up around the $80 mark. More if you consider the game will be $50. Suddenly you have $90 worth of stuff for only $60. Incentive.

That vid is actually part of what is worrying me about the game, regardless of pre-alpha content. It's what is making me unsure of whether to jump on the project now, despite my prior excitement. Well. Amongst other issues.

Edit: Also guys, just because I'm using myself as an example, please don't think I'm trying to make this all about me. I'm not.

I wouldn't worry about it, as soon as the video came out and the responses came pouring in, they pretty much disowned the combat and said it's only what they could put together at the moment and that they weren't satisfied with it, and that they're considering better design inspiration.

Here's hoping they reevaluate their statements about collision and strategy and physics and say, "hmm, must make more strategic" :3

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

I wouldn't worry about it, as soon as the video came out and the responses came pouring in, they pretty much disowned the combat and said it's only what they could put together at the moment and that they weren't satisfied with it, and that they're considering better design inspiration.

Here's hoping they reevaluate their statements about collision and strategy and physics and say, "hmm, must make more strategic" :3

Heh, The combat looked like WoW and played like GW2 and didn't feel like that it had momentum or physics. Nonetheless here's to hoping as you've said. I am quite hopeful of this game as of thus far. But this is irrelevant since this thread is about the Kickstarter rewards.  :)

Edited by legionnaire

I put this in another thread but I do agree with some of the sentiment here:

Tere doesn't seem to be enough value in the 100-200$ territory and a lot of loyal backers would normally pledge in this area, so I think that is definitely putting people off. Camelot Unchained has 3,295 backers at the 110$ tier. As in that SINGLE tier. Crowfall doesn't even have a THIRD of that in the entire 100-200$ territory and there is a reason for that.

Crazy Talk co-co-co-gl

Guardians of Moonforest fangirl

Gotta be kidding.  These tiers are insanely generous.  Overly generous, IMHO - especially at the amber/gold levels.

If Crowfall had come at same time as CU, I suspect Crowfall would've had better success than CU.  And I say that as somebody that backed CU heavily and looks forward to playing both games.