Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mac

Kickstarter For Shadowbane: Age Of Aelfborn

I was inspired by Crowfall's Kickstarter campaign, so... :lol:  

My Kickstarter project begins! Help raise some funds for an amazing novel!

I have some outstanding rewards ranging anywhere from an eBook of the Shadowbane novel to autographed Limited Edition hardback versions of the novels. Also, large autographed prints of the cover art.

Be sure to share the news!

... isn't the Shadowbane IP owned by someone?

Edit: from wikipedia entry: "On April 13, 2012, Chinese gaming company Changyou announced it had acquired the intellectual property rights and source code to Shadowbane with the intent of developing a new version of the game, which would be titled World of Shadowbane.[8]"

Edited by seventhbeacon

"Darken the moon and conceal the stars; our Light will never be extinguished." - The Tome of the First Flame

LW_sig_concept_7b_lighter_zpsu0zpsinn.jp

The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home. Join us @ http://crowfall.shivtr.com

... isn't the Shadowbane IP owned by someone?

Edit: from wikipedia entry: "On April 13, 2012, Chinese gaming company Changyou announced it had acquired the intellectual property rights and source code to Shadowbane with the intent of developing a new version of the game, which would be titled World of Shadowbane.[8]"

Yep, this wont even get started unless you get a license from Changyou.

He said this somewhere else, but fan fiction doesn't require permission (thus he sayeth).

It would be hilarious if a Chinese company actually sought litigation for intellectual property theft though.

It does if you're making a profit off of it.  Creative Commons license doesn't work like that.

"Darken the moon and conceal the stars; our Light will never be extinguished." - The Tome of the First Flame

LW_sig_concept_7b_lighter_zpsu0zpsinn.jp

The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home. Join us @ http://crowfall.shivtr.com

Yeah, Mac if you make a profit its a no-go and the only reason you'd need to kick start your fan-fic is if you plan to profit.

Granted you probably won't make a profit and ChangeYou Shadowbane disappeared into the night.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

Thank you for the concern, but I am not worried about Changyou. They only bought Shadowbane to bury away the competition and besides, this novel promotes Shadowbane.

Secondly, someone already copyrighted a book using the Shadowbane name, even though it has nothing to do with the true Shadowbane.

I am not looking to get rich off this and I am not quitting my day job, this is just a hobby. I am just trying to produce a quality novel worthy of true Shadowbane followers. ;)

Thanks again!

Fugger is actually Changyou, and promoting this proposition so he can get more loots from the lawsuit....!

You read it here first.

Somehow I dont think you're gonna get a lot of loot of the person your sueing has to kick starter a fan fiction.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

Somehow I dont think you're gonna get a lot of loot of the person your sueing has to kick starter a fan fiction.

Exactly!  :D

---------------------------------------

@ Jah, thanks man!

---------------------------------------

Also, another thing I researched... Wolfpack never filed for copyright since SB was not a literature item nor music or artwork. Nor did they file for patents... for obvious reasons. The only Intellectual Property hold they have is under Trademark, and the only Goods and Services it covers are:

Entertainment services, namely, a website featuring online computer games; entertainment services featuring services featuring three-dimensional virtual worlds with real-time interaction, software and electronic games, namely software games recorded on CD-ROM and digital video discs for computers; software games recorded on CD-ROMs, digital video discs, and cartridges for console and individual, portable gaming systems; software games that are downloadable from a remote computer site; and software games for mobile phones, personal digital assistants, and handheld computers, computer game software and CD-ROMS, computer software featuring role- playing, interactive three-dimensional fantasy worlds, and real-time animation

None of this would apply to literary works of art. I believe Wolfpack never filed for anything of this nature because they did not care if anyone wrote about Shadowbane. Now if I created another Shadowbane game, I would be screwed.

Any lawyers wish to chime in otherwise?  :D 

Another tidbit to consider though.

I cannot recall his name, but Wolfpack hired a writer specifically to create the timeline and history.  That writer may have copyrighted their work.  It could be that even if Changyou has the rights to the game itself, those may not include the work of this writer.

It may be worth some due diligence to discover this.  I don't think it would be hard to dig up the information.

Another tidbit to consider though.

I cannot recall his name, but Wolfpack hired a writer specifically to create the timeline and history.  That writer may have copyrighted their work.  It could be that even if Changyou has the rights to the game itself, those may not include the work of this writer.

It may be worth some due diligence to discover this.  I don't think it would be hard to dig up the information.

That was Sam "Meridian" Johnson, and no he did not. All Wolfpack cared about was the basic lore to support the game. Plus, my novel takes place 100 years after the betrayal of Cambruin. ;)

I work in law so I'm familiar with a few principals here. Without know too much about your work, you should be fine to an extent with regards to copyright law; as long as your book has a clear understanding that it is a piece of fan fiction which greatly differs from the original story and is not official by any means.

Trademark law is a different story. Just using the word Shadowbane, in reference to a similar concept, would constitute a violation.

It basically comes down to one thing, then three things.

1. Does Changyou or whoever even care? If no, then your good.

If they do,

1. How popular is Shadowbane?
  2. How similar is your book/story compared to theirs.
  3. How similar is your book/story compared to anything they have or will have market.

Or4vDvn.png

I work in law so I'm familiar with a few principals here. Without know too much about your work, you should be fine to an extent with regards to copyright law; as long as your book has a clear understanding that it is a piece of fan fiction which greatly differs from the original story and is not official by any means.

Trademark law is a different story. Just using the word Shadowbane, in reference to a similar concept, would constitute a violation.

It basically comes down to one thing, then three things.

1. Does Changyou or whoever even care? If no, then your good.

If they do,

1. How popular is Shadowbane?
  2. How similar is your book/story compared to theirs.
  3. How similar is your book/story compared to anything they have or will have market.

Even though their Goods and Services do not cover literature? As far as I found in research Trademark does not cover the literary creations, that is where copyright comes in... right?

Even though their Goods and Services do not cover literature? As far as I found in research Trademark does not cover the literary creations, that is where copyright comes in... right?

Its kinda like making a new book titled Game of Thrones.. The trademark GoT would not like another guy publishing something under their name.

Trademarklaw is different from Copyrightlaw, and this question might be better suited for a lawyer, and not people on a community forum xD

Edited by Zinnie

Its kinda like making a new book titled Game of Thrones.. The trademark GoT would not like another guy publishing something under their name.

Trademarklaw is different from Copyrightlaw, and this question might be better suited for a lawyer, and not people on a community forum xD

True :D

An excerpt from the book might help. Currently, we have no idea whether it's going to be something we're interested in reading, or a book filled with the ravings of a half blind raging spastic, like 50 Shades of Drivel.

Qy0vJXb.gif

Rotahsi - GL of The Seal Cub Clubbing Club

http://tsccc.com