Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
willwill

Progression? Camelot Unchained & Crowfall Comparison

So the point of the game is.....? Session based survival game? Then what is the difference compared to H1Z1, DayZ, Rust etc? 

Are you brain dead? Or have you just put absolutely zero effort into actually understanding what this game is about? I don't even have words to describe how colossally stupid it is to compare this game to survival sims like those.

Are you brain dead? Or have you just put absolutely zero effort into actually understanding what this game is about? I don't even have words to describe how colossally stupid it is to compare this game to survival sims like those.

Tell me brain alive man. I am here for a quite a long time and read alot. Open new horizons dude. I am waiting.

What I can see, you have your lobby kingdom and then you jump into the campaign with the certain number of items. You are following the rules of your campaign and in the end you port back to your lobby with the certain amount of items. While there you are building and fighting. 

The only difference is that this game has classes H1Z1 not.

Justin Bieber is doing the way better than Andrea Bocelli. So does it mean that he is better musician? Same to games, seems you love Bieber but I do love Bocelli's music. I want this game to be more like "hardcore" for the certain community with the solid player base such UO did, and you want it to be sold with the amount of 10 million and die in a year like TSW

You do realize that UO's "hardcore" community wasn't sustainable and once an alternative was offered (Trammel) it became even more obvious? I'd love for DAoC FFA servers to have lasted for years, no luck their either. While having a small community might sound good and be fun for you, it probably isn't enough to keep the lights on and a game going. Games need fresh blood and not just sheep to scare off until the next batch arrives. CF design allows for new/vet players to come together in a sustainable design. Much like lobby games and features that do very well. As I said, it isn't about being "better." You can't tell me how any game is better than another without it being based on some subjective criteria. Even though I'd probably argue with someone that said Bieber > Bocelli  :)

Regardless, I don't see anything "hardcore" about video games. Unless you have an unhealthy emotional attachment to pixels, not sure how any of it is hardcore. Oh no, you killed my virtual character, whatever will I do! Much more hardcore things in the world then that.

So the point of the game is.....? Session based survival game? Then what is the difference compared to H1Z1, DayZ, Rust etc? 

Do those games have victory conditions? Start/End?

Just for discussions sake, lets say CF is like survival games. What's wrong with that?

What game/design do you hold high on a pedestal that would be a better direction to go in? And why? Examples of features and why they would result in a better overall experience for all and not just you personally, unless you plan on playing a lone.

Do those games have victory conditions? Start/End?

Just for discussions sake, lets say CF is like survival games. What's wrong with that?

What game/design do you hold high on a pedestal that would be a better direction to go in? And why? Examples of features and why they would result in a better overall experience for all and not just you personally, unless you plan on playing a lone.

When you siege an enemy keep and conquest it, now you stand inside, emeies are dead and your clan is the owner of it, do you need a game mechanics to help you to understand that you won this part of the game, a day or may be more, depends on how long you were preparing for that siege. You need something to help you to understand wheather you won or lost?

EvE is a very successful game and it has it is own communicty which is growing, The amount of UO player is very high even after 18 years. So may be "victory conditions" dictated by the game is not the real problem of all modern MMOs.

They both have pros and cons. I love RvR combat and the mini culture it inspires, and how friendly it is to new players. You don't get that with FFA kill-all games like Shadowbane, and that's why Crowfall will have some Campaigns based on those rules. They are not bad. They're just not ultra-ridiculously hardcore, but I don't think any gameplay we get in Crowfall is going to be ultra-hardcore like Shadowbane, either, even in the Dregs.

The appeal is to mostly different crowds. I have a lot of faith in Mark Jacobs, and he's a good guy. He's also incredibly active and willing to communicate with alpha/IT backers which is hopeful, and his team is also breaking the mold in many areas of MMORPG mechanics with a hark back to some oldschool mechanics too. I think Crowfall will shape up to be a bit more "modern" feeling and possibly have more gratifying combat due to the action nature, and Crowfall has some great minds behind it that I'm sure will create some awesome combat mediums. (like the people behind SB's siege system!)

Watching both, and will play both. :)

Crazy Talk co-co-co-gl

Guardians of Moonforest fangirl

Wining a siege or a fight is a "Win for the day" for me. I dont need this thing written on my screen that "I won Camelot". I can understand it on my own.

And then you come back the next day and someone else have taken over the keep.

What is the difference?

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

And then you come back the next day and someone else have taken over the keep.

What is the difference?

You know, diplomacy and making a relations on the server wont take a day or a month. Discovering, creating, crafting, building, fighting, forum dramas, traiters, friends etc... In DF an average drama which led to the number of sieges were lasting 3-4 months at least. The difference is that when you are building a keep in a normal sandbox game you know what is the risk to lose and what you have to do to defend it and here you know that all the stuff you just built will be destroyed and you will have to do it again.. and again... and again... and again. It is like to play beta, get server wipe and start playing beta from 0 once again and again...

May be someone likes that. 

I find it amazing that this always seem to happen with any game idea.

After having followed quite a few games from the start, I am certain that the fault is with the player base and not the developers.

It was stated, right from the beginning of the KS at least, what they are trying to do with Crowfall.

They are doing non permenent servers for a reason.

It is not just tagged on there, it is a cornerstone of the whole concept.

They have decided to add EKs as a way for players (that like this) to have some sort of way of hanging up their "trophies". And maybe some added on side game fun.

This was pretty clear from the beginning.

Yet, the two things people focus on are

Why aren't the campaigns permenent?

Why can't we do (insert anything you can do in the campaigns here)?

On TOP of that, there are countless threads with the SAME questions.

Is it too hard to actually read a little bit? To search for answers?

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

When you siege an enemy keep and conquest it, now you stand inside, emeies are dead and your clan is the owner of it, do you need a game mechanics to help you to understand that you won this part of the game, a day or may be more, depends on how long you were preparing for that siege. You need something to help you to understand wheather you won or lost?

EvE is a very successful game and it has it is own communicty which is growing, The amount of UO player is very high even after 18 years. So may be "victory conditions" dictated by the game is not the real problem of all modern MMOs.

Wining a siege or a fight is a "Win for the day" for me. I dont need this thing written on my screen that "I won Camelot". I can understand it on my own.

Will CF not have that as well? Unless I missed something, it isn't everyone build up their castles in peace and then last day battle it out. Fighting over resources, POI, player made structures, etc will be on an on-going basis. Simply at some point there is a goal and a winner actually wins and not just a piece of the world, but the world. To me that is a bit more "hardcore" then capturing, burning down one structure and calling it a night.

Not sure what you consider "very high" but isn't UO getting like 1k players a day or something? Looking at your age, not sure when you might of played it, at least not during the "hardcore" years.

EVE is an entirely different beast. Much like Star Citizen. Again, different games with different design for different people. It isn't one size fits all. Don't like it? Don't play it. Pretty simple.

You know, diplomacy and making a relations on the server wont take a day or a month. Discovering, creating, crafting, building, fighting, forum dramas, traiters, friends etc... In DF an average drama which led to the number of sieges were lasting 3-4 months at least. The difference is that when you are building a keep in a normal sandbox game you know what is the risk to lose and what you have to do to defend it and here you know that all the stuff you just built will be destroyed and you will have to do it again.. and again... and again... and again. It is like to play beta, get server wipe and start playing beta from 0 once again and again...

May be someone likes that. 

Looking at the KS, appears lots of someones do.

Drama can happen in a matter of moments, there is no artificial time frame. One comment can split a guild in two or make an enemy out of a long time ally.

For me the difference is CF guarantees loss, where other games leave it up in the air. All that hard work might stick around and you might just become king of the world, where as in CF, you might eventually win, but all that work will be wiped away. Changes the dynamic and strategy. Time limits force players to act differently then if they have all the time in the world. 

Will CF not have that as well? Unless I missed something, it isn't everyone build up their castles in peace and then last day battle it out. Fighting over resources, POI, player made structures, etc will be on an on-going basis. Simply at some point there is a goal and a winner actually wins and not just a piece of the world, but the world. To me that is a bit more "hardcore" then capturing, burning down one structure and calling it a night.

Not sure what you consider "very high" but isn't UO getting like 1k players a day or something? Looking at your age, not sure when you might of played it, at least not during the "hardcore" years.

EVE is an entirely different beast. Much like Star Citizen. Again, different games with different design for different people. It isn't one size fits all. Don't like it? Don't play it. Pretty simple.

1k players on the official shards prolly. Check unofficial ones, UOForever etc... There are many high pop unoficials. 

Yes you can build a castle here (or not? maybe it will be build already and the only thing that players will be doing is the conquest "WHO style") and it also going to be fun. But if it taken by your enemy you could take it back. If it is destroyed by the "dying world" then you start everything from the beginning.

Honestly it is laso fine but comparing this feature with the instanced EK, which I hoped to be a pemament shard with a solid number of players, with sieges and a real gameplay, and not a private server. 

Honestly it is laso fine but comparing this feature with the instanced EK, which I hoped to be a pemament shard with a solid number of players, with sieges and a real gameplay, and not a private server. 

Where did you get this idea?

I am honestly interested, because obviously you are not the only one.

As soon as I read about Eternal Kingdoms, I thought that it was a nice addition to the game.

But just that, an addition just like having housing.

I find it hard to believe that someone was reading about how (and why) the campaigns where going to be destroyed, how we were going to have close to the same kinds of game play as in Shadowbane and THEN read about the Eternal Kingdoms and go "Hey, THAT is the thing I should focus on"

Everytime I am on these boards, I am wearing a permenent frown, because I am trying my very very best at understanding this.

1k players on the official shards prolly. Check unofficial ones, UOForever etc... There are many high pop unoficials. 

Yes you can build a castle here (or not? maybe it will be build already and the only thing that players will be doing is the conquest "WHO style") and it also going to be fun. But if it taken by your enemy you could take it back. If it is destroyed by the "dying world" then you start everything from the beginning.

Not going to bother finding exact numbers, but last time I heard, 1K was high for UO Forever, but I could be mistaken.

Have you actually looked into this game? Of course you can build and destroy what others build. Might want to take a look at the FAQ if you are unclear about basic details such as that.

If anything CU sounds more like player made "conquest" or whatever like DAoC/WAR, especially considering the same mind behind them all.

EK could potentially be something like you speak of, maybe not within one EK, but EK vs EK or whatever they are able to do with the tech and support by fans.

But wanting the game to be a tiny little "hardcore" community made up of a couple hundred/thousand isn't going to be any companies goal. CF won't be huge, but they still need to feed their families. 

Edited by Allein

I played a game called Shadowbane where I could do that. I also played a game called EVE where I could do that.

In neither was it possible to actually win the game. Heck, in those games I at least won a war here and there. I helped push CN completely out of Vorringia, and I helped RC completely take over Stain. The win over CN was permanent, but only because shadowbane shut down completely. The Stain victory, they held for a while. In both cases I won a war, had fun doing it, and got bored because all the nonsense that came after the win felt less important.

Unless Unchained is significanly different from DAOC, the war is literally designed to be unwinnable. It's balanced around three factions not being able to amass sufficient strength to completely push one another out of contention. Some people love that about DAOC, that there's always a fight somewhere. I always hated that there was never any winning that war. I'm sure unchained will be a great game for players that like quick and easy access to good fights, but it's not a game I want to play.

I personally like the idea that one can actually win a war in crowfall, and what follows isn't a stagnant mess of beuracracy or the eventual invalidation of that victory because the winners get bored or quit. I like the idea that if I win a war it sticks because the game is over.

It's not for everyone, but that is literally the point of this game. Winning wars. Not the trophy case that you get to admire between them. The EKs could be an achievements screen and I'd be just as happy, as long as I get to keep proof of those wins somehow.

Yes. Eternal Kingdoms are totally carebear and a non-game. That's the point. They're a trophy case at best. The point of any given game isn't to polish trophies, it's to win more of them.

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

I played a game called Shadowbane where I could do that. I also played a game called EVE where I could do that.

In neither was it possible to actually win the game. Heck, in those games I at least won a war here and there. I helped push CN completely out of Vorringia, and I helped RC completely take over Stain. The win over CN was permanent, but only because shadowbane shut down completely. The Stain victory, they held for a while. In both cases I won a war, had fun doing it, and got bored because all the nonsense that came after the win felt less important.

Unless Unchained is significanly different from DAOC, the war is literally designed to be unwinnable. It's balanced around three factions not being able to amass sufficient strength to completely push one another out of contention. Some people love that about DAOC, that there's always a fight somewhere. I always hated that there was never any winning that war. I'm sure unchained will be a great game for players that like quick and easy access to good fights, but it's not a game I want to play.

I personally like the idea that one can actually win a war in crowfall, and what follows isn't a stagnant mess of beuracracy or the eventual invalidation of that victory because the winners get bored or quit. I like the idea that if I win a war it sticks because the game is over.

It's not for everyone, but that is literally the point of this game. Winning wars. Not the trophy case that you get to admire between them. The EKs could be an achievements screen and I'd be just as happy, as long as I get to keep proof of those wins somehow.

Yes. Eternal Kingdoms are totally carebear and a non-game. That's the point. They're a trophy case at best. The point of any given game isn't to polish trophies, it's to win more of them.

I dont wont to look like that I am the biggest fan of CU ideas cause I am not ;) I am speaking as a DFO fan, but having a house with the rewards you won, heads (UO) or Clan Shields take from the conquested castles and placed into yours is not able to replace the thing called EK? I still hope that it will be possible to have EK like a shard from Shards Online.

While I haven't been following Shards as I'm not into isometric, I'm assuming you can have something similar. Monarch can flag for PVP and ta da, everyone can kill one another or however it will work. But it still runs into the Uncle Bob situation. If they wanted to copy the basic idea behind most other games of this sort, they could have, but they didn't and for a very clear reason. Trying to shoehorn in DFO or UO or any other game system won't work as it simply isn't those games or like them.

While I haven't been following Shards as I'm not into isometric, I'm assuming you can have something similar. Monarch can flag for PVP and ta da, everyone can kill one another or however it will work. But it still runs into the Uncle Bob situation. If they wanted to copy the basic idea behind most other games of this sort, they could have, but they didn't and for a very clear reason. Trying to shoehorn in DFO or UO or any other game system won't work as it simply isn't those games or like them.

But it is more like a private server since you could be kicked from it for killing the "EK" owner?