Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
willwill

Progression? Camelot Unchained & Crowfall Comparison

Nice update today about the Instanced pvp tournaments and such. Is this guild wars 2 now? The recent copy/pasting of CU already announced features is funny. But, i guess that tells you they were good ideas to begin with?

Hmm lets see... willwill vs will75 on the MMORPG forums. Same passive aggressive whining and rampant CU Fanboyism. Same chip on the shoulder for anything crowfall does regardless of content... Same desperate aggressive tone against any and all Crowfall content...

You could be different people. But the tone of the endless complaints and naysaying is similar regardless.

Edited by Ranik

So the point of the game is.....? Session based survival game? Then what is the difference compared to H1Z1, DayZ, Rust etc? 

I think you are assuming a lot friend. They are throwing concepts and a vision at us. All the details they don't even know yet. They will be doing a lot of R & D, most of which with our feedback to see what works. I backed their vision, and their intelligence, conviction and ability to do it. So why don't you throw up some good ideas of what things should be like :) I'm curious as to what exactly are the key things you do not like and what could be done that you think would fix it?

The EKs, in my opinion, are not "trophy rooms". I see it as a site for a marketplace, a city, stuff like that. Someone with a large amount of parcels might set up a marketplace and sell the parcels (taxed) where crafters can in turn sell their goods.

Edited by ShadoPandauin

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.. and gerbils on crowcaine."

The EKs, in my opinion, are not "trophy rooms". I see it as a site for a marketplace, a city, stuff like that. Someone with a large amount of parcels might set up a marketplace and sell the parcels (taxed) where crafters can in turn sell their goods.

Hehe crafters need resources that you get from winning in campaigns.

Which means only winners will have stuff crafted.

Trophies

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

Trophies

Agree

Todd made this comment yesterday morning not sure everyone saw it:

If you want to avoid PvP completely, you can do that by stay in the Eternal Kingdoms -- but if you do, you'll need to have a a plan to work with the players who are willing and able to win in the Campaign Worlds, because you're going to need them to provide you with resources and materials to build and craft.

There are a LOT of games where PvE is the driving force, and PvP is a secondary mechanic.  We're making a game where PvP is the driving force, and the PvE is secondary.  

That's not to say that you can't be a full-time professional crafter or run a mercantile empire -- you can! -- but you can't do it in a vacuum.

Todd

ACE

That should settle it, yes?    

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

Trophies

My crafted "trophies" are going to look good on you!  You'll be like a walking billboard... "Armor crafted by Nyt"

> Suddenly, a Nyt appears in the discussion...

My crafted "trophies" are going to look good on you!  You'll be like a walking billboard... "Armor crafted by Nyt"

Its all swag

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

The reason I am not interested in Camelot Unchained is that games that use their realm design (daoc,elder scrolls) become an exercise in castle trading.

Essentially, the meta game is cheating.

What was cool about Shadowbane was that there wasn't a hard-coded benefit to fighting against your own alts. I trust this will still be true in crowfall.

The reason I am not interested in Camelot Unchained is that games that use their realm design (daoc,elder scrolls) become an exercise in castle trading.

What was cool about Shadowbane was that there wasn't a hard-coded benefit to fighting against your own alts. I trust this will still be true in crowfall.

Yeah, castles are just a strategic means of winning the campaign. I don't see mass amounts of players agreeing to trade campaign wins with months of time invested.

> Suddenly, a Nyt appears in the discussion...

Yeah, castles are just a strategic means of winning the campaign. I don't see mass amounts of players agreeing to trade campaign wins with months of time invested.

I am not quite sure which game you are refering too with this.  

But either way, one thing you can be certain of, if there is a way to gain advantage from castle trading, people will organize and do it.  And be clear, these are not necessarily people "agreeing" to castle/win trade, this is a large guild fighting against its own sock-puppets from day one. 

Greetings,

I share with many concerns here howether there are a think two main ways to look at the structure of the game.

One is like most expressed in various ways here, from Call of Duty to Carebear.

But how about this way?

Who here has played Ultima Online? or at least heard of it? In Ultima we have Safe NPC Towns and Free For all Anything else outside of them.

So inside a town where people started were initial places to get to meet other people interact in Trade, access the market your bank and role play.

However, players had no means to change or alter these Towns in anyway.

The moment you stepped out of the towns you were in FFA Full Loot PvP ruleset, so you have to learn to take some precautions or Adventure in numbers.

One of the golden rules in UO was "always equip what you are willing to lose".

On the other hand UO was based on Crafting, and even if you lost to an ambush and got looted clean it was really easy to either make your own equipment and wear it or buy it from another player.

It was easy to lose items but its was very easy to re-acquire them which served as a "Trial and error" mechanism and permitted the player to undergo a personal evolution as well as their character.

So to not make a very long post here...having said this.

Wouldn't a Second way to look at this game be analogous to UO?

Where the Personal Kindgoms players Build are actually analogous to the NPC Safe Cities of UO and anything outside of them is Adventure, analogous to the Campaign Worlds.

So not care bear or anything else at all in this way of looking at it. But rather very analogous to the old school games in just a new implementation with more options, this time around players can build and change the looks of the NPC Safe town..because it belongs to them :)

Does this make the game more materialistic focussed? Yes and no, I think that Games are what we make of them. The goal of the game is in the eye of the beholder. Some may say that UO's goal was to be filthy rich, to me it was a challenge to ascend and upkeep a Virtuous existence and not succumb to the temptation of falling down the Dark path.

So maybe it is possible in Crowfall to have a non materialistic motivation? Playing for Fame and Renown, Playing for Championing the side of Light? Protecting the weak and the innocent?

The real question is, whether players have the right to be Good or evil then, and this is not just a Reds vs Blue contest, albeit that would be its own discussion, and beyond this one.

Cheers!

~ Duke Suraknar ~

<Order of the Silver Star>, (OSS)

*everyone dies, not everyone really fights*

Camelot unchained is a free world building game, much like crowfall, (assuming voxel makes it in). You can build and destroy the opposing 2 factions homes,castles, towers etc.. These are all created by the player base, not apart of the world premade. I am sure there will be some, but nonetheless there will be no "keep trading" in Camelot Unchained. They are doing a entirely different progression system that's so far not been done. Unsure if it'll work out, i am skeptical as well. But, Mark in his BSC progression video speaks exactly about keep trading and how it will not be beneficial .

Edited by willwill

I have enjoyed the Alpha of CU, when he said old school he means it.. whoever said he is breaking the NDA is wrong, when it  is taking from a twitter feed of CU. Not sure how this building stuff in CU is going to play out for pvp but will be neat to see ... Both CU and CF sound like a blast and have put a dent in my beer money :( lol 

Seeing as both games aren't in a finished state, all opinions are pretty much invalid.

BUT IMO! CU has a long way to go but I like where Mark is taking the game while playing alpha, Crowfall has interesting stances on RvR as well but right now all we have to go on is scripted videos and fancy photoshop screens/infographs. Either way, one game is going to suck less than the other (hopefully).

Both companies know progression is basically 'key' in these types of games and there are a lot of simularities between both games so far (ones I can't express atm). Let's hope the hype train doesn't break these two games down into a pile of dirt as history has taught us.

Yeah because everytime a thread puts  Crowfall on blast, or challenges it, you move it to a forum that nobody goes in.

You a paid hot chick too?

actually...this is the first time i've done so...and i moved it due to the Topic and where the Thread has gone after being in GD for quite the while...

as to your second...hell yeah, big boy...

and finally...if you have any problems or questions about Moderation, feel free to PM a Mod or email support@crowfall.com....consider this a verbal warning that any other course of action is in violation of the Rules of Conduct and subject to Warning Points for the offending account

hope that helps....

Edited by Doc Gonzo
dyslexic person can't spell

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...