Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vstubbs

Why Haven't You Backed Yet?

So? Are you waiting for a certain feature to be announced? Some Clarification on existing mechanics? Maybe you haven't found the class that's right for you yet? Maybe you're waiting for payday? Or the kickstarter hasn't reached a goal you want yet? Share your reasons and maybe our lovely community can help!

I know I for one haven't backed because I've been burned in the past by early access and kickstarts. Given that and the rule sets I am most interested in (Shadows,Infected,God's Reach) won't be in until post launch. I just don't feel the need to be one of the first players in.

NOTE: This thread is for discussion not shaming. If people don't feel like spending their hard earned cash yet then it's not for you to judge.

If someone reading these boards haven't backed yet, it is probably because they are hoping one or two things.

That the EKs will become the main game

That campaigns will be permanent

Edited by Cirolle

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

I backed for $30. For me this is almost like not backing because I spend a poorly made socks-load of money on Kickstarter games. I want to see more of what's under the hood.

If someone reading these boards haven't backed yet, it is probably because they are hoping one or two things.

That the EKs will become the main game

That campaigns will be permenent

I would say more info on combat system (amount of spells, abilities you can use, non target? etc).

All my clanmates are waiting for this kind of information

This is a,great question. A lot of people I have talked to have been hesitant and I get that. Early access can be a crap shoot,but seriously these concepts have real promise. I personally am concerned about the scope of ambition here, but I've already and spent hours watching videos and reading /responding to forums. I am invested now. Access to the missing information that people need to back the game is critical right now. We have 23ish days to build the basis of a community and there are 9.5k backers atm. I personally would like to see that number at least double before March 26th. Given the mean of the backer to funding is just under 100$ a piece, but people will be the key to success of this game not necessarily development dollars.

Edited by Joziah09

It's simple for me. I'm from the EU and don't think there will be beta-servers here. I'm somewhat burned on pre-ordering, so i will wait till release maybe.

But if i would have more spare money i would hit it... 

I would say more info on combat system (amount of spells, abilities you can use, non target? etc).

All my clanmates are waiting for this kind of information

I would agree if kickstarter only came down to buying the game or not.

To me it is about backing a new idea on the MMO scene in general.

There are hundreds of things that could go wrong or mechanics I wont like, and I might end up not playing the game for a lot of reasons.

But OH MAH GAWD, we need people to start taking chances when creating MMOs or we will only see the same old thing til they die out completely

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

I have placed $500 down but does not mean i will keep it, i am waiting for more details on certain things and waiting to see how much the kickstarter is looking to make if it does not make both stretch goals, which you never know could happen i would likely just drop down to $34 or i could raise it to $1000 haha

I do have a few doubts like the money and size of the team for the project they are talking about also I'm worried about combat, as isn't there just one guy working on combat? that to me does not sound good unless he is a miracle worker :)

Hope I'm wrong and they clear both stretch goals and maybe a third and the combat is amazing but just having some doubts right now :P

I have placed $500 down but does not mean i will keep it, i am waiting for more details on certain things and waiting to see how much the kickstarter is looking to make if it does not make both stretch goals, which you never know could happen i would likely just drop down to $34 or i could raise it to $1000 haha

I do have a few doubts like the money and size of the team for the project they are talking about also I'm worried about combat, as isn't there just one guy working on combat? that to me does not sound good unless he is a miracle worker :)

Hope I'm wrong and they clear both stretch goals and maybe a third and the combat is amazing but just having some doubts right now :P

Its not always about size.

Some very very good games have been made with small teams (or even one person) for pc.

Some really bad games have been made with huge teams

I would agree if kickstarter only came down to buying the game or not.

To me it is about backing a new idea on the MMO scene in general.

There are hundreds of things that could go wrong or mechanics I wont like, and I might end up not playing the game for a lot of reasons.

But OH MAH GAWD, we need people to start taking chances when creating MMOs or we will only see the same old thing til they die out completely

There were so many "fantasctic" projects like DFUW so people stopped "believing" and they need to see first. Also I agree with murmelix. For example half of the persons I play with are russians so the story with Tera was: the legal rights were sold to Mail.ru, and it demanded Eu publishers to block russian IPs so... Russians can't play Tera on EU and NA without proxy and Russian Tera server is not yet done,

I'm still considering things. It's likely I'll back at the $34 level, but I don't see any reason to part with more money than that. I just don't have the money to throw around when there aren't enough incentives, as it often comes out of my food money.

Its not always about size.

Some very very good games have been made with small teams (or even one person) for pc.

Some really bad games have been made with huge teams

99% of these are single player small games. I can't think of any game that of this scale that has been made by a small team in the last ten years, can you?

How can one person make combat awesome with twelve different archetypes in less than 2 years? hope I'm wrong and they have a small team on just on combat.

Edited by Wolfgb

I'm waiting for more info/videos on the combat. I like the resetting worlds, it really really appeals to me. But given that this is going to be a pvp centric game, I need to like the combat. It doesn't have to be the type of combat that I'm good at because to but it bluntly I'm crap. But it does have to be the kind of combat that I would enjoy.

99% of these are single player small games. I can't think of any game that of this scale that has been made by a small team in the last ten years, can you?

How can one person make combat awesome with twelve different archetypes in less than 2 years? hope I'm wrong and they have a small team on just on combat.

That wasn't the point though.

The point was, that you can have a game like SWTOR with a huge number of developers and still get poorly made socksty mechanics.

Kudos to their storytelling and voice acting team though.

@op, its risk vs rewards, if u pledge there is a chance u get a good game, if u dont well u can wait for it to be good BUT lets pause and think the purpose of the KS is to raise funds to make it a better game, IF everyone thinks like u, nothing gets done and we can always dream, take a look at star citizen, imo it has moved on to uncharted territory which I am 101% Chris Roberts and team did not envisage this would happen.

my plead to all fence sitters if u have the financial ability just pledge who know this might be the next SC?, remember money makes the world go round and for software development its never enough...

my 2 cents

I will be backing the game, and im always hoorah'ing people to back it, but atm i just cant financially, But hopefully pretty soon i will be able to. I def know i will be backing it just gotta wait for the monies :P

krevra.png

I have backed enough to get into beta and to generally support this direction of development, however, considering there is no concrete information about EU beta servers,which is worrisome and unfortunate, and even launch servers, which is completely unacceptable, I will not commit further for now.

Do US developers really see the EU and surrounding regions such as Russia a small market ? Look at Leage of Legends for example, the European playerbase is magnitudes larger than the US, it's not even comparable. Completely ridiculous, obtuse and financially suicidal thinking.

We need a vote of confidence here, yes - the game will be playable at launch on european servers and yes, there will be european beta servers, is anything less even acceptable ? Can the game handle being shunned by so many regions on all the MMO sites during the crucial months surrounding the launch date ? Maybe, but the negative press and loss of player confidence given anything less will strike a much bigger blow to the project then setting up some servers for the game in Europe, in English, think of it as the cost of doing business. Most importantly, not proceeding with offering the game in such a multicultural region as Europe in beta and at launch just because there is no localization work done would be the single most stupid decision ever so far in this project, no doubt. Europe knows English, everyone would be fine with that until proper localization options can be done, if they are needed at all given such a modest budget.

I repeat, not giving the gamers in EU access to the game in beta and, even worse, at launch just because, what, you don't think they play games in English all day long, would be the biggest stab in the back ever. Even if the devs are not committed to financing overseas servers by themselves talks with regional publishers should already be ongoing to launch as much across the world at the same time as possible, you know what happens to games that do the blunder of releasing, for example, the EU version 2 years later, check it out, they generate irreparable scorn and go belly up in the eyes of gaming communities the world over. Just saying that the company will do its best to make sure at least European players get beta servers and servers at launch -will- push the Kickstarter campaign to at least 1,5 million in a matter of days. 

Edit: Ok, I've seen a post by the devs highlighting their commitment to ensuring the service at least in Europe at launch, good. I'm leaving the above rant in place because I think the issue is just that important. 

Edited by Mookzen

I have backed enough to get into beta and to generally support this direction of development, however, considering there is no concrete information about EU beta servers,which is worrisome and unfortunate, and even launch servers, which is completely unacceptable, I will not commit further for now.

Do US developers really see the EU and surrounding regions such as Russia a small market ? Look at Leage of Legends for example, the European playerbase is magnitudes larger than the US, it's not even comparable. Completely ridiculous, obtuse and financially suicidal thinking.

We need a vote of confidence here, yes - the game will be playable at launch on european servers and yes, there will be european beta servers, is anything less even acceptable ? Can the game handle being shunned by so many regions on all the MMO sites during the crucial months surrounding the launch date ? Maybe, but the negative press and loss of player confidence given anything less will strike a much bigger blow to the project then setting up some servers for the game in Europe, in English. Most importantly, not proceeding with offering the game in such a multicultural region as Europe in beta and at launch just because there is no localization work done would be the single most stupid decision ever so far in this project, no doubt. Europe knows English, everyone would be fine with that until proper localization options can be made, if it's needed at all given such a modest budget.

I repeat, not giving the gamers in EU access to the game in beta and, even worse, at launch just because, what, you don't think they play games in English all day long, would be the biggest stab in the back ever.

unfortunately the game is still in early development for the developers to commit to any servers outside NA, its always a risk for non NA resident my advise is to hold off making a commitment but u can still buy in later, after all its on $50 usd. But if u feel the need to donate to help them fund it by all means do it.

my 2 cents

It's simple for me. I'm from the EU and don't think there will be beta-servers here. I'm somewhat burned on pre-ordering, so i will wait till release maybe.

But if i would have more spare money i would hit it... 

I can't solve your problem with money but I do believe that the artcraft servers will be accessible by everyone everywhere. So sayeth some developers.... here?

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/3299-022715-distributionhosting-outside-of-north-america-for-crowfall/?hl=europe

I'm waiting for more info/videos on the combat. I like the resetting worlds, it really really appeals to me. But given that this is going to be a pvp centric game, I need to like the combat. It doesn't have to be the type of combat that I'm good at because to but it bluntly I'm crap. But it does have to be the kind of combat that I would enjoy.

This might give you some insight into the development thought process when it comes to combat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RGzzS1jGJc

Source: http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/3186-my-issue-with-certain-tera-combat-mechanics/?p=81207

@op, its risk vs rewards, if u pledge there is a chance u get a good game, if u dont well u can wait for it to be good BUT lets pause and think the purpose of the KS is to raise funds to make it a better game, IF everyone thinks like u, nothing gets done and we can always dream, take a look at star citizen, imo it has moved on to uncharted territory which I am 101% Chris Roberts and team did not envisage this would happen.

my plead to all fence sitters if u have the financial ability just pledge who know this might be the next SC?, remember money makes the world go round and for software development its never enough...

my 2 cents

I feel you friend, I spent couple hundred on spaceships in star citizen. But I like space sims, I have heard of Chris Roberts, trusted the name. I honestly don't know much about these devs and outside of warhammer online I have never played a PVP centric MMO.

I can't solve your problem with money but I do believe that the artcraft servers will be accessible by everyone everywhere. So sayeth some developers.... here?

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/3299-022715-distributionhosting-outside-of-north-america-for-crowfall/?hl=europe

This might give you some insight into the development thought process when it comes to combat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RGzzS1jGJc

Source: http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/3186-my-issue-with-certain-tera-combat-mechanics/?p=81207

I feel you friend, I spent couple hundred on spaceships in star citizen. But I like space sims, I have heard of Chris Roberts, trusted the name. I honestly don't know much about these devs and outside of warhammer online I have never played a PVP centric MMO.

i played shadowbane, it was fun while it lasted, just a pity the server netcode was poorly made socks lol, it was a game breaker esp in large sieges, when everything was working as intended it was epic fun, that and the world not resetting makes it hard to stage a comeback and it was a sub game too, imo CF shows promise just hope the developers bear in mind and tighten their netcode, hopefully they can learn from eso, their netcode arent too bad esp at large capture the flag sieges its stable enough to cater to players having high latency i.e. 200-500ms etc...

my 2 cents