Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vstubbs

Why Haven't You Backed Yet?

I do enjoy three-faction play because I enjoy teamwork.  I can't understand why you don't see the appeal of it.

See how that works?

Even when playing shooters I prefer team deathmatch over free-for-all.  Maybe it's time to admit Crowfall isn't for me.  Or maybe I'm just over the attitudes of some posters here.

Sapphire pledge opening up soon.

Or maybe you're the one with a bad attitude.

1) I didn't say FvFvF is objectively inferior to FFA, all I meant was that your comparison is utterly bad. God's Reach is not the only shard out there, and the two games are WAY different overall. Make sure to let us know when the sapphire pledge slot is opening, thanks!

2) So there's no teamwork in FFA? There will be guilds, there will be alliances non predefined by your factions. Actually, there's MUCH more teamwork in a FFA shard than there is in a FvFvF.. I don't think you understand what FFA means.

First Pre Ultima Online: Renaissance was the wild west and is way more complex than Crowfall is trying to ever be so I'm not trying to compare the two games.

About winning the game and "keeping your throne" well, you don't. That world/campaign ends and you get your reward and...well that's it. Is that fun and engaging? Absolutely!

However, when it's over its over and the Devs claimed there would be more; the MMO side the Eternal Kingdoms. Will the EK just be a complex lobby? If so please let us know. If not how is it different? We each get a world and can invite other in. How does that work? Sounds like an instance. You can give your land to others by pledging loyalty. Do that make their instance bigger? Do people just travel from one world to another through the use of a glorified server menu?

As far as I know they haven't addressed these beyond "we have a plan." Great can you tell us so I know if will back you now or wait for reviews after launch

I don't see why the Dregs shard isn't going to be "the wild west", nor do I see how Crowfall is going to be less complex than PRE-UOR (as an ex-player).

Anyway, I still think your idea of lobby is flawed. PRE-UOR lasted less than 3 years, and hosted fewer people than Crowfall will per shard.

It wasn't permament after all and it wasn't "big" per modern standards, does that make PRE-UOR a lobby? No, it doesn't.

Infact, I would have prefered if PRE-UOR ended with some in-game mechanism.. like if an alliance made everyone else swear loyalty or something a-la Game of Thrones. The feeling of actually winning/losing makes it for me, I can't see anything more permanent than that and thus I don't care at all about fancy stuff in Disney World (aka EK).

Edited by fenrisddevil

y9tj8G5.png

I have to admit that I am pretty surprised we've not seen the EK document yet. Gordon alluded to it a few weeks ago, and EK has certainly been the number one thing on the forums that people are talking about. I really hope AC isn't planning on waiting until a couple hours before the KS ends to drop the EK information. Everyone who'd pledged right now should be given time to reflect on and ask question about the EK information after we've learned about it. That should take a couple days.  I'm in the exact same boat as you Ark, including the pledge. I want to keep it, but if EK turns out to be an 'tacked-on' system with various cosmetic hooks and lure's..... The Artifact/Relic thing seems kinda cool, and might be part of a solid foundation that really brings the EK into the game as a full partner. Remember, the EK is 33% of the "Time, Destruction, Power" formula. But right now it seems to be 50% Destruction, 49% Time, and 1% Power.

Unless they take back the optional comment, not sure how EKs won't avoid having a bit of "tacked-on" stigma.

I'm supporting what they've presented as is. As of now, the EKs are optional, but allow players more ways to interact and progress characters (crafting, training, artifacts/relics, trading, etc). If they turn them into a 50/50 split or something I wouldn't mind, but doesn't seem like they are trying to force them upon anyone.

Could be more like Campaigns are 100% of the game and EKs are an optional 100%, basically two experiences that can be combined or done without fully experiencing the other. EKs need resources from the Campaigns in some form. Campaigns do not need things from the EKs, but the benefits are worth it.

Unless they take back the optional comment, not sure how EKs won't avoid having a bit of "tacked-on" stigma.

I'm supporting what they've presented as is. As of now, the EKs are optional, but allow players more ways to interact and progress characters (crafting, training, artifacts/relics, trading, etc). If they turn them into a 50/50 split or something I wouldn't mind, but doesn't seem like they are trying to force them upon anyone.

Could be more like Campaigns are 100% of the game and EKs are an optional 100%, basically two experiences that can be combined or done without fully experiencing the other. EKs need resources from the Campaigns in some form. Campaigns do not need things from the EKs, but the benefits are worth it.

Wasn't it stated somewhere that items could be brought into the campaigns? If that is so what is stopping them from implementing crafting in a way that someone can craft items in the EKs and bring them into a campaign for an advantage. Obviously this would differ from campaign to campaign like being able to bring mounts in vs. no mounts.

As exciting as that side of the game is the developers themselves said they feel they have the answer it blending "the presistance of an MMO and the win condation of a strategy game."

We've seen lots on the strategy parts but almost nothing but lip service "trust us it will be in the game" answers about the MMO side.

If this was 100% only a war game I'd still be interested in it. But I won't back something blindly. I'm too old school for that.

They have mentioned many parts of the MMO side. Character development is persistent and MMO style. They said from day one your character will play in multiple campaigns. 

I don't know what more you are expecting information that will make it like an MMO. The only thing that I think could be explained better is the EK and transitioning between EK and campaigns.

Wasn't it stated somewhere that items could be brought into the campaigns? If that is so what is stopping them from implementing crafting in a way that someone can craft items in the EKs and bring them into a campaign for an advantage. Obviously this would differ from campaign to campaign like being able to bring mounts in vs. no mounts.

This seems to be the plan. As I said, using the EK allows more options, but someone should be able to hop into a campaign and be able to play without any EK interactions from what they've said. Assuming there will be some sort of universal bank system that players can access from anywhere so that they wouldn't have to visit their EK to select items/rewards to bring into the next campaign.

Appears some folks want to play the campaigns (Dregs specifically) like a lobby game. Which is great. Jump in, win/lose, jump out and continue on. Others that want more will have that available through the EK and different rulesets.

To me it is a win/win for everyone. No one is forced into one specific type of style of playing. Don't want to worry about trade/crafting and all that outside of campaigns? Don't have to. Want to build a castle in an EK and place rewards that can boost your future performance? Go for it.

Although it appears some are hoping EKs are a full fledged game all on their own, but from my POV, they are still heavily dependent on campaigns and what people bring out. Doesn't seem to different than a typical mmorpg where some folks spend the majority of their time in main cities, guild housing and what not. Crafting, trading, chatting, RPing, etc. CF seems to have a bit of everything for everyone.

I don't see why the Dregs shard isn't going to be "the wild west", nor do I see how Crowfall is going to be less complex than PRE-UOR (as an ex-player).

Anyway, I still think your idea of lobby is flawed. PRE-UOR lasted less than 3 years, and hosted fewer people than Crowfall will per shard.

It wasn't permament after all and it wasn't "big" per modern standards, does that make PRE-UOR a lobby? No, it doesn't.

Infact, I would have prefered if PRE-UOR ended with some in-game mechanism.. like if an alliance made everyone else swear loyalty or something a-la Game of Thrones. The feeling of actually winning/losing makes it for me, I can't see anything more permanent than that and thus I don't care at all about fancy stuff in Disney World (aka EK).

Lol did you just compare the population of a game that's not even out to one that's been around for 17 years? Come on man. I like to troll as much as the next but get real. Also I'm not comparing Ultima Online with Crowfall. They are very different games. If I was going to compare UO with something I'd bring up Shroud of the Avatar or Star Wars Galaxies.

Everything else you are saying is irrelevant because this is about why I haven't spent my money. And when it comes down to spending my money there only one opinion that counts...mine lol.

I'm still waiting on more information or footage, because I'm paying with paypal and I'm not sure whether I want to join in Beta 1 or earlier.

EKs for example, I' d like to know how exactly they work.

Are they separated instanced safe zones to show off your achievements from the dying worlds, or can you actually invade/destroy/take over someone elses EK?

Everything else you are saying is irrelevant because this is about why I haven't spent my money. And when it comes down to spending my money there only one opinion that counts...mine lol.

Of course I wouldn't dare telling you how to spend your money. I just wanted to clarify that the lack of permanence in Crowfall is subjective.

I think winning campaigns makes you a winner forever. And that's the kind of permanence I am looking for.

y9tj8G5.png

I'm still waiting on more information or footage, because I'm paying with paypal and I'm not sure whether I want to join in Beta 1 or earlier.

EKs for example, I' d like to know how exactly they work.

Are they separated instanced safe zones to show off your achievements from the dying worlds, or can you actually invade/destroy/take over someone elses EK?

EK rulesets are determined by Kings, and everyone gets their own EK.

From a PVE point of view: some EKs will be larger and ruled by guilds or alliances, while some of them will have lower tax% and blessings from artifacts/relics, so there will be reasons to move across them (if you want minor buffs or trade / craft).

From a PVP point of view: you will be able to fight or "invade" EKs with PVP enabled rulesets. Details will come later on, but do not expect EKs to be Campaigns.. Campaigns are the game. EK is metagame at most.

Edited by fenrisddevil

y9tj8G5.png

EK rulesets are determined by Kings, and everyone gets their own EK.

From a PVE point of view: some EKs will be larger and ruled by guilds or alliances, while some of them will have lower tax% and blessings from artifacts/relics, so there will be reasons to move across them (if you want minor buffs or trade / craft).

From a PVP point of view: you will be able to fight or "invade" EKs with PVP enabled rulesets. Details will come later on, but do not expect EKs to be Campaigns.. Campaigns are the game. EK is metagame at most.

What I mean by invading, is to really destroy an opposing guilds EK, whether they want it or not. I dont think you should be able to toggle that possibility on or off.

PvP rulesets probbly just applies to the people visiting your EK, whether they should be able to beat eachother up or not.

From what I understand now EKs are  safe zones, more like  a social hub with optional PvP.

Basically I'm waiting for some potential new info or footage before I decide which pledge I make, as you cant change it if you use paypal.

Sure, you should wait as long as you can. But:

What I mean by invading, is to really destroy an opposing guilds EK, whether they want it or not. I dont think you should be able to toggle that possibility on or off.

We already know that ain't happening.

You should read Todd's comparison to tabletop Risk.. EKs are "couches". You can't force people to PVP on couches. :P

I know this is gonna be annoying but I'll keep writing it: Campaigns are the real game.

Edited by fenrisddevil

y9tj8G5.png

I have not backed yet simply because there is not enough information to see how this game will play... 

This.  

I'm very interested in how combat will feel; right now, it looks very alpha. I need to know more about how important physics will be and the balance between player skill and equipment and trees.  I want to see what the plan is right now, because I wouldn't have fun playing what you've got.  I'm more interested in skill-based, physically valid melee and ranged fights.  That's my two cents about what I think you should do, but my main concern is ascertaining whether y'all have any plan about that.

3. What is the simulation model? Can players “walk through” other players? How are projectiles simulated?

We use a physics model for character movement and combat simulation. This means that players and projectiles move realistically in the 3D environment, with momentum and inertia. This implies a number of interesting side effects that you probably aren’t used to (like players being unable to move through each other, projectiles hitting accidental targets, etc.) There are some implications that we aren’t quite ready to talk about yet. We’ll go into more detail about the ramifications of this system later.

Emphasis mine.  I'd make 'later' sooner than later.  You're just baiting me into imagining centaur lancers charging into a line of light infantry and literally pushing them back and knocking them down.  It's not nice to tease.

Maybe, I missed this stuff being discussed elsewhere.  If I did, apologies.

Not even paypal?

Backing via paypal is a way bigger risk then using your credit card. Going through kickstarter means you have till the campaign actually ends to change your mind. At any point, you can increase or decrease the amount you pledged or even cancel your pledge completely. When using paypal that's not the case. Your money is "gone" the moment you decide to pledge and there is no easy way to get it back. That's why paypal backers usually wait till the last moment, till they know as much about the project as possible, before they pledge.

Oh, and it really doesn't look good for EU servers. I really hope this doesn't cause too many kickstarter backers to jump ship last minute.

What the heck? EU-servers and localization are both confirmed.

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/3299-022715-distributionhosting-outside-of-north-america-for-crowfall/?p=90384

If you are holding back because of a perceived lack of information then please DO educate yourself about what there is to know.

Edited by Angier

Oh, and it really doesn't look good for EU servers. I really hope this doesn't cause too many kickstarter backers to jump ship last minute.

165k have already been reached on Kickstarter (and it counts), no worries about the EU server.

Edited by fenrisddevil

y9tj8G5.png

I haven't backed yet because I am not from America and I do not own any of those credit cards, too bad...

Any of those credit cards ? WTF are you talking about, who doesn't have a Visa or Mastercard, the whole of Europe uses those, its like the most common standard by far, I bet 9.5 out of 10 cards are that in the EU.

165k have already been reached on Kickstarter (and it counts), no worries about the EU server.

Where is it said that the KS counts towards EU beta servers ?

My understanding was that there's this delusion going around about EU not being represented in the KS funding and EU not being able to pay via KS.