Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vstubbs

Why Haven't You Backed Yet?

I, for one, love the more painterly style of the game. It is easy on the eyes. That and avoiding uncanny valley is a good thing for fantasy based games - especially one where the goal is to shovel bodies into dumpsters faster than the other guy... 

That was actually one of the turn-offs for me with TESO; the carnage was a bit too real, which removed the 'fun' and replaced it with pondering my mental state for participating in what amounted to war crimes in Cyrodil.

I guess I've not played enough "War Shooter Simulator 12" to become desensitized yet. ;)

I don't mind the art in this game.  I am more concerned about boring combat.  I am "frothing at the bit" for them to release some real character fighting videos with what they envision the fighting style will be like.  The warrior video they release, has the same boring doge roll over and over and there is not anything that screams "OMG what awesome combat this game will have".

By the way, folks, great thread (I wish that I had thought of it!)

For those who are waiting for more info:

- some of these details will come, and make some of you happy.  

- some of these details will come, and make some of you unhappy.  

- some of you will not find enough information for your liking.

Which is understandable, but I'm not sure that I can do much about it.  We are being as open as we can be, and will continue to do so -- but if you're waiting for a 200 page game design document, that's not going to happen.  

At the end of the day, a kickstarter is a leap of faith.  I'll let you in on an industry secret, though: following ANY game before launch is a leap of faith.  Kickstarter projects just talk about it more openly.

Game development is as much "art" as "craft" (see what I did, there?) ... The details always emerge over time.  

I am a firm believer that you can't build game in a design document.  You build a game by building a game.  Design documents are fantastic (and we have many) but the purpose is to codify the vision, capture ideas and to build a plan... but if you think that plan WON'T change after you've started?  You're kidding yourself. 

At the beginning of a project, you know the general vector that you want to head in.  This is the "vision" of the game.  (At least, you SHOULD know the vision!  If you don't know what the vision is, AND what the vision isn't, STOP until you do!)

With a vision in hand, like a map to the New World, you set sail.   You don't wait for a map that doesn't exist.  You don't even have the food stores to make it.  You take the leap knowing that you will figure it out.

I have seen projects wait until they have a fully designed project on paper, with hundreds and hundreds of pages of design documentation, and they either never ship -- or scrap the documents and rewrite them completely, prior to launch.  

In our case, we have a vision that I feel is unquestionably fertile ground for innovation.  We have a high-level architecture that is a fantastic foundation, and a design architecture that lends itself to an unprecedented level of flexibility and iteration.  We have collected a motley crew that has as much experience as any other team on the planet.

...but the details aren't all in focus, yet.  No team has done this before, so it will take some exploration.  As the fog of war pulls back, we'll have to course correct.  The deeper we go, the more we will know and the better decisions we can make.

Effectively, backing us means that you are joining us on this adventure.  You want to stand on the deck of the ship with us, cutting through the fog to see what's out there.  It could be a city of gold!  It could be dragons!  (I'm hoping for mermaids, personally.)  

Whatever is out there, we're going to find out.  Not by talking about it.  Not by waiting.  Not by watching other people do it first.

We'll find out by doing it.  That's the call to adventure.  

If you want to wait, that's fine.  I get it.  No shame in waiting... but, to stretch my analogy to the limit, it just means that while we are on this adventure, you'll be back at shore hoping that WE find the New World and come back to get you.   

It's understandable position to take.  It's just not for me.    

Todd

ACE

J Todd Coleman

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

Which is understandable, but I'm not sure that I can do much about it.  We are being as open as we can be, and will continue to do so -- but if you're waiting for a 200 page game design document, that's not going to happen.  

At the end of the day, a kickstarter is a leap of faith.  I'll let you in on an industry secret, though: following ANY game before launch is a leap of faith.  Kickstarter projects just talk about it more openly.

Game development is as much "art" as "craft" (see what I did, there?) ... The details always emerge over time.  

I am a firm believer that you can't build game in a design document.  You build a game by building a game.  Design documents are fantastic (and we have many) but the purpose is to codify the vision, capture ideas and to build a plan... but if you think that plan WON'T change after you've started?  You're kidding yourself. 

At the beginning of a project, you know the general vector that you want to head in.  This is the "vision" of the game.  (At least, you SHOULD know the vision!  If you don't know what the vision is, AND what the vision isn't, STOP until you do!)

With a vision in hand, like a map to the New World, you set sail.   You don't wait for a map that doesn't exist.  You don't even have the food stores to make it.  You take the leap knowing that you will figure it out.

I have seen projects wait until they have a fully designed project on paper, with hundreds and hundreds of pages of design documentation, and they either never ship -- or scrap the documents and rewrite them completely, prior to launch.  

In our case, we have a vision that I feel is unquestionably fertile ground for innovation.  We have a high-level architecture that is a fantastic foundation, and a design architecture that lends itself to an unprecedented level of flexibility and iteration.  We have collected a motley crew that has as much experience as any other team on the planet.

...but the details aren't all in focus, yet.  No team has done this before, so it will take some exploration.  As the fog of war pulls back, we'll have to course correct.  The deeper we go, the more we will know and the better decisions we can make.

Effectively, backing us means that you are joining us on this adventure.  You want to stand on the deck of the ship with us, cutting through the fog to see what's out there.  It could be a city of gold!  It could be dragons!  (I'm hoping for mermaids, personally.)  

Whatever is out there, we're going to find out.  Not by talking about it.  Not by waiting.  Not by watching other people do it first.

If you want to wait, that's fine.  I get it.  No shame in waiting... but, to stretch my analogy to the limit, it just means that while we are on this adventure, you'll be back at shore hoping that WE find the New World and come back to get you.   

Todd

ACE

That's all fine and good as long as Your "motley crew" realizes when Something isn't right and is not afraid to redesign it.  I want a great game too.  I have over $600 bucks invested in your vision and ability to do this game.  Don't short change us and cut corners.  Make a fun, fast playing games that does not make me feel like I have a second job.  Make me feel like 6 hour stint of playing time, felt more like 30 minutes.

I decided the day I pledged that your vision was my vision.....Now make it so...

I'm fine with what you posted Todd.

Not looking for new deets as much as I am continuing deets on the progress being made with things you're committing (or will be committing) KS resources to.

I backed at the gold level so I'm hawking this one sharply.

Let me get them dreg deets baby

Edited by Vitality

That's all fine and good as long as Your "motley crew" realizes when Something isn't right and is not afraid to redesign it.  I want a great game too.  I have over $600 bucks invested in your vision and ability to do this game.  Don't short change us and cut corners.  Make a fun, fast playing games that does not make me feel like I have a second job.  Make me feel like 6 hour stint of playing time, felt more like 30 minutes.

I decided the day I pledged that your vision was my vision.....Now make it so...

We'll do our absolute best.  Thanks for helping us make this happen.

Todd

ACE

J Todd Coleman

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

You donated, you are not an investor. Curb your demands, make fair suggestions.

Todd

ACE

I really like the vision you guys are following, its like minecraft with resetting worlds every 3 months, only much more advanced and exciting (because of the hunger and seasons). I really hope you guys dont chance this vision. I always enjoyed minecraft, i was one of those guys who have been with minecraft when notch was not as rich and game was simple, i still remember old cobblestone textures and old shadows. (alpha 1.8).

The problem with minecraft servers was always, after a point a guild , or someone is so powerful and you are hopeless. Think about mining and finding resources? they are already mined. Some implemented resetting farm worlds and an eternal world just like what you are doing (it was the most popular server at the time) but even then an uncle bob emerged. Only way people would become top player was either top person losing all his gold in lottery or top person quiting the game. 

It was weird times, i remember selling myself as slave for uncle bob for an hour, i would farm his wheats and deposit them in chests...

Perhaps people see somethink that i cannot, and they support EK's. Or perhaps its my minecraft experiances that prevents me from wanting to have any importance in EK's. Truth to be told, i would still be fine if there werent EK's at all

Edited by Navhkrin

I still say the EK info drop will be like the arc of the covenant... Opening it will either bless us with eternal prosperity or melt everyone's faces off.

Maybe one of those fancy legalese disclaimers will help...

* This document contains certain forward-looking statements, relating to the Eternal Kingdoms, which can be identified by the use of forward-looking terminology such as “promising”, “plans”, “anticipated”, “will”, “project”, “believe”, “forecast”, “expected”, “estimated”, “targeting”, “aiming”, “set to”, “potential”, “seeking to”, “goal”, “could provide”, “intends”,  “is being developed”, “could be”, “on track”, or similar expressions, or by express or implied discussions regarding potential rule sets, or potential future rule set functionality. Such forward-looking statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors that may cause actual results to be materially different from any future results, performance or achievements expressed or implied by such statements. There can be no assurance that any existing or future rule sets will satisfy the player base's requirements regarding any one or more playstyle nor can there be any assurance that such rule sets will be approved by anyone or that they will reach any particular level of popularity. In particular, ACE’s expectations regarding the approval and commercialization of the rule sets could be affected by, among other things, unexpected alpha or beta results, including additional analysis of existing test data, and new test data; unexpected actions or delays, or market changes generally; competition in general; regional, industry, and general public pricing pressures; and additional factors that involve significant risks and uncertainties about this rule set. Should one or more of these risks or uncertainties materialize, or should underlying assumptions prove incorrect, actual results may vary materially from those described herein as anticipated, believed, estimated or expected. ACE is providing this information as of the date of this document and does not assume any obligation to update any forward-looking statements contained in this document as a result of new information, future events or developments or otherwise.

:D

Todd

ACE

That's all well and good, but a "headline" part of the game, the EK, needs some filling out. Gordon said a document in in the works almost 2 weeks ago. You guys have been great at getting us stuff about fighting. But right there in the game description is the "Power" stuff, and we've heard very little so far. I'd be happy with the same size release as the one from yesterday. Personally, I don't need thousands of words about EK. But a few hundred that let us fill in the biggest unknowns would be great!

eEvERiW.jpg

I really like the vision you guys are following, its like minecraft with resetting worlds every 3 months, only much more advanced and exciting (because of the hunger and seasons). I really hope you guys dont chance this vision. I always enjoyed minecraft, i was one of those guys who have been with minecraft when notch was not as rich and game was simple, i still remember old cobblestone textures and old shadows. (alpha 1.8).

The problem with minecraft servers was always, after a point a guild , or someone is so powerful and you are hopeless. Think about mining and finding resources? they are already mined. Some implemented resetting farm worlds and an eternal world just like what you are doing (it was the most popular server at the time) but even then an uncle bob emerged. Only way people would become top player was either top person losing all his gold in lottery or top person quiting the game. 

It was weird times, i remember selling myself as slave for uncle bob for an hour, i would farm his wheats and deposit them in chests...

Perhaps people see somethink that i cannot, and they support EK's. Or perhaps its my minecraft experiances that prevents me from wanting to have any importance in EK's. Truth to be told, i would still be fine if there werent EK's at all

I have a feeling you might be disappointed if you feel this game is going to be a lot like Minecraft.

I have a feeling you might be disappointed if you feel this game is going to be a lot like Minecraft.

CrowCraft. Where we all get to build things out of the bodies of our fallen enemies.

I hear walls made out of Stoneborn are the best... 

You donated, you are not an investor. Curb your demands, make fair suggestions.

A matter of perspective, Either way, I have only pushed 1 thing.  Combat, make it fun and exciting and not like it was taken out of a 90's game.  Combat is the 1 thing they have to get right.  Combat is something we all do and it is what the game is based around.  I don't really care how sparse the features are at release based on time/money to do features as long as combat is fast and fun.  I understand totally that the dregs may be only campaign released at launch.  I am totally fine with all of this, but what they do release, needs to be solid, functional and fun.

If they can do this, I will continue to support their game after launch as well. 

Mermaid new Archetype confirmed.

You heard it here first, folks.

On a more serious note, I'll agree backing a game on Kickstarter is definitely a leap of faith and you cannot hope to know for sure what it will look like at launch... all you can do is appreciate their vision and hopefully help make it a little better  :)

oiPOxr.jpg

Proud Member of KDS -

Recruitment Post - Visit us at www.kdsguild.org

I have some concerns with the passive training system. I hate how EVE Online works. I shouldn't have to wait months for my skills to level up.

I'm confused about how the Kickstarter kingdom works. If you pledge enough are you given your own plot of land that isn't controlled by a monarch? Can that land be conquered by other players? What exactly can we do with the land? Is it even feasible for a small amount of players to control it and build it up(if that's even possible)?

I have some other concerns but I just woke up so I can't remember all of them.

Edited by Shock4ndAwe

That is for developers to decide, the results can be exact similiar to results of minecraft servers.

Do i want it to be like minecraft? No. Am i afraid that it may suffer the same fate? Yes.

Basic ideas ; Generated worlds , player driven economy , ability to build. Those are the main things that will run the game. Minecraft also posses them. They can always make improvements, way better combat, voxels , physics , hunger system and countless other improvements...

But none of above removes the danger , one thing does, campaign worlds. And im hoping that game itself will still be about campaigns. That everything will still run on the campaign worlds.

A starcraft anology =

I can think of a starcraft map, where we get resources from other temporary-maps, people will still focus on the permanent map and build on there, all the warfare and action will be on the permanent map. And temporary resource maps? People will just go there to get some resources, surely some people will try to attack their opponent's farms, but the "game" will run inside permanent map and the one that has the best base (missile turrets, siege tanks, banshees, planetery fortresses etc) will be unmatched. And after that point he can just start striking others , preventing them from building an army that can destroy his base, no one will ever have chance aganist him as long as he plays the game

Where without any permanancy, people will play every temporary map as it was the "permanent map", as they are currently doing. There is no harm in having a permanent map where people can rest and tell their stories, show their trophies etc. But things will easly get out of control if you add any importance to that permanent map.

This is the problem with games where what you have is not as simple as an character inventory, where you can have land and castles. Where you can build. Where your progression stays still and is endless. You can always improve your castles. Getting the top gear? Perhaps a year, but its something everyone can achieve. Building an unmatched , unbreachable castle and striking others ? That is the win conditon and there is nothing you can do , expect resetting the world.

With current situation ? Players will trade, there will be arenas, im sure people will even bet on arenas, bars, shops, they will basically become player built towns. Diffrent guilds will try to build better towns, alot of exciment. But they will still stay as towns. A place to rest. With points of interest to fight over or sieging mechanics? That moves the game into EK's from campaign worlds.

Edited by Navhkrin

A backed WarZ AKA Infestation and it turn out to be an hackfest,

Backed DayZ and still waiting for more improvement but still a very cool game to play already,

Backed Rust, still waiting for many things but it is becoming another hackfest,

When I know more about UK servers I'll back CrowFall too because it seems to me that it will have a good survival aspect too and I love that (plus bows <3)

Some leap of faiths turn to be good, others not so good, others bad. Have faith.

2whf87a.jpg

@Jtodd pls. tell @Thomas to play some battlefield hardline; easy to get into and pvp.

And PvP is heart of Crowfall after all.

I know it's possible to communicate in alpha/beta, but earlier you figure out to 'not' create a

huge gap between lv. 1 compare to lv. 20 characters in D&D, which is the worst balanced PvP

combat system in the rpg/mmo genre. My point is skill in % like; 10% vs 140% is a gap which require months 

to achieve with the current character progression system.

MQfHl7c.png

Crowfall Game Client: https://www.crowfall.com/en/client/