Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vstubbs

Why Haven't You Backed Yet?

That is for developers to decide, the results can be exact similiar to results of minecraft servers.

Do i want it to be like minecraft? No. Am i afraid that it may suffer the same fate? Yes.

Basic ideas ; Generated worlds , player driven economy , ability to build. Those are the main things that will run the game. Minecraft also posses them. They can always make improvements, way better combat, voxels , physics , hunger system and countless other improvements...

But none of above removes the danger , one thing does, campaign worlds. And im hoping that game itself will still be about campaigns. That everything will still run on the campaign worlds.

A starcraft anology =

I can think of a starcraft map, where we get resources from other temporary-maps, people will still focus on the permanent map and build on there, all the warfare and action will be on the permanent map. And temporary resource maps? People will just go there to get some resources, surely some people will try to attack their opponent's farms, but the "game" will run inside permanent map and the one that has the best base (missile turrets, siege tanks, banshees, planetery fortresses etc) will be unmatched. And after that point he can just start striking others , preventing them from building an army that can destroy his base, no one will ever have chance aganist him as long as he plays the game

Where without any permanancy, people will play every temporary map as it was the "permanent map", as they are currently doing. There is no harm in having a permanent map where people can rest and tell their stories, show their trophies etc. But things will easly get out of control if you add any importance to that permanent map.

They have specifically stated they intend to use voxels not to build, but for destruction. This game will be nothing like Minecraft.

If anything, this game will play more like Starcraft than Minecraft. Stick with your Starcraft references.

Edited by Adall

needs to be solid, functional and fun.

With physics and a mutable world, I think we are going to see things we cannot even fully conceptualize yet as far as how it will work, and their uses will be entirely emergent.

I mean, imagine a caster archetype with the ability to dramatically alter the battleground - like a Druid ability that can cause a Henge to rise up in the middle of a battle, instantly changing the assault from a line formation to a sniper's paradise of destructible stone monoliths. Or the Champion having an attack that creates an actual, permanent, collapse of the ground in a cone from some leaping attack...

Or two-handed hammers with enough strength behind them being able to not only do arcs of attack, but literally throw people back. Or Stoneborn shield walls that actually stop charges. Mages that can plummet the battlefield into darkness or turn it into a persistent swamp...

And we've not even gotten into siege mechanics yet.

There is soooo much more than just 1v1 slugfests here - but I agree, that too needs to be done well. :)

I haven't pledged yet because I'm full-time student. Running low on resources at the moment. Will pledge for gold patron as soon as possible.

I haven't pledged yet because I'm full-time student. Running low on resources at the moment. Will pledge for gold patron as soon as possible.

Sallie Mae won't mind.

☆ We are in a positive posting drought, so just post. Be the change you want the forums to be. Go wild. Just follow your positive posting star. ☆
☆:*´¨`*:.•.¸¸.•´¯`•.♥.•´¯`•.¸¸.•..:*´¨`*:.☆

(¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯) Member of the Pro-ACE Club (¯`’•.¸*♫♪♥(✿◠‿◠)♥♫♪*¸.•’´¯)

I still say the EK info drop will be like the arc of the covenant... Opening it will either bless us with eternal prosperity or melt everyone's faces off.

Maybe one of those fancy legalese disclaimers will help...

* This document contains certain forward-looking statements, relating to the Eternal Kingdoms, which can be identified by the use of forward-looking terminology such as “promising”, “plans”, “anticipated”, “will”, “project”, “believe”, “forecast”, “expected”, “estimated”, “targeting”, “aiming”, “set to”, “potential”, “seeking to”, “goal”, “could provide”, “intends”,  “is being developed”, “could be”, “on track”, or similar expressions, or by express or implied discussions regarding potential rule sets, or potential future rule set functionality. Such forward-looking statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors that may cause actual results to be materially different from any future results, performance or achievements expressed or implied by such statements. There can be no assurance that any existing or future rule sets will satisfy the player base's requirements regarding any one or more playstyle nor can there be any assurance that such rule sets will be approved by anyone or that they will reach any particular level of popularity. In particular, ACE’s expectations regarding the approval and commercialization of the rule sets could be affected by, among other things, unexpected alpha or beta results, including additional analysis of existing test data, and new test data; unexpected actions or delays, or market changes generally; competition in general; regional, industry, and general public pricing pressures; and additional factors that involve significant risks and uncertainties about this rule set. Should one or more of these risks or uncertainties materialize, or should underlying assumptions prove incorrect, actual results may vary materially from those described herein as anticipated, believed, estimated or expected. ACE is providing this information as of the date of this document and does not assume any obligation to update any forward-looking statements contained in this document as a result of new information, future events or developments or otherwise.

:D

No legal disclaimer is needed as backing a KS project is not an Aleatory Agreement is not implied here.   Money is NOT changing hands in the agreement that it will deliver any specific services.  Just that a game will be made according to the ACE vision as already stated.

Short Version  :  not a contract

Edited by ellie

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

They have specifically stated they intend to use voxels not to build, but for destruction. This game will be nothing like Minecraft.

If anything, this game will play more like Starcraft than Minecraft. Stick with your Starcraft references.

Starcraft you can still build yes? To destroy you must first build. Im sure building is going to be much harder then minecraft, but the way system works seems to be similiar. Unless you right click and choose pre-built tower's and walls.

Im just using Minecraft to represent way the system works. And because minecraft has very good algorithms to generate maps. Think it as if i was referancing to minecraft in adventure mode (instead of survival mode)

Edited by Navhkrin

No legal disclaimer is needed as backing a KS project is not an Aleatory Agreement is not in question here.   Money is NOT changing hand in the agreement that it will deliver any specific services.  Just that a game will be made according to the ACE vision as already stated.

I need a disclaimer for: That was a joke...

Starcraft you can still build yes? To destroy you must first build. Im sure building is going to be much harder then minecraft, but the way system works seems to be similiar. Unless you right click and choose pre-built tower's and walls.

The current assumption is exactly that, pre-built items. They have stated they don't plan on any detailed building ala landmark.

Edited by Adall

With physics and a mutable world, I think we are going to see things we cannot even fully conceptualize yet as far as how it will work, and their uses will be entirely emergent.

I mean, imagine a caster archetype with the ability to dramatically alter the battleground - like a Druid ability that can cause a Henge to rise up in the middle of a battle, instantly changing the assault from a line formation to a sniper's paradise of destructible stone monoliths. Or the Champion having an attack that creates an actual, permanent, collapse of the ground in a cone from some leaping attack...

Or two-handed hammers with enough strength behind them being able to not only do arcs of attack, but literally throw people back. Or Stoneborn shield walls that actually stop charges. Mages that can plummet the battlefield into darkness or turn it into a persistent swamp...

And we've not even gotten into siege mechanics yet.

There is soooo much more than just 1v1 slugfests here - but I agree, that too needs to be done well. :)

Oh, I can imagine it all, I just hope they don't short change themselves.  These are the reasons I backed (invested) in this project.  I want all these cool things to come to fruition.

I don't think that asking the devs for more information is a lack of faith.  I have no doubt that ACE will creat CF and launch it. 

The questions I have are all about whether the game will be something I'll enjoy playing.  If it's the "crafting and economy balanced against PvP and strategy" game that was originally advertised then I can see having fun in the game.

I've seen clear info on the latter part of the equation.  I'd like clear info on the former.  Has nothing to do with believing if the game will be great - it is simply a matter of whether I will actually enjoy playing the game.  Need more info to know the answer to that.

pixS8Wt.jpg

The Chronicles of Crowfall           The Free Lands of Azure            RIP Doc Gonzo.

The biggest thing keeping a lot of people from buying into the kickstarter is definitely the lack of video, many think that crowfall has some great ideas but with what little you have shown us people are hesitant to buy into a idea instead of a finished game.

Kawaii on the streets, Senpai in the sheets - http://sugoigaming.enjin.com/

TL;DR

I like what he said and agree.

Design documents are fantastic (and we have many) but the purpose is to codify the vision, capture ideas and to build a plan...

Reminded me of: "Doctorates are fantastic. I have one." (с) 'Big Bang Theory'  :)

There are a few things I learned to be true that I knew before I put it to test.

1. Nothing worthwhile is easy (doesn't mean everything hard is worthwhile, though).

2. No plan survives collision with reality (it's actually paraphrase of paraphrase).

Both applicable to a case we have here. It's called 'development' for a reason. The word suggests not only building but also evolution. And it perfectly understandable why not everything set in stone from the get-go and why some things change as project develops. I don't know what people expect from developers. Not to mention yep, we are not investors (though I won't say it to people who spent $600; not investor, but...).

By the way this last fact fails to work on majority of internet crowd. Some people not even kickstart anything, but still go: 'where is this, where is that, we demand...' Blah, blah, blah. Jolee Bindo from KotOR had a very good story concerning entitlement.

And I hear word 'vision' from Mr. Coleman quite often. In my opinion when Blizzard's vision failed we got cute 'Overwatch' instead of 'Titan' (yeah, problem more complex than that, bit that's my opinion). I understand vision as ability to interconnect different subsets of information and perceive it as one entity without doing it on systemic level (the last one is important). So while those who have vision have ability to put things in motion and get them done they don't see it in every detail. Akin to knowing how to solve the puzzle, but being unable to tell step by step solution. Therefore I don't think it's fair to pester developers with little questions constantly (my, only my opinion, nothing more).

Though I was really glad to know that communities will not be separated NA/EU. I like a lot of people here and want to play with them shoulder-to-shoulder fighting Hunger (or kick their ***, heh).

oaOnsEV.jpg?1

I need a disclaimer for: That was a joke...

Hard to tell these days LOL.  I envisioned many reading your statement and thinking " yes, that is EXACTLY what we need "  At some point I believe we will see "breech of contract"  "coercion"  and "deceptive marketing practices"  also thrown around too. I am ready for them.  :)    

I love the fact that Todd and his motley crew take the time to respond and explain the process.  And impart that an "adventures spirit" is needed to be a part of this voyage.  With that said I am going down below..................thinking nasty weather is ahead :)

Mermaids?  Mermaids!     I love Sirens!   They are very powerful.   

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

I don't think that asking the devs for more information is a lack of faith.  I have no doubt that ACE will creat CF and launch it. 

The questions I have are all about whether the game will be something I'll enjoy playing.  If it's the "crafting and economy balanced against PvP and strategy" game that was originally advertised then I can see having fun in the game.

I've seen clear info on the latter part of the equation.  I'd like clear info on the former.  Has nothing to do with believing if the game will be great - it is simply a matter of whether I will actually enjoy playing the game.  Need more info to know the answer to that.

Well see this is where we run into the issue of personal perception and expectations. I never got the impression it was "crafting and economy balanced against PvP and strategy". To me it was Crafting and economy intertwined with the PvP, not just separate things floating around in the same universe so to speak.  In order to partake in the Economy and Crafting you have to enter the Campaigns and PvP. I applaud you for holding out hope that you'll be able to be a 100% crafter and avoid PvP, but sorry to be the one to tell you theres no Santa, I just don't think its going to work out that way.

Perhaps none of us will know if we will have fun until we actually play it?   And then again some can make anything be fun.   Imagination isn't hard coded into the game.   

Perhaps none of us will know if we will have fun until we actually play it?   And then again some can make anything be fun.   Imagination isn't hard coded into the game.   

Are you the one watching me through my bedroom window?

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

You can get a pretty good idea from little released tid bits of information though, and the point Oridi is making, is that there are virtually no tid bits on economy or EK's which is a fair concern. 

You can get a pretty good idea from little released tid bits of information though, and the point Oridi is making, is that there are virtually no tid bits on economy or EK's which is a fair concern. 

Because it is part of the cherry, not part of the meat.

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

Are you the one watching me through my bedroom window?

LOL!  Nope.  Just probably some other idjut , like me, in your part of the world that think a "mind" is the most unused organ these days.  Everyone seems to want things "defined"  , written down, and firmly cemented ...........................and does not want to be open to "the possibilities"

Edited by ellie