Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pang

Crowfall Using Unity 5

Unity is a great platform. I use it at work. It tends to get a bad rep because its plugin interface makes it very easy to slap together a lot of really unoptimized components in to a game, and the vast majority of games developed on the platform are exactly that, poorly optimized stuff that should still be considered functional prototypes.

However, it's also quite easy to tie unity components in to external libraries and add all sorts of logic that doesn't rely on it. Until the lighting updates in 5 its default redering and lighting engine had a lot lacking (then again, there were already a lot of great thrid party lighting setups that improved that greatly.)

The primary benefit of choosing unity for a project is that it is the architecture of the engine itself is built around very clean object oriented principles, treating every object by default as just "object" allows for a really freeform way to do stuff.

For instance, when I was working in unreal, it was a real pain to do stuff like instantiate a player model with associated sound effects, particle effects, sound, etc. wheras in unity the way object inheritence works it's pretty easy to cache extremely complex constructs of any type and instantiate them on the fly.

It makes it easier to create "Thing with all the logic and effects" and re-use that than most other engines that have a harder split which requires first defining a lot of limitations for classes like "weapon, armor, etc." as the component architecture allows packages of code to be dynamically assigned to ojects, modified, moved around, etc. in real time.

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

Ya I really like unity myself, it is what I use for all of my game ideas as well. Especially because it is portable between a ton of different consoles, which a lot of game engines can not say. 

You can do anything in you want in C++. But yeah, it's not built in like it is in Unity. And I believe the person who made the voxel system in Unity is working on Crowfall.

Yeah... right.  You can, but when it comes to C++ it's not a question of what you can or what you can't do, it's a question of what you know how to do, are capable of doing and how much time you got to do it in?

C++ programming is no walk in the park and you spend 20% of your time writing statements to clear garbage memory.

------------(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)------------

Now in GLORIOUS 'HDvisioning60fpsblahg'

------------(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)------------

I am wondering how much tinkering they can do with Unity 5.

I know back when WAR launched the devs on it did a lot of tinkering of the Gamebro engine to help it support the larger battles. It took a few months for them to get things locked down and straighten out, but once they had it working well you could have 100-150 person battles without much lag, 200-250 with a little lag, 300+ became a slide show though.

But that was 2005 and hopefully technology has improved. 

If they can get 200-250 people that's good. If they can get 300, that's fantastic and pretty much on the mark, and there really isn't much more to hope for.

Keep in mind that with GW2 and with culling a lot of that was due to how they had the client setup. People with better rigs, and a more powerful CPU had a lot less issue with culling than people on lower spec rigs. 

I have been messing around in Unity 4.X for a while on some of my own projects, and it seems like a decent option if you know how to use it. Their pricing model also seems better than most. I have also heard that the Unreal engine is good. Don't know much about Cry ... but Cry seems like overboard for an MMO due to the system hog that it most often is on many games.

Vidrak - Member of

mael4.jpg

Unity doesn't seem like the best option for MMO development(Unreal and CryEngine with a long list of MMORPGs), but I'm sure they did their research. As with all software, it's not the tools, it's who uses them.

I think that money is why they are using Unity. They started from nothing.  ^_^

Have a nice day !  :D

What's so bad about the current physics in your opinion? What could be improved? You'd have to know that only so much can be done with the voxel technology. 

And while some physics could perhaps be solved client side, with critical physics simulation (that has gameplay impact) done server side. A whole lot of 'selling' the effect comes down to sound and particle effects. Which will be improved drastically once they get that FX guy.

I understand that the effects can improve things a lot, but 2 things bother me most from what I've seen. First of all the physics engine doesn't seem to 'trigger' unless a part of, for example, a building is completely disconnected from the main structure, you can destroy all the walls of the house and leave one thin section of the wall in the corner intact and it's probably going to be perfectly fine, the roof won't collapse until you break that last small thread connecting the two, there does not seem to be any load-bearing simulation involved at all. Secondly, the parts that collapse seem completely devoid of any weight, they bounce around like empty cardboard boxes, kicked around by negligible force and have no effect upon impacting other, supposedly, destructible objects, instead just glancing off. The first point may well be an inherent limitation of the technology, but surely the second one can be improved easily by adjusting a few variables, which the devs have access to hopefully.

Edited by Mookzen

I understand that the effects can improve things a lot, but 2 things bother me most from what I've seen. First of all the physics engine doesn't seem to 'trigger' unless a part of, for example, a building is completely disconnected from the main structure, you can destroy all the walls of the house and leave one thin section of the wall in the corner intact and it's probably going to be perfectly fine, the roof won't collapse until you break that last small thread connecting the two, there does not seem to be any load-bearing simulation involved at all. Secondly, the parts that collapse seem completely devoid of any weight, they bounce around like empty cardboard boxes, kicked around by negligible force. The first point may well be an inherent limitation of the technology, but surely the second one can be improved easily by adjusting a few variables, which the devs have access to hopefully.

Regarding the first point I think the simulation would stress the server to much. I assume they have to simulate the voxels on the server and not the client since it has to react to people.

The second point is definitely fixable. They are probably still getting everything to work and then starting to add mass etc. to the different kinds of materials.

Edited by Crueltylizer

143R3yh.gif

I understand that the effects can improve things a lot, but 2 things bother me most from what I've seen. First of all the physics engine doesn't seem to 'trigger' unless a part of, for example, a building is completely disconnected from the main structure, you can destroy all the walls of the house and leave one thin section of the wall in the corner intact and it's probably going to be perfectly fine, the roof won't collapse until you break that last small thread connecting the two, there does not seem to be any load-bearing simulation involved at all. Secondly, the parts that collapse seem completely devoid of any weight, they bounce around like empty cardboard boxes, kicked around by negligible force. The first point may well be an inherent limitation of the technology, but surely the second one can be improved easily by adjusting a few variables, which the devs have access to hopefully.

I think you're referring to a tech demo of Voxel farm that was shown when they announced they were using it for Crowfall? In that case that footage wasn't footage from this game... it was just a tech demo done by the makers of VoxelFarm.

The Devs also confirmed they can adjust things in VoxelFarm to have weight and different behaviors.

Edited by pang

Regarding the first point I think the simulation would stress the server to much. I assume they have to simulate the voxels on the server and not the client since it has to react to people.

The second point is definitely fixable. They are probably still getting everything to work and then starting to add mass etc. to the different kinds of materials.

MMO 101, the client is in the hands of the enemy! It cannot be relied upon.

ArcheAge apparently never learned this lesson.

Click here to join the Crowfall Discord chat community

Sekket on Mourning. Bhorov on Test Server. Youma the Pirate wherever TSP has sailed.

Wonder if the new Unity 5's 64-bit support was the reason they chose it and if they will go exclusively for 64-bit as to avoid 32-bit limitations.

They probably chose Unity due to the comparatively lower costs of licensing, development, implementation, prototyping, training and human resources associated with it.

Edited by Mookzen

I understand that the effects can improve things a lot, but 2 things bother me most from what I've seen. First of all the physics engine doesn't seem to 'trigger' unless a part of, for example, a building is completely disconnected from the main structure, you can destroy all the walls of the house and leave one thin section of the wall in the corner intact and it's probably going to be perfectly fine, the roof won't collapse until you break that last small thread connecting the two, there does not seem to be any load-bearing simulation involved at all. Secondly, the parts that collapse seem completely devoid of any weight, they bounce around like empty cardboard boxes, kicked around by negligible force and have no effect upon impacting other, supposedly, destructible objects, instead just glancing off. The first point may well be an inherent limitation of the technology, but surely the second one can be improved easily by adjusting a few variables, which the devs have access to hopefully.

Which video are you speaking of, precisely?

Member of The BlackHand Order

If they're really going to use Unity 5, that would be an insane improvement for Crowall in every aspect.

Really intersting to read through it, can't wait so see sneak peaks from the gameplay with it.  Unity 5

Here's a list of Unity engine games!

Edited by Esther

t70C8a9.png     "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it's limits."  - Albert Einstein

Dont know much about unity engine but atleast they dont use the hero engine which is good. (looking at you Swtor :angry: )

There a quite a few games that use Unity by now.

One of the more well known is Rust.

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015