Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Revival (MMORPG)

w2FhwIn.jpg

This game hasn't been released yet and won't be for some time but this is one of the very few hardcore MMORPG's I'm somewhat excited about.

Pictures: http://imgur.com/a/H4Dlw

SKILL BASED COMBAT

In Revival, we’ve dedicated ourselves to bringing action-based combat into the world of MMOs, creating mechanics that depend on player skill more that numerical superiority. Our Goals:

Abolish the traditional “hotbar” game style
Create a first person combat system that uses physical location of characters, weapons and spells to determine hit or miss -- not RPG skills
Break the direct link between time playing and combat power by make time spent training and questing unlock new combat styles instead of using that time to ensure someone who plays longer is guaranteed to beat a new player
Ensure player skill is key to combat success

NATURAL SKILL DEVELOPMENT

Because Revival is a game of immersion and freedom of choice, we’ve taken a far more fluid approach to developing a character’s numerical stats and attributes, their RPG skills. With Revival’s approach to RPG style skills:

There are no character classes or levels
Characters increase the value of their RPG stats and attributes by using them
Stats decay when they are not used, but you will never completely lose a skill you know well or have mastered
Any skill can be mastered by any character, with enough effort and dedication
Characters reflect the path they took to get where they are: Heroes evolve, they are not built.

ACTIVE CRAFTING

Crafting in Revival is significantly more than gathering the items required to build something. In fact, crafting in Revival is:

Skill based - players who are “good” at a type of crafting will excel at that crafting, independent of their character’s crafting stats
Immersive - The act of crafting mimics the steps and action required in real life. This is not a “gather the materials and then hit the build button” style game
Fun - Each crafting system is built around crafting “games” that are fun and playable in their own right. Crafting is not a chore
Fundamental to the game - The world’s economy is driven by our players, and crafts are key to this, putting them squarely at the center of the web of commerce and politics of each kingdom

REVIVAL’S LIVING WORLD

Revival’s Theleston is a world that both responds directly to the players and evolves over time, both naturally and through direct player action. We accomplish this with the following features:

The game world changes organically over time
Changes are caused by the actions of the denizens of the world
Powers of the world, including players, attempt to advance their agendas, further driving change
The Karma system interacts with agendas, influencing and being influenced by the gods and great old ones
The live storytellers act as agents of the gods and major powers, adding content to the game in response to player actions and playing key roles on gold servers for maximum impact

REAL ECONOMICS

In other words, Revival is a game driven by the player’s economic goals and actions. It is a world where:

Every item in the game is useful, so there is no vendor or trash loot
The value of every item fluctuates based on supply and demand
Every town has its own commodities market, asking for and selling goods at their own, local prices
There is no global auction house, regional markets are king
Goods must be physically transported from location to location, and defended along the way
Real money can be made, for players willing to take the risk

PLAYER POLITICS

Politics play a unique and critical role in the development of the kingdoms of Revival, driving much of the content players will experience. Politics in Revival offer players:

Local Politics - Players who purchase or acquire homes will find that they can influence the development of their neighborhoods through politics
Regional Politics - Citizens of the nation states of the world will find they can apply influence and weild power at the regional level, as influential denizens of the region.
National Politics - Players can even vie for control of whole kingdoms, dictating the course of war, peace and development for thousands of citizens
World Politics - For the most invested players, systems exist where they can play the game of politics at a grander level, using their political power to influence the course of events on a global scale as the shadowy powers behind kings and leaders.

LIVE STORYTELLERS

In the world of Online Role Playing, there is little that yet compares to the directed experience offered by a living storyteller in a changeable world. Revival has imagined a new experience in role-play that takes the very best elements of directed play with the freedom and immersion of a sandbox world. Our live team curates the content of the world as well as directly driving the actions of forces great and small to guarantee a new and exciting experience each and every time a player logs in.

Content reacts directly to player actions
The powers of the Theleston are driven by real people
Evolving Game World with new enemies rising where old foes have fallen
No ‘best-line’ exists, the world is always changing
Players and Storytellers collaborate to create history

Looks a lot like Skyrim from the screenshots. Hopefully it turns out good!

I can definitely see the Skyrim influences indeed! A lot of the mechanics are inspired by Ultima Online as well.

It's being made by Illfonic which is the company responsible for the FPS in Star Citizen.

Hmm, I think you posted this on the DF forums some time ago, but I forgot about it. The game looks good, though there isn't much media on it. I like wha they have to say about the skill based combat, and their vision of progression.

Thanks for posting!

EOWWuhQ.png 

Hmm, I think you posted this on the DF forums some time ago, but I forgot about it. The game looks good, though there isn't much media on it. I like wha they have to say about the skill based combat, and their vision of progression.

Thanks for posting!

Yea, I recently bumped it as well on the Darkfall forums :) Have you seen my Imgur album though? There's quite a bit of in-engine images and concept art in there. It's also being made in CryEngine. I really appreciate the dark and realistic themed atmosphere.

JZfZVjS.jpg

QKylbaH.jpg

Yea, I recently bumped it as well on the Darkfall forums :) Have you seen my Imgur album though? There's quite a bit of in-engine images and concept art in there. It's also being made in CryEngine. I really appreciate the dark themed atmosphere.

Thanks for the image album.

How have you gathered these, if you don't mind me asking?

Also, as a die-hard Dark Souls fan, I love the art style. I really hope they can nail the despondent atmosphere Dark Souls (and Demon Souls) has created.

EOWWuhQ.png 

Also, as a die-hard Dark Souls fan, I love the art style. I really hope they can nail the despondent atmosphere Dark Souls (and Demon Souls) has created.

That game is set in Lovecraft's lore, so it'll be interesting. I'm just hoping they aren't attempting to slice too huge piece of a cake.

Yea, I've gathered them from different places.

Gaming news websites, social media and their own website (some of them I had to rip from the source-code).

I never enjoyed Dark Souls much, I guess it's because of the camera position and PvE roots but the difficulty always interested me.

The atmosphere of Dark Souls is nice though.

So far I'm completely satisfied with all of the images though, they look beautiful in my opinion.

The more important thing is whether they're going to implement the mechanics I'm interested in haha.

I was interested in this until I read about their monetization. Instantly turned me off.

http://www.revivalgame.com/philosophy/monetization

It almost sounds like it's not pay to win, but you can either earn or buy "SP" And let's be real, the people that buy it will be ahead of those that don't. It's used to get special buffs and protection. You also buy housing and ships with SP as well as special events. Sure it doesn't buy gear specifically, but it gives advantages to those that pay more which to me is pay to win.

Yea, I've gathered them from different places.

Gaming news websites, social media and their own website (some of them I had to rip from the source-code).

I never enjoyed Dark Souls much, I guess it's because of the camera position and PvE roots but the difficulty always interested me.

The atmosphere of Dark Souls is nice though.

So far I'm completely satisfied with all of the images though, they look beautiful in my opinion.

The more important thing is whether they're going to implement the mechanics I'm interested in haha.

As long as they have skillful combat, and open world PvP, I will probably like it. I prefer the darker atmospheres, and games with somewhat dramatic armor and weapons (for MMORPGs).

I am loving the art-style, though. It feels very clean.

One thing I would like to see in an MMORPG is a system that allows you to allocate all your stat points to make your character the way you want it, as well as pick, and mismatch all your skills to make your own class. I have never really felt like a game has let me make my own choices, besides maybe Runescape... and that was years, and years ago.

EOWWuhQ.png 

I was interested in this until I read about their monetization. Instantly turned me off.

http://www.revivalgame.com/philosophy/monetization

It almost sounds like it's not pay to win, but you can either earn or buy "SP" And let's be real, the people that buy it will be ahead of those that don't. It's used to get special buffs and protection. You also buy housing and ships with SP as well as special events. Sure it doesn't buy gear specifically, but it gives advantages to those that pay more which to me is pay to win.

I know what you mean and I agree with you. Many people from my own background have issues with it as well. It's the reason why I made a thread about it and hopefully things will be sorted out.

I'm not sure what your current situation is but I've been looking for a replacement of Darkfall for many years now and I haven't really been able to find one yet. There's many upcoming games but all of them have some things in it then turn me off and are simply not good enough for me.

I'm keeping track of quite a bit of games and this is one of the very few games that actually have a decent chance for me. I understand that it's a huge turnoff, it's a turnoff for me as well but just make sure to check the progression every now and then. In my case, because good games are hard to find for me I actually wanted to put effort into addressing the issues that I dislike. If nothing changes at least I've tried.

Crowfall looks promising as well but it all depends on the exact details they'll be releasing and I'm extremely picky so we'll have to wait and see.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dev reply:

"Hey Guys

This thread is big! Unfortunately there are too many things for me to answer in one post. A lot of good questions and good concerns here. I think its important to remember these 3 main factors of our Monetization theory.

1) We do not believe in Pay To Win. This is where it gets hairy. Because 'Pay To Win' is subjective, depending on who you ask it can mean completely different things. Our definition of 'Pay To Win' is something that a player can buy that gives them a major advantage when going towards a 'finish line' of some sort (best of, winner in a tournament, victor in 1v1 combat, slayer of all the monsters in a dungeon, etc.). Major is something that would be a minimum of 2 times the amount of effort of a non-paying player. Please keep in mind Revival is mostly a skill based game. I believe there are 2 monetization techniques, out of love and out of frustration. Out of love is players spending because they want to customize their gameplay experience. Out of frustration is bullying players because they feel like they can't advance unless they spend money. Revival is out of love. Yes we have things that cost hard money (like housing and boats) but these aren't things that will make a non-paying player have a worse experience. You gain SP at a comfortable rate and nowhere near as treacherous as most F2P games. My goal from the start with monetization is 'lots of pennies, not dollars'. Unfortunately, i do have to think about these things as we do have bills to pay.

2) Revival is non-linear, in every direction our game is focused on making a game that can be catered to playing how you want to play. However, there are still rules. These rules will trump on some players freedom, no one will ever get 100% what they want, it just can't happen in a sandbox game like this (somewhere, an eagle is crying in front of an american flag). This includes PVP restrcitions through blessings. We are putting in plenty of ways to make sure PVP players will be able to enjoy these mechanics and know when it is going to be challenging. As we've said before, no place is ever 100% safe, but we are making sure that there are safe areas for players to get a FULL GAME EXPERIENCE without constantly worrying about PVP. There will be messaging and plenty of ways for players to be aware and how to take advantage of these situations without splitting the player base. These systems are tied to our world's fiction too, so its not something thats just tacked on top. Our goal is to deliver a living, breathing world first. That is our #1 goal. Our goal is not to make a spread sheet game where you can max out 5 characters and then try to find 'the end game'. The term 'end game' makes me feel dirty and bizzare inside because it's something that players have had to just accept as 'well thats what you do in online games'. Revival is making a world that lives, reacts, adapts and evolves. There is no safety, there is no guarantees, and there is definitely a lot of chance. Just like real life, chaos is a HUGE factor in the world of Revival, but there are still rules to maximize people's gameplay experience.

3) We are doing Free To Play for many reasons. The subscription model only method does not work with Revival's development scheduling and structure it is also a dead method of developing online games. It is pretty much impossible to get funding from an investor for a subscription based MMO unless we made another WoW clone - which i think we can all agree here we don't want. Hopefully we dont ever even need more investors, but its something we don't want to close the door on. The bottom line is Free To Play allows us to develop how we want, when we want. I used to be extremely anti-F2P. When it was booming and everyone was all over it, i hated it because it was the new buzz word. However, once we started designing Revival and planning how we're going to make it, it quickly made sense that this is the way to go for us. Yes, there are some games that exist doing subscription only, but they are games that were grandfathered in and are able to sustain themselves fine with those subscriptions. We have GOLD servers specifically for live storytelling only to pay for the overhead it will cost to manage and maintain those servers. They will need constant dedication. Non-Gold servers will still have insanely rich experiences, just not the live-storytelling aspect.

Anyways, theres a lot of stuff that will change as we go forward. This is a completely new frontier we're stepping in. I'm sorry i don't have all the answers to all questions right now and some will just answer themselves as we go forward. We have certainly planned ahead but i don't want to dive too much into specifics on a lot of things in case they change. But I feel like can safely say the 3 points above will remain true... but even still, you never know what may change. Game development is a ****, and i love her.

Our current server plans (subject to change):
1) Gold Servers - Subscription Required - Live Storytelling - SP can be purchased - Protection plans available
2) Regular Servers - No Subscription - No Live Storytelling - SP can be purchased - Protection plans available
3) Hardcore Server - No Subscription - No Live Storytelling - SP cannot be purchased - No Protection Plans - Limited Respawn - No blessings

SP purchasing is heavily regulated and watched to make sure its not abused. There will be caps."

--

Source: www.revivalgame.com/forum#/discussion/52/monetization/p2

Hardcore Server will basically solve (almost) everything for us. The only thing you can do with real life money is purchase houses and boats which is something I can live with.

Edited by timetraveler

Sucks that they went with a P2W model for 2 servers, but then they have a F2P crazy Hardcore server...so strange. It seems interesting though, just don't see why they felt the need to segregate the communities like that. 

I'm glad about the reduced real life money influences in the hardcore server but it's pretty weird at the same time compared to the other servers indeed. It doesn't negatively influence me on the hardcore server though, if anything there would be more funding for the game itself.

About the PvP freedom, it's always hard to satisfy every party. Even though one hardcore server per region would be my preference I'm satisfied with the current idea presented. Every sandbox like / more hardcore game I've played the sheep always end up leaving the game. It's impossible to have sheeps sharing the same world with wolves doing their own things without restricting the wolves. I mean, Crowfall has some kind of hybrid model as well trying to satisfy everyone. We'll see how that works out though.

I don't understand how buying housing and boats is not pay 2 win. At the very least boats. If they have naval combat, well you're out of a likely large part of the game if you don't spend money to buy a boat, or hope someone you know pays money to buy a boat. If there's no naval combat, what's the point of boats? Or if there isn't, it's still likely important. Like fishing or transport. Which if you don't spend money, you're still out of. 

And they're claiming that Revival is a game you "live in." Well if you don't pay money you can't live in a place of your own.

I want to know what the role of housing and boats is in Revival and how important it is. Like in ArcheAge, housing and boats were absolute necessities and based on how it sounds to be in Revival, they will be too.

• 11 months later...

Just wanted to update this thread they are or in the process of finishing stage 1 (Housing) and are about to soon start stage 2 (The City) of their development process.

Me and my buddies are always looking for friendly people to game with. Are you that type of person? Then look us up @ www.seireitei.info ;)