Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
icedern

Camelot Unchained

I've backed both but CF seems more open and inclusive with its community and IMO its testing regime is more collaborative.

Hopefully, both will succeed as they offer alternative visions from the current MMO standard. 

o8WHnLc.png

THE most active European guild. Join us

now!

CU will start opening the test more soon.  There has been a lot of work done with the IT team.  Fun to see the changes with each new push of the game. 

Serrated will be running a chapter in CU and have high hopes for it.  But CF, CU and CoE are all promising big things.  It is a race to launch:)

See you in game!

CU will start opening the test more soon.  There has been a lot of work done with the IT team.  Fun to see the changes with each new push of the game. 

Serrated will be running a chapter in CU and have high hopes for it.  But CF, CU and CoE are all promising big things.  It is a race to launch:)

See you in game!

Who will deliver?  I don't think we'll see CoE for a while, so for me it is between CF, CU and GV.  I think CF will deliver, more or less, on the major portions of their design.  I am less convinced that CU will.  Don't count out GV, either.  I think they may have the most tenacious and dedicated dev team in the history of MMOs.  May the best game win...

The Artist Formerly Known as Regulus

Who will deliver?  I don't think we'll see CoE for a while, so for me it is between CF, CU and GV.  I think CF will deliver, more or less, on the major portions of their design.  I am less convinced that CU will.  Don't count out GV, either.  I think they may have the most tenacious and dedicated dev team in the history of MMOs.  May the best game win...

GV?

OS_Sig3.png

I've been looking at CU a bit more closely.  I am wondering what the major, core differences in the philosophy of game design between CU and CF are? 

It appears, on the surface, that what I thought I was getting from CF is more the focus of CU.  For example, CU seems to be really trying to recapture the golden age of MMORPGs, while avoiding the missteps and improving on the old ideas.  CF certainly has some of that, but also seems to be attempting to look at other genres and trends to base their game on (in particularly borrowing very heavily from EVE which has been unique in the MMO genre).  They both are innovating to a certain degree, but CF's innovation seems to be focused on impermanence, while CU has more stability.  Therefore, CU seems to be more about crafting a world to experience, while CF seems more about creating a replayable competition (though both have some of each).

So, thinking out loud, as a "stomping old schooler" perhaps I'll look at the features and compare some of them briefly:

1. PvP model: CU has tri faction PvP; CF has, what amounts to, guild based PvP.  In my personal opinion, tri faction PvP is the best model for a MMORPG (you always have a team, and you always have an opponent and it self-regulates). Point CU.

2. Aesthetic:  I am also not wild about the look of CU and prefer CF's races by a ton.  Though in CU defense, it is less anime looking than original design art made it appear to be early on (anime Vikings were just weird). From what I can tell, CF comes out slightly ahead here.  Point CF.

3. Crafting:  I don't really craft usually, so I only have a passing interest.  They both sound decent.  However, CU you can craft skills, but CF is bringing back things like taming.  So, here I think they have a tie.

4. Races and Classes:  I have to say I do not dislike Archetypes--in fact, I think they are just as good or better than race/class characters.  However, CU has far more identity and faction coherence than CF, which has virtually none.  CU also has some very creative sounding classes, perhaps more creative than CF.  Point CU.

5. Combat:  I can't really judge, because I haven't seen/played CU combat at all.  CU does have some very cool sounding powers, though they will have tab targeting.  I don't hate tab targeting, and potentially this will be one of those systems that allows for truly huge battles.  Both CU and CF should have physics.  Again, too early to call this one (especially).  No points. 

There are obviously more features and systems to rate, the skill/advancement systems being a huge one.  I am sure these two games will be compared quite a bit as time goes on, as they are both PvP MMOs.  Although, it is becoming more apparent to me that CF is looking to pick up some of the new MMO crowd and those in other genres, while CU seems like it is very specific to MMORPG enthusiasts and old schoolers.  Time will tell, and as always, I wish both games good luck.   

The Artist Formerly Known as Regulus

I actually think a lot of the early backers of crowfall will end up playing camelot unchained a lot.  It's good to have both games around as they will offer different experiences, both of which can be fulfilling and interesting.

Skeggold, Skalmold, Skildir ro Klofnir

I loved DAoC, it was my first MMO, but MMOs have evolved to a different pace than what it seems they're offering. I'll try it out, but my eggs are in the Crowfall basket.

If you were/are a Dark Age of Camelot or you love mmo pvp, go back this game.  www.camelotunchained.com

Any other CU backers?

I have backed it and bought into, I believe in Jacobs as much as Raph.

THE CORRUPT FEAR  | THE HONEST SUPPORT  | THE HEROIC JOIN 

I backed both games, and look forward to playing them, idk which one ill play tho im leaning more towards Crowfall. I been waiting many years for games like these so i felt obligated to back Life is Feudal, Gloria Victis, Albion Online, Crowfall, Camelot Unchained, Of Kings and Men. Now it seems all these games can possibly deliver what i been wanting for a while.

krevra.png

I just think the NDA is kinda ruining the game hype building. The first time i checked it out i was totally into it, i read everything about it, loved all the classes and Abilties stuff. But i cant see anything about the game.

I still check the news every friday to read their updates but it is not enough to keep my mind in the game. All the gameplay i saw was some ugly graphics in one of the devs old streams. Actually thats the only thing keeping me at bay about the game, the graphics. I know it sounds like i am graphics-who.re but i cant help it. A game realing in 2016+ must have good (not amazing mind you) graphics.

I've considered backing CU once I learned about CFs idea for the whole 'Spirit Crow' thing. But I also don't want to play a sub fee game. We'll see I guess, I already but a butt-load of money into CF.

Elder Scrolls Online - Templar/Nightblade Mains      Guild Wars 2 - Necromancer/Thief Mains    http://www.twitch.tv/sommazzatore

I've considered backing CU once I learned about CFs idea for the whole 'Spirit Crow' thing. But I also don't want to play a sub fee game. We'll see I guess, I already but a butt-load of money into CF.

You basicly have to sub for Crowfall unless you really intend long term to just be one Archetype even then will be at disadvantage because vets can train 3 skills vs your 1 if vets choose to go all in on one class

Edited by krevra

krevra.png

I started playing Daoc after Ultima Online, and it totally sucked in comparison. Felt more like everquest. So I am totally with Crowfall.

Although maybe I will give CU a try.

Edited by rajah

You basicly have to sub for Crowfall unless you really intend long term to just be one Archetype even then will be at disadvantage because vets can train 3 skills vs your 1 if vets choose to go all in on one class

I don't think that's how it works. You can't train all 3 skills on the same AT, it has to be 3 different ATs. I don't plan to have VIP atm, and not too concerned about it. Means I'll need to stick with only one AT at first, but that's ok. 

As for Camelot Unchained, still keeping an eye on it. Their marketing and social media posts makes it very hard for me to remain interested, and the tab target combat and mandatory monthly sub totally turn me off. But their engine sounds very promising performance wise for large scale fights. I heard the textures in their alpha test are still meh though, so we'll see how it holds up once they go onto real graphics and not placeholders. 

VIP allows you to train 3 different archetypes, but not 3 skills in one archetype.  This is true even in the current Alpha build.  Though there is a bug where you can train an advanced archetype without all the prerequisites and not counting as the same skill tree as the base class.  They may allow you to train 3 different advanced archetype trees from the same base class.

I have been keeping my eye on camelot unchained since it was first announced.  The new screenshots dont seem bad, and they are doing some innovative things, but tab targeting is also an issue for me.  I have friends heavily invested in both games and although my primary focus is on crowfall I will likely give CU a bit of my time.

VIP allows you to train 3 different archetypes, but not 3 skills in one archetype.  This is true even in the current Alpha build.  Though there is a bug where you can train an advanced archetype without all the prerequisites and not counting as the same skill tree as the base class.  They may allow you to train 3 different advanced archetype trees from the same base class.

I have been keeping my eye on camelot unchained since it was first announced.  The new screenshots dont seem bad, and they are doing some innovative things, but tab targeting is also an issue for me.  I have friends heavily invested in both games and although my primary focus is on crowfall I will likely give CU a bit of my time.

That musta been it then cause i was training stuff in ranger and brigand

krevra.png

That musta been it then cause i was training stuff in ranger and brigand

...pre alpha...

skills don´t matter - they have less to non effect , just the time of training do in this phase...

System is going to be : 3 different AT skills at once... so there is just variety no advantage..

Edited by NchDu

...pre alpha...

skills doesn´t matter, just the time of training do in this phase...

System is going to be : 3 different AT skills at once... so there is just variety no advantage..

I dont really wanna go into this here an derail this any further, but i stated my views on this as well as others.

I did hear tho that beta is suppose to be soon for Camelot Unchained in a live stream. Tho from playing it, it seems pretty far out lol. Game seems to run pretty smooth for what it is atm tho even with alot of stuff going on at the same time serverwise.

krevra.png

The most recent new articles on the CU webpage talk about server optimization for large battles, which seems like a precursor for going into a beta level test.  The screenshots look nice so far, still some work to do obviously, but that's to be expected.