Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
checkyotrack

The Unfortunate Truth: Crowfall Will Not Fill Your Shadowbane Void

Woah you spent 10 years just losing towns?

Yes. Every time I'd "go to town" on yo mama, it really just amounted to 10 years of fail.

I said it was absurd thinking someone would spend 10 years losing towns. It was a pun, mostly because you'd have to spend literally the entire amount of time SB was up in beta, live, and the emus just to reach a total decade. And Manshoon didn't play for a solid decade to lose that many towns.

Agreed that most pining for old games is nothing more than nostalgia.  That's what brings us bull**** like paper doll inventory systems ala UO~DF.  If some of you SB loving clowns had your way, you'd be having some click-to-move crap too.  Don't deny it.

I am on a mission to use "clowns" in all of my posts now.

"Food for the crows..."    Nobuo Xa'el

cdinUTh.png

Yes. Every time I'd "go to town" on yo mama, it really just amounted to 10 years of fail.

I said it was absurd thinking someone would spend 10 years losing towns. It was a pun, mostly because you'd have to spend literally the entire amount of time SB was up in beta, live, and the emus just to reach a total decade. And Manshoon didn't play for a solid decade to lose that many towns.

Dude, my mom....she never told me about you.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

mmMMMMmMMMMmmm....

click to move paper dolls.....

Holy hot sauce Batman, the Dr. is not only in, but now you have to respect his authoritah!

Grats Doc. You're a gentleman and a scholar.

We don't always agree, but when we do, we should drink Dos Equis.

Agreed that most pining for old games is nothing more than nostalgia.  That's what brings us bull**** like paper doll inventory systems ala UO~DF.  If some of you SB loving clowns had your way, you'd be having some click-to-move crap too.  Don't deny it.

I am on a mission to use "clowns" in all of my posts now.

Wait... you're telling me I have to use a keyboard to move? *Dreams crushed*

MOBAs use click-to-move and they're the most popular games... and we all know how telling popularity is... LOL. <--laughter not the game...@#$@$%# acronyms 

It did fit shadowbane beautifully, but yeah, not so much with a psychics-heavy modern MMO. It would be hilarious though! Damnit. I want it now! Clowns...

Edited by Blank

The issue that a lot of we Shadowbane survivors have recognizing the loss problem is because we were almost all the most hardcore of the hardcore.  We were the ones that were still playing after the game rendered down its population over and over again in the crucible.  Of course we didn't have a huge problem with loss... if we had, we'd have quit along with everyone else.

Case in point, Shadowbane taught me that losing was inevitable and nothing to be overly upset about.  I still get mad when I lose for stupid reasons or just can't seem to win at all some nights, but over-all it was a lesson learned.  Then I would play something like Warhammer Online and herd cats, then lose half my zerg the moment we bounced off a keep or lost a fight in the field.  People are willing to put up with a lot of crap if they're winning, but few people are willing to put themselves through crap when they lose.

There is totally an audience for Shadowbane.  It's just small and it will consume itself if it isn't part of a larger community.  Unfortunately, it will also consume that community.

Sorry, but I disagree. The total and utter destruction is what drove much of the player-base away.

No, inability to move away and start fresh is what drove away players. Everyone played ruthlessly, and kept kicking the other side while it was down. That what drove losers away.

The best thing about Shadowbane -- You could burn down their city.

The worst thing about Shadowbane -- They could burn down your city.

Yes, this. Still, you could mitigate the worst thing a great deal.

For example, banes in SB were binary - you lost everything or you fought the other guys off. Why, for example, I couldn't drop a stone on you that would make you pay me a tithe? This way big guilds could fight over smaller cities and treat them as a resource nodes. You could also have politics - you help other big guild siege your city (by opening the gates or turning spires off) if they promise lower tithe rate.

Because nothing will. Nothing will replace the years of memories with your guildies and all you have left is reminiscings of Shadowbane ownage. Nothing will replace that and you will feel empty forever. And then you'll die.

If the lack of a video game makes you feel sad or empty, you may want to go speak with a therapist because you have some serious issues.

If the lack of a video game makes you feel sad or empty, you may want to go speak with a therapist because you have some serious issues.

Don't judge my mental health scrub. I have a team of doctors to do that for me.

Edited by checkyotrack

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

Honestly, if you wanted to be an a-hole about you the same can be said for basically anything.

Not really, being sad because of an actual bad thing like a relative dying or being dumped by a significant other are healthy emotional responses. Being sad because you miss a video game is not natural or healthy.

checkyotrack, do you even know what the word scrub means? Serious question.

Edited by TheShortestPath

I miss the fun and experiences I had with awesome people. Pretty natural and healthy to feel nostalgia for past good times.

SWrkfdj.jpg

I think you are probably right about check having some issues, but certainly not for that reason! Nothing wrong about feeling a bit empty about the lack of an awesome game to play, some of my best experiences have been playing online with my good pals. And that's even though I have no shortcoming of epic experiences like travelling the world, making love to a lot of stunning beauties, climbing mountains, base jumping, parachuting, doing copious amounts of high-grade drugs, snowboarding in the alps, hiking in the deep jungle(I killed a 3m long snake and made BBQ out of that mothercustard!), etc...

That's not to say I don't have some issues on my own, but I don't count my gaming nostalgia among them.

Edited by Zushakon

Member of The BlackHand Order

Not really, being sad because of an actual bad thing like a relative dying or being dumped by a significant other are healthy emotional responses. Being sad because you miss a video game is not natural or healthy.

Absolutely.  Not being able to engage in a favored activity isn't anything to get worked up over.  Which is why impotence, minor but career ending sports injuries and loss of fine motor in musicians are no big deal.

Shadowbane was a big part of a lot of peoples' lives, many of whom are talking about it in this thread.  We made friends and enemies, socialized and fought in that imaginary world and the online community that surrounded it.  For many of us, Shadowbane was also our First game and there's always an emotional attachment in that case.

On the other hand, you're just posting.  So go jump in a lake.

EDIT: That's a very interesting word to censor.

Edited by Daerim