Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Silly Question: Left-Handed Characters

Greetings, members of the Crowfall community.

I know this is just as silly and unimportant as it sounds, but, I was wondering to what extents the character customisation might go. I mean, with all the bits and bobs that the bonuses and penalties, and I'm pretty sure that the appearance will have its fair share of customisation options.

Now, the thing is, as a member of the left-handed community of the world, I usually feel more in touch with the character I play if I am allowed to handle a weapon with the left hand, whereas most of the games restrict that to the right hand, unless dual-wielding. Not that I think it's the most important thing, or any sort of requirement for me to feel fulfilled in the game, but as seen as no one else seemed bothered to ask the question, I thought I'd give it a go.

So what are your thoughts on the matter? How plausible do you think this would be?

Its an interesting topic, and I wish more games catered to left handed people.

But I do belive this wont be implemented. Changing weapon location requires a completely new character and animation for every archetype. Thats twice the work, just to suit  a very niche demo.

maybe, just maybe, we'll see a lefthanded archetype, but nothing more.

Edited by Zinnie

I think you're right. But this

would still be nice.

Edited by Dsanzv

But I do belive this wont be implemented. Changing weapon location requires a completely new character and animation for every archetype. Thats twice the work, just to suit  a very niche demo.

Or simply using an algoritm to reserve animate characters and add them into game, i dont really thing this is going to be problem if they decide to implement it.

I agree completely with Zinnie.

The amount of new animations needed, unless they already allow duel wielding, would probably be out of the budget.

On the flip side, if they do add duel wielding it should be easy to have a toggle for it in the future!

(on a vaguely related note I really hope they take left handed PLAYERS into consideration! The default key bindings in a lot of games are trickier than I'd like...)

• 3 weeks later...

Ok this might sound stupid, but couldn´t they just "mirror" the animations? this would basically feel like left handed ^^

Exactly what I thought when I saw this thread. Wouldn't be any harder than mirroring the model, animations and hitboxes (concidering the originals work as they should).

I wonder if it'll make any difference that the character swings from the other direction? Maybe, maybe not. Might affect the skill ceiling as "pros" could figure out if the character they are fighting is left- or right-handed and use it to their advantage as much as possible (like figuring out what direction that's best for dodging, blocking, etc.)

Edited by CyberWing89

I agree completely with Zinnie.

The amount of new animations needed, unless they already allow duel wielding, would probably be out of the budget.

On the flip side, if they do add duel wielding it should be easy to have a toggle for it in the future!

(on a vaguely related note I really hope they take left handed PLAYERS into consideration! The default key bindings in a lot of games are trickier than I'd like...)

I feel like a lot of the games coming out soon/that have come out recently have a lefty option but I could be wrong as I'm right handed and don't look for this sort of thing. I know I have stumbled across it in quite a few games.

Having lefty opponents would certainly add a lot of finer details to combat, for the pros at least, probably wouldn't change much for average players.

Ok this might sound stupid, but couldn´t they just "mirror" the animations? this would basically feel like left handed ^^

I think mirroring would work? maybe? It feels like it shouldn't for some reason but I'm to tired to figure it out right now, I'll edit the post if I have a revelation.

Edited by Uuthgar

They could add sinister to the character customization features, giving you a slight increase in critical hit or something... not that I approve of critical hit, but it was in the demonstration stats...

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

In the SCA, a lot of southpaws end up dual wielding, because there's little point in having a shield on your right arm just to block your opponent's shield. So playing a dual wield build will give you most of the effect of being left-handed.

Official "Bad Person" of Crowfall

"I think 1/3rd of my postcount is telling people that we aren't turning into a PvE / casual / broad audience game." -

Tully

wouldn't that mean that they would have to make the same animation 2 times? 1 for each hand

I think most animation software thingies have tools to do this kind of thing easily by just 'reflecting' across the Y axis. Blender does anyway, I think. I'm more familiar with the 3d modelling side of things than animation, so I could be wrong.

I think most animation software thingies have tools to do this kind of thing easily by just 'reflecting' across the Y axis. Blender does anyway, I think. I'm more familiar with the 3d modelling side of things than animation, so I could be wrong.

I've only played around with unity so I don't know for sure but it almost definitely has a reflect on y axis thing, it's very user friendly.

I am a fencer IRL, and I can tell you one thing for sure, left-handed fencers are usually at an advantage. It would be really neat to have an Advantage based on this.

The remarkable Olympic fencer Edoardo Mangiarotti (who won medals in every event he ever fenced) was specifically taught to fence left-handed by his father to give him a competitive advantage. You are far more likely to fence a righty than a lefty, so righties always find it a little harder to fence lefties. You could make it so the Southpaw advantage could give a 5% damage boost against non-Southpaw swordsman, but only when fighting with swords.

Interestingly, it is also less likely for a lefty to fence another lefty than it is for any given righty to fence a lefty. In other words, to be accurate to real life, the Southpaw advantage could also have an inherent disadvantage of -5% damage against other Southpaws. This could open up the way for other bonuses to become more impactful between two Southpaws (since the fight would take longer). In other words, the better Southpaw would more than likely win.

Drew aka Geldarion

Former PvP officer for Old Timers Guild

Cohost for Casual Core Radio, Owner of The Fanatical Swordsman