Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Silly Question: Left-Handed Characters

Dsanzv

Place a mirror opposing your monitor, place your keyboard and mouse in front/at-an-angle to the mirror, and turn your computer chair around.. do it Legend of Zelda style and flip the entire world!... voila! 

---

It would be neat to see maybe a specific archetype (or two) be a southpaw. I don't think mirroring animations would be a high enough priority feature in a crowdfunded game like Crowfall. They'll likely want to squeeze as much time and effort into the bigger picture stuff. However, I think it would be completely plausible to have an archetype built from the ground up being left-handed, unless there is some specific hit-box/collision constraint. 

---

On the left-hand input side-topic, I really hope Crowfall has a robust/editable keybinding system. 

I am a fencer IRL, and I can tell you one thing for sure, left-handed fencers are usually at an advantage. It would be really neat to have an Advantage based on this.

The remarkable Olympic fencer Edoardo Mangiarotti (who won medals in every event he ever fenced) was specifically taught to fence left-handed by his father to give him a competitive advantage. You are far more likely to fence a righty than a lefty, so righties always find it a little harder to fence lefties. You could make it so the Southpaw advantage could give a 5% damage boost against non-Southpaw swordsman, but only when fighting with swords.

Interestingly, it is also less likely for a lefty to fence another lefty than it is for any given righty to fence a lefty. In other words, to be accurate to real life, the Southpaw advantage could also have an inherent disadvantage of -5% damage against other Southpaws. This could open up the way for other bonuses to become more impactful between two Southpaws (since the fight would take longer). In other words, the better Southpaw would more than likely win.

I actually like the idea of it being an advantage (and mirroring the animations, although that might be a technical limitation). Although I did want to point out that the whole disadvantage against other lefties isn't really needed. You have a 5% damage bonus vs everyone else, the other lefty has the same, so effectively the advantage has been negated. Only difference being you both do slightly more damage than if the disadvantage was there.

Basically, creating the animations would be just mirroring. However, this would require double the amount of animations to be loaded into memory for everyone, and since it is just a cosmetic change, I've never seen a game take the hit to loading times and system requirements just to add this.

I actually like the idea of it being an advantage (and mirroring the animations, although that might be a technical limitation). Although I did want to point out that the whole disadvantage against other lefties isn't really needed. You have a 5% damage bonus vs everyone else, the other lefty has the same, so effectively the advantage has been negated. Only difference being you both do slightly more damage than if the disadvantage was there.

True, neither is given an advantage, but the time-to-kill is lengthened, which gives time for your other talents to come into play, just like a lefty facing a lefty in real life. I was only going by what you would see in real life. Probably overkill. :D

Drew aka Geldarion

Former PvP officer for Old Timers Guild

Cohost for Casual Core Radio, Owner of The Fanatical Swordsman

I feel like a lot of the games coming out soon/that have come out recently have a lefty option but I could be wrong as I'm right handed and don't look for this sort of thing. I know I have stumbled across it in quite a few games.

I actually had a Private conversation with Gordon about this. He said they are working on a left handed keybind for the game. I have offered my services to make sure they "get it right" and hopefully, once my Alpha access is given, I will be able to work closely with them and provide feedback.

Lamdred Al'Ker - OTG

I could perfectly fit in a design view. Left-handed characters could have special pro/con and right-handed ones as well.

But a decorative effect is good to take too, Counter-Strike did it very well and the game is old as the internet !

I am a fencer IRL, and I can tell you one thing for sure, left-handed fencers are usually at an advantage. It would be really neat to have an Advantage based on this.

The remarkable Olympic fencer Edoardo Mangiarotti (who won medals in every event he ever fenced) was specifically taught to fence left-handed by his father to give him a competitive advantage. You are far more likely to fence a righty than a lefty, so righties always find it a little harder to fence lefties. You could make it so the Southpaw advantage could give a 5% damage boost against non-Southpaw swordsman, but only when fighting with swords.

Interestingly, it is also less likely for a lefty to fence another lefty than it is for any given righty to fence a lefty. In other words, to be accurate to real life, the Southpaw advantage could also have an inherent disadvantage of -5% damage against other Southpaws. This could open up the way for other bonuses to become more impactful between two Southpaws (since the fight would take longer). In other words, the better Southpaw would more than likely win.

Everyone would then just run a lefty player. If everyone you fight is lefty, then everyone has the -5% damage, so it is null. No one would roll a righty because they would be at a disadvantage.

Everyone would then just run a lefty player. If everyone you fight is lefty, then everyone has the -5% damage, so it is null. No one would roll a righty because they would be at a disadvantage.

I can almost guarantee there will be an advantage that is close to 5% damage. They are supposed to be substantial changers. So it's really a question of how many stats you lose to get it. Opportunity cost. You will give up other bonuses to get that 5%.

Greetings, members of the Crowfall community.

So what are your thoughts on the matter? How plausible do you think this would be?

It's feasible with some animation systems to "mirror" all animations without redoing all the work. It just means that an engineer has to sit down and fiddle with things for a couple of days to make sure that every character ever can use the system to be either a "leftie" or a "rightie". 

That being said, those couple days of engineering could be used on something more important, like latency optimizations or better timing for visual effects to coincide with weapon swings.

Greatswords for Frostweavers 2015! For great justice! And swords.

P.S. I like swords.

just to be clear, I was referring to a left handed keyboard layout, not a left handed character.

Haha, I figured that is what you meant. BTW, you are from OTG as well, I see! /wave

If it were an Advantage, you would have to select it at the beginning of character creation, along with all of your other Advantages.

This would be an odd Advantage, sure. Most Advantages, I imagine, would have only "+5% ranged damage" or "+10% dexterity" or something along those lines. This one has a "+5% sword damage" which is probably fairly moderate, AND it has the added disadvantage of "-5% damage against other Southpaws." It is only a moderate Advantage in certain situations, therefore it is not overpowered.

Also, it is true that the "-5% damage against other Southpaws" would cancel out the disadvantage (note lowercase "d" there), however, both parties would be doing 5% less damage, and this would increase the fight time between two Southpaws, which would allow differences in skill and build to become more evident. Just like in real life when actual lefties fencing each other take longer to do anything because they feel uncomfortable.

Also, this is all highly theoretical and just a bit of fun game theory on my part. It isn't like this is actually in the game; I am more defending it because I think it is interesting, and I like the idea.

Edited by Geldarion

Drew aka Geldarion

Former PvP officer for Old Timers Guild

Cohost for Casual Core Radio, Owner of The Fanatical Swordsman

Many of the advantages/disadvantages have specific names, blind eagle eye, ogre strength, stuff like that. So an advantage called lefty or southpaw would fit right in.