Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bassa

Ace Please Make A Statement Regarding The Combat System.

... you and me both are very happy to see they're drawing inspiration from Tera.

...mistakes and the like become more a matter of the wrong decision than poor skill. 

...However, the more RNG a system has, the potential for that skill is indeed capped.  Eventually, the RNG will impact you in a way that no amount of skill can cover for.  You miss your stun and you missed it because the game decided you missed.

Yes! We both seem to like the way it's going! And I also don't wanna see lots of RNG in the game, doesn't go well with corpse looting :P

I disagree with you view of skill cap though. (and at this point I guess this discussion is a bit derailed, but oh well)

If you're more skillful, you have a higher chance to win. And you can increase this advantage by getting more skillful. You won't get capped, the more skillful, the bigger advantage. You might still lose in some isolated cases due to RNG and other variables, this is variance, it exists in all competitions, it doesn't nullify skill, it changes the sample size needed to show the skill difference reliably.

I've used poker as a reference before, because it's very RNG heavy. It's hard to tell after watching a few games who's the stronger player. But when you pull up a spreadsheet with a graph over the last few months, it becomes clear. Some players earn money consistently - the more skillful they get, the more money they earn. And players with good bankroll management can win big money every single month, 12/12 months 4 years straight. Though they certainly lost a few pots along the way.

So in Crowfall, if a better player can lose one fight to a random stun, then remember a campaign consists of many fights, and the better player is likely to win more of them and in turn is more likely to win the campaign. And so on.

I started playing TERA as a lancer to see how a TERA like Crowfall would feel for a shield user.

My character is still a low level Lancer, but the block based combat so far has been exceptional.  Blocking feels so good.

I like the generally pace of TERA (Character movement, animation lock, walk speed, etc).

How Can Mounts Add to the Crowfall Experience?  Caravans, Hunting Boars, and more.

How Complex can Mining be in Crowfall?  Mining difficulty, fatigue, infrastructure.

Even if they tell you or guarantee you something, are you likely to believe it at this stage? I think we just put in the support and have faith in THEIR ability to make the game. After all we are not the designers and programmers here. Since you put in the money, might as well have patience and Im sure big news like this will be announced when they are ready.

Forum_Signature.png

Chalcitis - A Treasure Hunting Guild, visit Forum Post

I started playing TERA as a lancer to see how a TERA like Crowfall would feel for a shield user.

My character is still a low level Lancer, but the block based combat so far has been exceptional.  Blocking feels so good.

I like the generally pace of TERA (Character movement, animation lock, walk speed, etc).

So do you like it as in terms of PvE terms? I imagine if you are low level that's the experience so far. I would agree it works really really well in Tera for PvE, I have my reservations that system would be the best pick for Crowfall and what it is suppose to be however.

My concern is how that system would really work day in and day out in a game of pretty much pvp with sieges etc.

Edited by sarin

Yes! We both seem to like the way it's going! And I also don't wanna see lots of RNG in the game, doesn't go well with corpse looting :P

I disagree with you view of skill cap though. (and at this point I guess this discussion is a bit derailed, but oh well)

If you're more skillful, you have a higher chance to win. And you can increase this advantage by getting more skillful. You won't get capped, the more skillful, the bigger advantage. You might still lose in some isolated cases due to RNG and other variables, this is variance, it exists in all competitions, it doesn't nullify skill, it changes the sample size needed to show the skill difference reliably.

I've used poker as a reference before, because it's very RNG heavy. It's hard to tell after watching a few games who's the stronger player. But when you pull up a spreadsheet with a graph over the last few months, it becomes clear. Some players earn money consistently - the more skillful they get, the more money they earn. And players with good bankroll management can win big money every single month, 12/12 months 4 years straight. Though they certainly lost a few pots along the way.

So in Crowfall, if a better player can lose one fight to a random stun, then remember a campaign consists of many fights, and the better player is likely to win more of them and in turn is more likely to win the campaign. And so on.

I certainly am not downplaying skill, but if you take, say, Poker, and compare it to Fencing?  That's what I am getting at.  Even the best can lose because of bad luck.  The difference is that in fencing you can control that luck which I'd argue inherently requires more skill to excell at.

I certainly am not downplaying skill, but if you take, say, Poker, and compare it to Fencing?  That's what I am getting at.  Even the best can lose because of bad luck.  The difference is that in fencing you can control that luck which I'd argue inherently requires more skill to excell at.

Still doesn't get it lol.

So do you like it as in terms of PvE terms? I imagine if you are low level that's the experience so far. I would agree it works really really well in Tera for PvE, I have my reservations that system would be the best pick for Crowfall and what it is suppose to be however.

My concern is how that system would really work day in and day out in a game of pretty much pvp with sieges etc.

It works really well with TERA's PvP. That's why the PvP in that game is so good, it's purely because of the combat.

I hope they can pull off better combat then what they have released.  The videos I have seen so far are very lackluster.  Chars just stand there and swing.  When the get hit back there is no winching like it hurt them.  They just stand there and keep swinging.  I think I would rather have a tera reticle then all of those skill telegraph on the ground.  Those telegraphs are way beyond the reach of the melee weapons.  The weapons don't even connect on the player and it does damage.  it looks very unrealistic.   I know it is early in development and hopefully the final iteration is completely opposite of the crap that has been released so far.

Combat is very important in a sandbox game.  It had better be semi realistic, fast, fun and exciting.  I really hope they expand on this combat and think it through.  It needs to at least be as good as tera combat.  Even better if possible.

It works really well with TERA's PvP. That's why the PvP in that game is so good, it's purely because of the combat.

The combat videos I have seen so far are not even remotely comparable to Tera.  Lets hope their talk about combat being as good as Tera can be backed up with some results.  What I have traditionally seen with developers is, when they release something, they end up expanding upon what they released to public.  It takes a lot to say, "it is crap" and go back to the drawing board.  What they released so far is Crap, I am tossing this off to it being work in progress, hopefully.

The two lead guys have a lot in Credentials.  They also have a lot of failures and successes.  I hope they can feed off the creativity of their young designers and not wallow in the past concerning combat.  As much as the masses want a sandbox, they also want updated combat.  The problem with most sandbox games nowadays is they feel like a low budget film.  I am not to concerned with the amount of content released in Crowfall initially, BUT, what is released better blow your socks off.  Otherwise this will be another failure of a sandbox, like the many that preceded it.

With that said, I have pledged for two packages, A Sapphire and Amber package. Hence, I have a little blind faith in this team.