Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hsmith

03/04/15 - Crowfall Is Using Unity 5!

Hello everyone!

I know a lot of you have been asking to hear more about the technical side of Crowfall and I thought with the public release of Unity 5 it would be a good time to talk about how that particular piece of technology has played a significant role in how we've been building the game.

2abf5692b9aa26c842d6a68b019454fb_large.j

We've been using Unity 5 early on in its beta and this choice was influenced by a number of important factors. A big part of it was how it brings together an impressive collection of proven, AAA quality modules out of the box. From their new PhysX 3.3 integration for physics simulation (extremely important to Crowfall's unique flavor of physically based combat) to their usage of Mono and the .NET platform - the developers at Unity have been kind enough to assemble a veritable dream team of game development middleware. As a team that has built more than their fair share of game engines as both hobbyists and professionals it's hard to overstate how much time was saved by not having to wrangle all these third party libraries and make them play nice with one another (not to mention those pesky licensing fees!)

Crowfall_FWGameplay1.jpg

For most games this would be enough, but from its inception Crowfall has been a different kind of game that has very unique requirements. Fortunately, Unity has a well architected extension system - both as editor and runtime managed code as well as a native plugin architecture. This has enabled us to make significant modifications to subsystems that would otherwise be considered "under the hood" of most engines, and bring in our own or additional technology (like the beloved VoxelFarm!) not to mention the massive collection of libraries opened up to us in the .NET ecosystem.

For development, we’ve also been extremely impressed with the additional workflow and features that Unity 5 has given us. As a programmer, their robust debugging and profiling tools have been invaluable in helping us identify issues and performance bottlenecks early on. Our combat team has been very happy with the improvements to the Mechanim system - especially the new animation state behaviors, and the new uGUI system has helped us build working prototypes of many of the screens you’ve already seen.

Crowfall_T1Gameplay2.jpg

Post launch, Crowfall’s unique Dying Worlds concept means we are going to need to be able to deliver new content quickly and effectively, and break up resources specific to each world and ruleset. We’ve been looking into the new powerful Asset Bundle system in Unity 5 to help us with this.

There’s a lot more I’d love to talk and share with you! As always feel free to post on the forums and ask questions, and I’ll answer them as best I can. Let us know if you guys find these kinds of posts enjoyable (I’m not sure if they’re as much fun as design and art posts) Thanks for reading, looking forward to talking with you some more!

Crowfall_D1Gameplay.jpg

Now that UE4 is free, would you tell your past self to choose UE4 instead? What advantages or disadvantages does UE4 bring compared to Unity5?

UE4 is only free until you need to claim earnings as taxable (above $3000 (hobby income threshold) in one year) at which point UE requires a 5% royalty.

Edited by Vitality

Now that UE4 is free, would you tell your past self to choose UE4 instead? What advantages or disadvantages does UE4 bring compared to Unity5?

UE4 isn't designed for procedural anything. Also would be the worst for voxel based stuff. Destruction is tough in that engine.

Edited by goodandy

forum-sig-anim30.gif

UE4 isn't free, though: 

If I release a commercial product, what royalties are due to Epic, and when? Generally, you are obligated to pay to Epic 5% of all gross revenue after the first $3,000 per game per calendar quarter for your product, regardless of what company collects the revenue. For example, if your product earns $10 from sales on the App Store, the royalty due is $0.50 (5% of $10), even though you would receive roughly $7 from Apple after they deduct their distribution fee of roughly $3 (30% of $10).

Tully Ackland

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc. 

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

There’s a lot more I’d love to talk and share with you! As always feel free to post on the forums and ask questions, and I’ll answer them as best I can. Let us know if you guys find these kinds of posts enjoyable (I’m not sure if they’re as much fun as design and art posts) Thanks for reading, looking forward to talking with you some more!

As a software developer myself I actually drool over such inside informations. Please continue (as your schedule permits)! :D

Very good news, please keeep up the news like this we are very interested in this stuff

I am especially interested, being a CS student myself :P

Edited by Navhkrin

Good stuff to know! Although I am not a programmer myself, I do enjoy reading about the challenges (and solutions) faced by software architects because very often these choices also impact the rest of the development team. 

ohhh man, as a programmer, this things turn me on.

Thanks for sharing so much about the implementation of engines and programing of the game, really loving how open you are about the game <3

B) All hail Uncle Bob. B)

Thanks for head up guys, I greatly appreciate it!! Thank you so much! The communication is amazing, you guys rock, I don't regret my 150$ at all. Keep up the good work!

And about the unity5, awesome... simple awesome!!

Edited by Esther

t70C8a9.png     "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has it's limits."  - Albert Einstein