Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Permanent Death Rule

Besides, this has been discussed in several other threads already... suppose we'll see it recycled quite a bit more since people really seem to like the idea and want to talk about it.

Fixed that for you.  ;)

Edited by OneNeutrino

What if rather then rather then permadeath slain players become pseudo monsters- in that campaign they lose the ability to harvest/craft, have their reward structure change to being based on number of "living" players killed- this approach prevents depopulation driven slowdown as the server progresses.

I didn't see this suggested anywhere else, so I apologize if it has been. 

http://community.crowfall.com/index.php?/topic/1601-last-man-standing-dying-world/

Plus it has been stated by developers that they are open to attempting such campaign.

But a perma-death campaign where you'll actually lose your character isn't an option, just wouldn't work. Limited respawns prior to being thrown out of the campaign however, is.

What if rather then rather then permadeath slain players become pseudo monsters- in that campaign they lose the ability to harvest/craft, have their reward structure change to being based on number of "living" players killed- this approach prevents depopulation driven slowdown as the server progresses.

I actually like this idea for a Zombie ruleset, which would be super cool as a Halloween special ruleset.  A last-man-standing campaign, but players become zombies when they die... albeit, they're nerfed in movement attacks, no weapon, melee only etc...

I suppose you could even have a Ghost ruleset as well, similar to Zombie, but you retain your weapon and attacks (ranged ghosts exist).

Edited by Nyt

> Suddenly, a Nyt appears in the discussion...

Why would you die the first day? I mean if you were really bad at the game maybe... and you lose the time you put into the world for the resources and rewards. 

There is always one person who has to die first, when the world is covered in fog and you don't know where anyone is yet, You might end up at the an enemy basse by accident and get jumped upon even the worlds best player can be the first to die.

...obstacles do not exist to be surrendered to, but only to be broken. "***** ******"
I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion. "Alexander the Great"

Would love a guild war perma death ruleset. If the winning condition were conquered territory instead of just surviving people can't just turtle would have to acutally fight at some point.

Would love a guild war perma death ruleset. If the winning condition were conquered territory instead of just surviving people can't just turtle would have to acutally fight at some point.

You could also require food consumption as a harsh campaign rule, and then when the world becomes more desolate, turtling would just kill you. You would have to strike out in search of food and supplies and inevitably run into the hunger enraged beasts or the other survivors who collected more supplies than you during the earlier seasons.

The issue with permanent deaths is in the fact of the game then becoming a Rogue-like which defeats the purpose of the eternal heroes and dying worlds. It can't be done well with this concept design, and the developers would need a system to save certain things that can be progressed if you have permanent death characters.

If we only disable the character over a period, it is no longer classified as permanent.

Edited by Code2Protect

I think you missed the point, Code. The hero is eternal. They are just dead to that campaign. Can't enter it again. It is, as I posted on page 1 of this thread, something the devs are not only open to but suggesting in their own documents to us.

From the Campaign and Kingdom FAQ:

21. How open are you guys to trying new ideas within Campaigns?

Our intention is to make this a community-driven process. We’ll come up with ideas, you guys will come up with ideas – and we’ll take the best ideas we find, wherever they come from, and we’ll give them a shot.

If an idea gains enough traction – meaning we like it, and you guys like it – we’ll try it**.

(**so long as it fits within the architecture. We just have to be careful that we don’t break the game at the meta-level.)

• You want to try a world with no magic? Cool.
  • You want to try a world where we introduce gun power? Sounds interesting.
  • You want to try a world where each character only has one life – meaning that if you die once, you are permanently banned from the World? (I call this idea “Campaign Permadeath”)… Sure, let’s try it.
  • That’s the cool thing about this approach. We’re turning our game community into a massive, game-designing hivemind.
  • We’re game, if you are.

I'm in this for the Experience, not the XP.

Don't be such a Scarebear. There will be more campaigns. And Permadeath campaigns will not be for everyone. No need to be ashamed.

Oh is there any risk? You make your character. You will die the first day. You really lose nothing. Just an instanced meaningless battleground.

Sorry, but you're gonna die. That's just the nature of it. The campaign will end in like a day rendering little point.

Risk/reward and a requirement to think.

I know must carebears will be sitting in their safeholds afraid to die. That's just the nature of it.

Who says there will be safeholds anywhere in the game? Those are the Eternal Kingdoms.

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)

Every permadeath game ends the same way.  No one goes anywhere unless they have their giant zerg of friends.

People who are stupid enough to fail to follow this natural order of things end up on the permadeath list within weeks.  Same with those who engage in combat against an unknown opponent without first scouting out his abilities and potential.  There's Bravery! and then there's just plain Ignorance.  Stacking the odds against you isn't admirable, it's foolish.

Once people have figured out the math behind the game by sacrificing wave after wave of their own men at them, spec groups dominate the game and never even attempt anything remotely dangerous unless they're 100% certain they'll come out victorious.

And that's before multiple accounts come into play.... how many junk characters and mining bots can you afford to lose on scouting missions?  As many as it takes.

Pretty sure that in "permadeath" rulesets, once your character dies, they're removed from the campaign and free to enter a new one, join an existing one, or enjoy a nice cold ale in the pub within their EK.

> Suddenly, a Nyt appears in the discussion...

(I just pictured a single player watching his last few friends being cut down next to him as he grabs a golden chalice which ends the world for a victory)

Every permadeath game ends the same way.  No one goes anywhere unless they have their giant zerg of friends.

People who are stupid enough to fail to follow this natural order of things end up on the permadeath list within weeks.  Same with those who engage in combat against an unknown opponent without first scouting out his abilities and potential.  There's Bravery! and then there's just plain Ignorance.  Stacking the odds against you isn't admirable, it's foolish.

Once people have figured out the math behind the game by sacrificing wave after wave of their own men at them, spec groups dominate the game and never even attempt anything remotely dangerous unless they're 100% certain they'll come out victorious.

And that's before multiple accounts come into play.... how many junk characters and mining bots can you afford to lose on scouting missions?  As many as it takes.

That's why this one has a timer, remember? Eventually, they have to come out, or no one wins. Kinda in the design...

I'm in this for the Experience, not the XP.

I'm pretty sure we'll see this ruleset.

Battle Royale is just too popular in recent games not to have it here, and it's relatively simple to make.

Edited by Krethys

oiPOxr.jpg

Proud Member of KDS -

Recruitment Post - Visit us at www.kdsguild.org

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't see this suggested anywhere else, so I apologize if it has been. 

I really enjoy the dying world idea and the changing rule sets from world to world. One thing I have not seen mentioned is the possibility for certain worlds to have permanent death. Since there will be multiple worlds to join based on your personal game play choices, why not include very-high-stakes worlds that have a permanent death rule? Worst case scenario you just move on to another world once you have been killed. Best case scenario, you and your fellow players are striving to survive in a much more real sense. I would imagine that this world would work better with oppressive PvE conditions and/or major incentives to whatever organisation level is in the game rules (final surviving faction or guild). These worlds might end quicker than the stated 1 to 3 months if all the players are killed. If some players do survive until the victory conditions are met, then there could be a greater reward. (I just pictured a single player watching his last few friends being cut down next to him as he grabs a golden chalice which ends the world for a victory)

I am really hoping that this game mode makes it. The easy part to this is that you know what you are getting into when you join, so if you don't like the idea, don't join the world. 

Any thoughts?

^^^^^This.