Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mourne

After the "us v them" thread lock...

I realize the volatile circumstances in a W/P101 community and SB community comming together.

Something occurred to me while reading through the, now locked, "odd bedfellow" thread.  The contention between some of the SB community (and I say "some" because, despite these initial forum appearances, there are SB guilds that disallow ooc trash talk, and mandate sportsmanship) seems to come down to how the "game" is being perceived by either side.

Because SB was such a cutthroat game - essentially a political/war-sim of sorts - some SB players have a hard time not treating the game as a war.  "Those are your enemies.  You don't make nice and be sportsmanlike to your enemies." 

Then there are others that view the SB experience more akin to a grand strategy game, where you can indeed be sportsmanlike with your opponents, even if rivalries do develop.  A nation leader can meet with an enemy nation leader irl and not break into a brawl ffs.  It's about being dimplomatic, and civilized, in an uncivilized world at war.

That schism now illuminated, I'm simply stating (from a SBer perspective, of course) that not all SB players treat opponents in the game as enemies in an actual war.  As I'm sure not all W/P101 players are incapable in PvP.  Don't let the trash talkers from either game somehow coopt the right to represent that game's past community, or speak for all SB or W/P 101 players.  And, more importantly, I certainly hope those that get their kicks from the trash talk itself don't result in turning away players from this game or its concepts/design decisions purely out of dislike for a loud board-warrior presense. 

Generally, I avoid the boards when I'm playing games such as that.  I let my **** speak for itself on the field of battle, win or lose.  Obviously, there is currently no game to play, so people are funneling into this volatile situation by the day. 

TL;DR There are asshats from both games.  Don't let the asshats be the vocal representatives for a larger less vocal mature community.  Rather, recognize that is what is occurring, and take flame wars with a grain of salt.

"Food for the crows..."    Nobuo Xa'el

cdinUTh.png

I realize the volatile circumstances in a W/P101 community and SB community comming together.

Something occurred to me while reading through the, now locked, "odd bedfellow" thread.  The contention between some of the SB community (and I say "some" because, despite these initial forum appearances, there are SB guilds that disallow ooc trash talk, and mandate sportsmanship) seems to come down to how the "game" is being perceived by either side.

Because SB was such a cutthroat game - essentially a political/war-sim of sorts - some SB players have a hard time not treating the game as a war.  "Those are your enemies.  You don't make nice and be sportsmanlike to your enemies." 

Then there are others that view the SB experience more akin to a grand strategy game, where you can indeed be sportsmanlike with your opponents, even if rivalries do develop.  A nation leader can meet with an enemy nation leader irl and not break into a brawl ffs.  It's about being dimplomatic, and civilized, in an uncivilized world at war.

That schism now illuminated, I'm simply stating (from a SBer perspective, of course) that not all SB players treat opponents in the game as enemies in an actual war.  As I'm sure not all W/P101 players are incapable in PvP.  Don't let the trash talkers from either game somehow coopt the right to represent that game's past community, or speak for all SB or W/P 101 players.  And, more importantly, I certainly hope those that get their kicks from the trash talk itself don't result in turning away players from this game or its concepts/design decisions purely out of dislike for a loud board-warrior presense. 

Generally, I avoid the boards when I'm playing games such as that.  I let my **** speak for itself on the field of battle, win or lose.  Obviously, there is currently no game to play, so people are funneling into this volatile situation by the day. 

TL;DR There are asshats from both games.  Don't let the asshats be the vocal representatives for a larger less vocal mature community.  Rather, recognize that is what is occurring, and take flame wars with a grain of salt.

I feel like some players need to realize that disliking someone in a game, and harassing others out of the game are two different things. Some players need to realize a game is just... a game.

EOWWuhQ.png 

I think we as Shadowbane players need to step back from whatever it is that we think SB was and understand that building a great community is what makes the experience so awesome for everyone.  It doesn't mean you can't be a ruthless killer in game, but it does mean that a baseline level of civility and respect for others will probably be the difference between a fun or a toxic experience across the board.

If you were a Shadowbane player, more than likely you're an adult at this point...so....act like one? :P

Your milkshake lures all the fine folks to the yard. Verily, it is better than mine. Surely it is better than mine. Would you teach me, or would you levy a fee? - Integ

well now...

as an avowed asshat that has picked more fights from pure Forumbane than most over the years let me pretty much agree with mourne here

yeah, we SBers can be abrasive, derisive, abusive and pugnacious in the pure rhetoric used for the rapacious pursuit of our Goal....PvP

does this scare away some and inflame others? you bet yer bippy it does...such is the point, yes?

that being said, i know of few other Guilds in SB that caused the sheer volume of ruckus that say...QFT did, but here's one most don't remember from all of that...

most times if the Fight was done and it was "hey good fights we'll get you next time" without any trash talk...QFT would sell the Defender's back their city for the expense of the Bane (and some cash for the Players)...always at a much cheaper price than rebuilding....unless there was some real "heat", never woudl a last City be taken making that guild/nation Homeless...and unless it was a strategic War, usually that Guild woudl be safe for a while from another Bane

this as opposed to the OPP style where Blasphemous woudl toss a dart at a map of Aerynth on his wall and whatever City was closest got Baned

soOOOoOOoooo....remember it's all in Fun, and try not to take anything on a Forum too cereally.....that's yer olde Doc's Rx

Excelsior!

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

It seems odd to me that people defend blatantly rude treatment of others as something that improved the community.  Maybe that's just me.  Then again, we're in the early days where we have absolutely no idea what the game holds.  We can only base assumptions on what we hear "SB players tend to be aggressive" "Wiz/Pirate players don't know how to PvP/aren't ready for the cutthroat game this will be" when the reality is we have no idea what's in store for another 46 days.

Once the game is out, I suspect a lot of this will work itself out as people who weren't cut out for this game will most likely fume and leave, returning to steam or wiz or whathaveyou. The people left will learn to coexist and figure out, hopefully, that saying you're the biggest baddest thing walking is either redundant or false :P

Until then, I suspect many people will just sit back and eat popcorn as we watch the way it unfolds.

thangyyy_zpsfc2cd9cc.png

It seems odd to me that people defend blatantly rude treatment of others as something that improved the community

Show me where an sb'er started it and I'll dedicate my avatar to an asshat.

Well, a different hat anyhow.

but here's one most don't remember from all of that...

most times if the Fight was done and it was "hey good fights we'll get you next time" without any trash talk...QFT would sell the Defender's back their city for the expense of the Bane (and some cash for the Players)...always at a much cheaper price than rebuilding....unless there was some real "heat", never woudl a last City be taken making that guild/nation Homeless...and unless it was a strategic War, usually that Guild woudl be safe for a while from another Bane

Nothing wrong with "relocating" the guild to a new location at your expense, if you wield the power.  A little Eminent Domain, if you will! B)

cdinUTh.png

Nothing wrong with "relocating" the guild to a new location at your expense, if you wield the power.  A little Eminent Domain, if you will! B)

true that...if we wanted the City for strategic purposes, another could be found...or we could be hired to take one of their choice...

the Point is that if folks were cool with us after the Fight, they got treated decently....if not, well THOSE stories everbody knows, eh?

it could have something to do with my Musical choices for Vent before the Bane....like this one due to being perfectly appropriate lyrically as well as sonically...

"we're taking over this Town..."

of course...us using Minos as a spec made it even funnier , imo

Excelsior!

FIQw0eP.png

Show me where an sb'er started it and I'll dedicate my avatar to an asshat.

Well, a different hat anyhow.

Well. Firstly, I didn't say that this was exclusive to an sb'er.  I know from a lot of experience there are a lot of Wizards crying about people on the forums being rude.  And a lot who are starting it.  That doesn't make it okay for wizards or sb'ers.  And I recognize it's something people do.  I don't see that changing.  It just bothers me that people feel like they can't own up to what it is--you're trying to prove yourself to be top dog (in a rather stupid way, of course).  No one is calling anyone a carebear or a bad pvper because they went "You know what will improve this place? If I insult someone!"  That's... just... not... true.  I don't mind a bit of trash talk.  I'm hesitant to partake, but of course it exists.

I can't find you where it started; I showed up last night and I don't think anyone can find a beginning of this, as it's become a chicken and the egg type thing. And I'm not keen to blame an entire community because a couple people don't know where the line between intimidating and looking like you're six is :P

thangyyy_zpsfc2cd9cc.png

The feeling I get from that song is interestingly the exact feeling I instinctively got when seeing 6 HA polearm minos clearly turning to focus one of my characters.  Like a freight train heading for my face.  Just my face.  All of the impact of a freight train across the surface of my face.

cdinUTh.png

The feeling I get from that song is interestingly the exact feeling I instinctively got when seeing 6 HA polearm minos clearly turning to focus one of my characters.  Like a freight train heading for my face.  Just my face.  All of the impact of a freight train across the surface of my face.

and yer olde Doc's job is done....

thas why i AM the one true Duke of URL!

Excelsior!

FIQw0eP.png

Honestly, I feel like most of the aggression in the SB community that is here are just excited about a new game they can finally play, hence the friendly banter (which is purely because they're pumped to play a game) however, don't quote me on this.

7lXqKFL.gif

Its already quite obvious how the colored names feel about the people coming over from Shadowbane.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

I would be curious to read some of the feedback J Todd received from the SBers after he went to Kings Isle. Did they support him or deride them?

The dynamic reminds me of the rivalry between siblings, actually. We ARE all in a weird way J Todd's gamer children, formed and grown from two very different parts of his aesthetic. 

I don't mind at all saying that the only reason I'm here is that I enjoy J Todd's work, I support his vision, and I'm curious to see what he has to offer in Crowfall. I trust the guy to show me a good time in any game he makes. This from someone who learned to love gaming from playing Wizard101.

We're sisters and brothers, y'all. 

Click your profile name>Click Manage Ignore Prefs>Find "Add a new user to my list" at the bottom of the page>Type in a username>Check options>Save Changes>Silence is bliss.

lmao....

i do so luv the sheer drama already

but, let it be noted...i am not among the first banned!

i must be slipping....

Excelsior!

FIQw0eP.png

lmao....

i do so luv the sheer drama already

but, let it be noted...i am not among the first banned!

i must be slipping....

Excelsior!

I would be completely amazed if WM didn't earn that first.

Honestly, I feel like most of the aggression in the SB community that is here are just excited about a new game they can finally play, hence the friendly banter (which is purely because they're pumped to play a game) however, don't quote me on this.

you know i hadda doooo eeeet!

/hides

Excelsior!

FIQw0eP.png