Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
legionof7

Npc Sentries And "squires"

Idk if you guys played ESO but having NPCs you can place is the worse idea ever, people would STACK them so hard it would be way too difficult for most groups to push past them and then you still gotta deal with the enemy group as well. I really dont like PvE mixed with my pvp battles honestly. Sure maybe a keep lord or something thats pretty strong but i dont see the point in guards.

I think the devs wrote somewhere that you cant just take a keep randomly thar is times where it is vulnerable to takeover. Correct me if im wrong. And if not either way this game is about teamwork in the end and that is going to extend past just guilds in any campaign. Your going to want coverage 24/7 

Edited by krevra

krevra.png

Interesting.

Perhaps you could choose to use them to patrol a personal area.(tie to building)

Or you could switch them to duty,which puts them under the command of the strategist (tie them to guild or whatever)

Make friends/allies with dirty nightcapping Oceanics :P or Euro guilds to help protect your castle,hire mercenary groups on a weekly or monthly rates etc or don't have one at all simple as that. How the Eternal Kingdoms turn out though is to soon to make opinions. Single individuals and small guilds shouldn't have castles in campaigns or be prepared to risk it all  because eventually all shall fall.

The only thing castles should have is defensive siege, real players, Non Combat NPC's vendors etc and whatever mechanism possibly only combat Strong NPC they have in the centres to take control/destroy it.

Point is you said so yourself "People can't always be in-game, so castles and buildings would be at extreme RISK while they were gone". 

EVE Online: 
Don't fly what you can't afford to lose
Crowfall: Don't build what you can't afford destroyed 

Edited by Bionics

NPC guards would be worth having if there is no other method of providing your fortress at least some security. There would be much rage if everyone loses what they build when going offline.

Crowfall: Don't build what you can't afford destroyed 

^^^  This.

Maybe it not about the happy ending. Maybe it's about the story.

RIP Doc Gonzo "to anyone...speak your mind...defend your position...be prepared for an Argument and enjoy the process of the discussion...that's all part of any good Forum experience"

Nothing wrong with NPC guards on a town as long as you can't overload a place with them. Shadowbane had a similar feature.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

Nothing wrong with NPC guards on a town as long as you can't overload a place with them. Shadowbane had a similar feature.

ya, but be honest, they were more than useless...

you used them to target AoEs sometimes during sieges, but that's it. They were alright in holding off 1 or 2 people but otherwise they were just braindead mobs in your city.

Might as well not have them.

We have to have Sentries! There is no other way to defend our land, when we are asleep.

You're under the impression that your land can be taken willynilly 24/7, right?

Of course! It can, different time-zones etc.

and your way of tackling that problem is by introducing NPCs, so strong, that they can fend off an entire siege force?

I'm just spit balling here but you could probably have a dynamic worked in that forces you to have to kill the people whom created the fortress in order to gain control of it that way your fortress can be taken when you are offline.

however I'm in favor of a system in which you only get one npc per character, and that is just your character when you have logged off. then your character can just wander and defend like stated above.

either of these solutions seems equally suitable to me but I would be more than glad to let you guys poke as may hole in it as possible.

and your way of tackling that problem is by introducing NPCs, so strong, that they can fend off an entire siege force?

Yep, it would force the siege team to think strategically in a way that computers never can. Also, each person would have a limited amount of NPC's so its not like you could stack a billion.

Edited by legionof7

I'm just spit balling here but you could probably have a dynamic worked in that forces you to have to kill the people whom created the fortress in order to gain control of it that way your fortress can be taken when you are offline.

however I'm in favor of a system in which you only get one npc per character, and that is just your character when you have logged off. then your character can just wander and defend like stated above.

either of these solutions seems equally suitable to me but I would be more than glad to let you guys poke as may hole in it as possible.

I like the second solution, the problem with the first is that someone could make an account, help create a fortress and never log back on.

I like the second solution, the problem with the first is that someone could make an account, help create a fortress and never log back on.

yeah I was kind of thinking that.

Yep, it would force the siege team to think strategically in a way that computers never can. Also, each person would have a limited amount of NPC's so its not like you could stack a billion.

I tried to give you a way out here, but I guess that failed...

go look up siege mechanics from similar games and re-think your whole approach.

I tried to give you a way out here, but I guess that failed...

go look up siege mechanics from similar games and re-think your whole approach.

What games do you recommend I look at?

I don't want NPCs being able to accompany the players in battle. Just go and hire a Mercenary guild, player interactions are better for the game.

I agree with hiring a few guards for the night or while you wander away, while still risking to lose your stronghold to any proper raid if you don't go back and defend it yourself.

Edited by Krethys

oiPOxr.jpg

Proud Member of KDS -

Recruitment Post - Visit us at www.kdsguild.org