Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
aeroch

wp/sbg dev ppl

Did you give QFT gear too, Ashen?

haha, no. I think I ended up killing a lot of the, ahem, out of wack gear I could find and bringing everything in line with normal gear as much as possible. For example, there were rings created that had stats that rings were never intended to have and I nuked them. The challenge was each item was actually unique and we used a flat-file system instead of a database so it made tracking it all down a little harder. But I'm a big fan of letting skills and tactics dictate wins, not gear.

Sean aka Ashen Temper | http://www.seandahlberg.com/

Without the Player, there is no Game!

Great and informative read, but:

The idea the World being broken and Heaven being closed was engineered to give a narrative reason for why player characters respawn -- there is no afterlife, and the worlds are basically "limbo", an eternal battle.  Cool idea, right?  Meh.  As it turns out, players don't care at ALL why their avatars respawn.  So, I chalk this one up to "cool idea that pretty much only Meridian and I knew or cared about."

No way.  My friends and I recognized and appreciated that aspect a lot.  In fact, SB is the only fantasy game to my knowledge to account for respawns.  Much easier in a sci fi game when you can just say "clones" and move on.

"Food for the crows..."    Nobuo Xa'el

cdinUTh.png

Great and informative read, but:

No way.  My friends and I recognized and appreciated that aspect a lot.  In fact, SB is the only fantasy game to my knowledge to account for respawns.  Much easier in a sci fi game when you can just say "clones" and move on.

I also was one of a fair amount of people that read most, if not all, of the lore of Shadowbane. It's why I argued so much about lore  :P

UjY5zD0.png

I could read this background stuff for days! Only one way to make a thread stay on topic and shut us trolls up: developer speaking.

Amazing what transpires over a pizza and a napkin with Braveheart and Game of Thrones as an inspiration and getting the title from combining words at a library. Random Trivia is awesome.

I'm wondering if I'm right in assuming that Shadowbane's Elves (the best elves ever) were based off of Michael Moorcock's Melniboneans in any way? I remember Meridian once let slip that they were partly based off of the Noldor, particularly the Sons of Feanor, in Tolkien's Silmarillion.

Shadowbane - House Avari/Hy'shen
"Gimp elves get good elves killed." - Belina

Avari Discord - https://discord.gg/Bch24PV

The original idea started on a napkin over lunch at a Mr. Gatti's pizza between me and Josef Hall, and the characters were ALL going to be barbarians.

I play Pathfinder once a week, and for some reason this totally unrelated sentence reminds me, greatly, of one of the other players. (Okay, okay. I'm that player.)

+1 for the Myth: TFL and Shining Force mentions. Myth is my all-time favorite video game (sorry, Shadowbane). Dorfs throwing moloctovs into masses of thralls, mmmmm.....

I didn't know that about the Game of Thrones inspiration. I (like most of everyone else) read the books only after HBO popularized it.

just an Eldreth

Myth is one of my favorite games as well. The connection makes sense.

It is pretty cool to see some of the back story to why certain decisions were made.

I always wondered why the original box had a mino wielding SB. In fact, I think the only box that made sense was the Oblivion box...

I also liked the reasoning for respawning at ToLs.

C4sIZDW.gif

Million dollar question!

Why were Rangers so poorly made socks and never given any role or unique buffing to make them useful.

Near the end Id say there was about 5 of us left who even bothered with the class lol

Million dollar question!

Why were Rangers so **** and never given any role or unique buffing to make them useful.

Near the end Id say there was about 5 of us left who even bothered with the class lol

My first character was a ranger. Played that thing forever. Chants were soooooo bad at release.

C4sIZDW.gif

That was a great read, thanks JTodd. Please share some more if you get bored working one day!

I can't really think of any specific questions, Ashen. I'd love to hear more stories and trivia if you fee like posting!

NFC 4 LYFE / KNIGHTS OF SILVERMOON / LEGACY OF BRUTALITY / CULT OF THE HY'PHY / THE REPTILIANS

nUWOFCL.png

You guys are really bad at reading.

He said "buy me a beer in Austin and we can talk about this all day."

It is interesting reading about decisions and how you got there.

haha, no. I think I ended up killing a lot of the, ahem, out of wack gear I could find and bringing everything in line with normal gear as much as possible. For example, there were rings created that had stats that rings were never intended to have and I nuked them. The challenge was each item was actually unique and we used a flat-file system instead of a database so it made tracking it all down a little harder. But I'm a big fan of letting skills and tactics dictate wins, not gear.

You missed a few  B)

nAd1VPD.png

"Agelmar is King of the Hypocrites and Ruler of the Kingdom of Hypocrytia"

- The Irekei, the desert elves, really took off because the community decided to invest in them.  I'm not even sure why we cooked up the idea of desert elves, originally.  but it was one of those ideas that you throw out there and it just resonates and before you know it, it's a major part of your game.  So we started to cook up more content for them.

Thanks for sharing!

Back in my DnD PnP days, I always thought Elves were pretty much the suck. Mostly due to the guys I played with. They were really namby pampy is probably the polite thing to say. Mostly to piss them off, I made a Dark Elf and would always attack them instead of the mobs. Kind of found my calling, being the Anti-Elf and Bad guy.

Fast forward to my first time logging into Shadowbane and making my first character. There were some very interesting choices and options available for race but something drew me to the Irekei. They just sounded pretty bad ass and hateful to me. Having good memories of being an Anti-Elf, made being an Irekei seem a natural fit.

My first time in Khar was almost a spiritual experience. The music, the architecture, it felt like coming home in a wierd way. Especially since it was my first time. I had to run and check every tent. Ran around the whole wall. Was even lurking behind the big wall rugs in the bank.

No other zone had ever given me the same feeling like the desert had.

One building in Khar changed my life so much that I just have to share. This was where I ran into Tuvesh The Sun Dancer.

Also, the story of Khar'ubar was what inspired me to use the name Vrek. For those who don't know Irekei, Vrek means Traitor.

NtV3Yyf.jpg

alxOTTb.jpg

lRxp5ep.jpg

YARkoWq.jpg

nDesVYz.jpg

ClbvvE2.jpg

B0RpLB1.jpg

P.S.

Is there a way to add Previews? If I knew how I would add them to these images.

Edited by ghirular x

- Centaurs made the cut, because I think Centaurs are cool.  Especially when they are wearing plate or heavy horse barding.  Truthfully, I lifted the idea from Shining Force, and I've used it in ... well, every game that I've every done, actually.

Todd

ACE

So what you're saying is, I get to be a Centaur again!!!111

yayayyayayayay

First, we would never

protosig_zps963957f1.png

RIP Hili

I'm wondering if I'm right in assuming that Shadowbane's Elves (the best elves ever) were based off of Michael Moorcock's Melniboneans in any way? I remember Meridian once let slip that they were partly based off of the Noldor, particularly the Sons of Feanor, in Tolkien's Silmarillion.

Yeah, I like high elves that are cold hearted, even the heroes. Somewhere between Elric and Corum. I also like them to be a doomed and dying race, because that adds a layer of disconnected arrogance when it comes to the fate of (what they see as) the "lesser races". It just makes them more interesting.

J Todd Coleman

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

So Caeric killed Cambrium, amirite?

Also, Deathless Empire is best Empire.

Yes he did. There was a longer reason but essentially it came down to he disagreed with the attempted genocide (killing all the Elves) and thought it the only way to stop the war. Also, he (Caeric) never died.

Which did also point out that Malorn was a bit of a liar... which isn't a newsflash since most figured out the Temple of the Cleansing Flame wasn't really powered by the All-Father but another fiery "god".

That was a great read, thanks JTodd. Please share some more if you get bored working one day!

I can't really think of any specific questions, Ashen. I'd love to hear more stories and trivia if you fee like posting!

I have quite a few of our old lore docs. I should probably throw some of it up on my site because, truth be told, it's sad to no longer see it get read. In fact, rummaging through some of my old folders, I found the History of Aerynth and The Master Timeline of the Five Great Ages. It's about 40 pages just between those two...

Sean aka Ashen Temper | http://www.seandahlberg.com/

Without the Player, there is no Game!