Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
aeroch

wp/sbg dev ppl

The idea the World being broken and Heaven being closed was engineered to give a narrative reason for why player characters respawn -- there is no afterlife, and the worlds are basically "limbo", an eternal battle.  Cool idea, right?  Meh.  As it turns out, players don't care at ALL why their avatars respawn.  So, I chalk this one up to "cool idea that pretty much only Meridian and I knew or cared about."

I always thought this was a overlooked awesome piece of game lore just FYI todd I at least enjoyed it and always make a point when i explain shadowbane to friends that "There is a reason you respawn!!"

Edited by dajjal

questions for tod

1. There were quest in the beta, what was the vision of a quest system in shadowbane ( i can't imagine it )

2. After the release of the game did ubisoft ( or yourselves ) ever consider making major changes to the game if so what were some of the best ideas thrown around?

3. ( this for ashen as well ) I remember watching a discussion video near the end of the Stray Bullet Games era about giving the players to much freedom in a game like shadowbane and that it made expansions difficult to add because the only way to add any PVE content would be to add another land mass. with that said what was the long term vision for shadowbane?

4. How hard was it fighting the duped gear & gold on the live servers. any funny stories behind this?

5. while working on shadowbane did you guys have any idea on the beast that blizzard would unleash on the world?

6. did you guys have your own custom server to play on any funny stories if so? or did you guys ever play on live?

thanks!!

I didn't know that about the Game of Thrones inspiration. I (like most of everyone else) read the books only after HBO popularized it.

Somewhere along the line during the development of the SB, I believe it was Ashen who was asked what he likes to read and Game of Thrones was mentioned.  Taking his advice I picked up the available books at the time.  I'm sorta surprised it took so long to become popularized. Well, maybe George R.R. Martin will write a little quicker with HBO pushing for content (or will they have to make up their own conclusion to the series?).

rSHxVEY.gif

Somewhere along the line during the development of the SB, I believe it was Ashen who was asked what he likes to read and Game of Thrones was mentioned.  Taking his advice I picked up the available books at the time.  I'm sorta surprised it took so long to become popularized. Well, maybe George R.R. Martin will write a little quicker with HBO pushing for content (or will they have to make up their own conclusion to the series?).

HBO asked him to write faster, he told them to stuff it he writes at his own pace. From what I remember from the article that came from the last full book in the series is supposed to last like 3 seasons in TV time.

Told y'all Malorn was a liar. Cut the middleman and get your fiery blessings directly from the source. The true power of the Flame is not Malorn's!

It is my duty to cleanse this land of the unworthy. It is my goal to make this world burn. Your tainted flesh shall kindle the flames.

smf_banner_copy4_copy.jpg

Told y'all Malorn was a liar. Cut the middleman and get your fiery blessings directly from the source. The true power of the Flame is not Malorn's!

Towards the end I was in and out and I think I missed the big reveal, so who was it that was the power backing the Temple? The Dragon?

It was never officially revealed, but yeah it was the Dragon.

Come on Ashen, confirm it publicly at last!

OCC needs to eat a little ummm crow... ;)

It is my duty to cleanse this land of the unworthy. It is my goal to make this world burn. Your tainted flesh shall kindle the flames.

Burn! Heretic!

nAd1VPD.png

"Agelmar is King of the Hypocrites and Ruler of the Kingdom of Hypocrytia"

question for wp/sbg ppl:

if you could go back in time and create one final shutdown event for SB to wrap everything up, and you had all the time, budget, staff, etc., required to get it done right, and ignoring any client restrictions that might get in the way of this hypothetical, what would that event entail? what would have happened? 

NFC 4 LYFE / KNIGHTS OF SILVERMOON / LEGACY OF BRUTALITY / CULT OF THE HY'PHY / THE REPTILIANS

nUWOFCL.png

questions for tod

1. There were quest in the beta, what was the vision of a quest system in shadowbane ( i can't imagine it )

2. After the release of the game did ubisoft ( or yourselves ) ever consider making major changes to the game if so what were some of the best ideas thrown around?

3. ( this for ashen as well ) I remember watching a discussion video near the end of the Stray Bullet Games era about giving the players to much freedom in a game like shadowbane and that it made expansions difficult to add because the only way to add any PVE content would be to add another land mass. with that said what was the long term vision for shadowbane?

4. How hard was it fighting the duped gear & gold on the live servers. any funny stories behind this?

5. while working on shadowbane did you guys have any idea on the beast that blizzard would unleash on the world?

6. did you guys have your own custom server to play on any funny stories if so? or did you guys ever play on live?

thanks!!

I imagine Todd will chime in when he can but here my .02.

1. The only quests we really had at the time were Feature Character quests... I think that is when we did the “Search for the Stones” which was an event targeted at a specific group of players, but that will range across a wide area of the Beta World. Operating on a “Treasure Hunt” model, a pair of Feature Characters will organize and lead characters on an expedition from the City of King’s Cross up to the Mountains of the Giants. The two Feature Characters: Rolf Sledge-Fingers, an old Dwarf who has come to this fragment seeking a powerful item, and his clanmate Krum Fellhammer. The group will have encounters along the road, and finally battle the Giants in the wilds of the North. The presence of Zion nearby may have interesting political repercussions as well.

2. In the early days, truth be told, a lot of attention was geared much more towards stability (both client and server). Outside of that, there were the normal stuff (new races, classes, disc) but more so looking at systems that were more dynamic such as Shrines, Battlefield Alliances, etc. Personally, one of the things I wanted to do but never really was able was to only do bug fixes in production for about 6 months and just re-engineer the server and client using all the lessons learned. Unfortunately, that would of made is go "dark" for too long a time and wasn't perceived to be feasible.

3. The original goal (at least as far as memory serves me... and we all know how well that can go, heh) was for each server to actually have its own distinct landmass and to allow players to travel from realm to realm via the gate system. Unfortunately, that didn't pan out. So that did put us in a bit of a bind when trying to introduce new zones into existing worlds and the best way to do so was to create new land masses instead of just replacing areas in the old ones (although we did the latter, too). For me, at least, it was getting back to the original vision of having multiple worlds and allowing people (or more so guilds) to traverse them. Another idea I wanted was for a strict loreplay server where the Feature Characters were more involved in the world. One of the things I loved about the Shadowbane Community was the politics and the stories the players themselves were writing. Having a world where we could dedicate more resources to that seemed like a fun idea to me.

4. Due to the fact that we used a flat-file system instead of a database, it was INSANELY hard. People found some ingenious ways not just to create dupes gold and items but how to then hide them. For example, if I have 1,000 gold and then dupe it but then combine it to create a pile of 2,000 gold, it became a new item. Not so fun.

5. I had (and still have) some friends over there so I knew it would be great... I mean, it's Blizzard. But I don't think anyone, including Blizzard, realized the juggernaut they would release and how it would define the MMO industry.

6. Quite a few of us played on production (live) servers. Personally, I thought that was invaluable. If you don't play the game you make, how can you know what is fun about it and what is broken. That said, one of my most memorable game play sessions had to do with pre-beta. There was mainly just a lot of Wolfpack and a lot of Ubisoft people on there playing. One day Everett, myself, and I forget who else made some characters that everyone thought was Ubisoft... basically names with Ubi in them like Ubi40 or other lame attempts. Anyways, we kept PKing other Wolfpackers and listening to them in the office as they would get so worked up about it... until finally someone looked at the account names and boom, we were busted. But it was hilarious at the time.

Sean aka Ashen Temper | http://www.seandahlberg.com/

Without the Player, there is no Game!

Irekei and the temple, best buds for life.

Correct. The Dragon felt the Irekei were a failed attempt to serve the goals so the Temple was introduced. I have to have Meridian's explanation of it around here somewhere so I'll see if I can dig that up.

question for wp/sbg ppl:

if you could go back in time and create one final shutdown event for SB to wrap everything up, and you had all the time, budget, staff, etc., required to get it done right, and ignoring any client restrictions that might get in the way of this hypothetical, what would that event entail? what would have happened?

Wow, that would be a hard one. Just thinking off the cuff, I'd say bringing the sword Shadowbane into the world and having a final showdown between the gods... a Ragnarök of sorts determined by the players.

Correct. The Dragon felt the Irekei were a failed attempt to serve the goals so the Temple was introduced. I have to have Meridian's explanation of it around here somewhere so I'll see if I can dig that up.

I can die happy now. Thanks!

Finally the walls of the Temple shall crumble. The followers of the False, now you have been unblinded. I await for you in the sands.

I look forward to burning you for that comment, heretic!

CF_Van.png

You're next.

Fire no longer favors your tyrant. SMF is the new order. And the world shall burn, so feel free to strike the first spark if you must, but do not doubt that all it will do is serve the Dragon's Will. Any action you take to serve the Liar, is one that favors me.

Welcome to the end of an era.

Wow, that would be a hard one. Just thinking off the cuff, I'd say bringing the sword Shadowbane into the world and having a final showdown between the gods... a Ragnarök of sorts determined by the players.

One of the Beta builds ended with a Feature Character event that featured a bunch of massive daemons leading players into a siege.  I can't find any notes on what went down, but I did find a few screenshots that I took!

83n8lD3.jpg

nQCftVN.jpg

rSHxVEY.gif

1. The only quests we really had at the time were Feature Character quests... I think that is when we did the “Search for the Stones” which was an event targeted at a specific group of players, but that will range across a wide area of the Beta World. Operating on a “Treasure Hunt” model, a pair of Feature Characters will organize and lead characters on an expedition from the City of King’s Cross up to the Mountains of the Giants. The two Feature Characters: Rolf Sledge-Fingers, an old Dwarf who has come to this fragment seeking a powerful item, and his clanmate Krum Fellhammer. The group will have encounters along the road, and finally battle the Giants in the wilds of the North. The presence of Zion nearby may have interesting political repercussions as well.

So, just to say, these FC events were FRIGGIN' AWESOME. Its unfortunate so few actually were able to participate  My favorite story/quest events in an MMO were:

1. An event in early UO (I think beta) where a GM spawned wave after wave of orcs and overran a portion of the map, roleplaying the entire time. 
  2. Collectively the Shadowbane FC system.  No pre-canned quest content.  Completely interactive.  And insanely expensive in terms of brainpower (the Devs were the ones at the wheel).

So while I am digging up old stuff, here is a narrative I wrote about The Undead Tower event (Beta build 3.3):

Cast of FCs:

Sansa the Slayer- undead  skeleton archer

Theorus the Bloody- skeleton in armor

Saram the Ghoulish-  big ugly blob

Grimjaws the Unclean- another ugly blob

Naagash Narzuul-Semoth- floating caster

Narrative regarding the fate of the city:

When the sounds of battle had faded, the bane circle was no more, and the tree of Tir Aelendar once again wrapped its powers of protection around the city, the question left was what to do with the city.  The Undead Lords offered ownership of the city to The Stillborn in order to carry the fight into the heart of the enemy’s lands. 

Bone Dancer consulted with his captains and they quickly determined that Tir Aelendar could very well be more of a burden than an advantage.  Cities are incredibly expensive to maintain, even more so than the initial purchase price.  And the time commitment that would be necessary to provide an adequate defense of this outpost would sorely tax their ability to collect the resources they needed to pay the maintenance costs on now two cities.  For once your crest flies over a city, the political price for allowing that tree to die can be quite high.  For these reasons it could not be.

Bone Dancer looked around him and his eyes came to rest upon the mighty Minotaurs who had, in Morloch’s name, who now had come to his aid twice.  They had no home of their own, biding their time under the protection of Redemption.  The crafty Dancer of Bones decided to rid himself of this burden while reaffirming his relationship with Morloch’s followers.

“I deferred this town to the Morloch horde. Their iron fisted minotaurs proved powerful in both events. Kyrel, Redhand, and the Horde were an equal part of last night’s victory.”

~Bone Dancer, The Stillborn

While some of those defeated outside the walls of Tir Aelendar cried against the injustice of such a rich prize falling into the hands of another, Bone Dancer breathed a sigh of relief and marched his army back to Salem.

D8l9y6w.jpg

18Cze17.jpg

NP9V40R.jpg

aq1Rhce.jpg

Edited by ren

rSHxVEY.gif

Yeah, I like high elves that are cold hearted, even the heroes. Somewhere between Elric and Corum. I also like them to be a doomed and dying race, because that adds a layer of disconnected arrogance when it comes to the fate of (what they see as) the "lesser races". It just makes them more interesting.

Yeah that doomed, stubborn pride is just so...cool. I hope we have a similar race in Crowfall.

Shadowbane - House Avari/Hy'shen
"Gimp elves get good elves killed." - Belina

Avari Discord - https://discord.gg/Bch24PV