Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
aeroch

wp/sbg dev ppl

You cannot dual wield on mages unless you're irekei or elf, Gandalf would probably be consider a human. Shadowbane humans don't die, they get reincarnated.

Edited by evald

You cannot dual wield on mages unless you're irekei or elf, Gandalf would probably be consider a human. Shadowbane humans don't die, they get reincarnated.

Wasn't there a rune that allowed you to Dual-Wield? I can't remember if it had (Base) Class restrictions or not, just that it had a DEX requirement.

Sean aka Ashen Temper | http://www.seandahlberg.com/

Without the Player, there is no Game!

Wasn't there a rune that allowed you to Dual-Wield? I can't remember if it had (Base) Class restrictions or not, just that it had a DEX requirement.

Ambi, dont think it worked with Mages. (50 dex min, and I think 10-12 stat pointsto apply)

Edited by zoopz

Ambi, dont think it worked with Mages. (50 dex min, and I think 10-12 stat pointsto apply)

but you could always take sundancer or bladewweaver and then dual weild...

hey, it was worth it before they removed stylecasting, extra atr and dam don'tcha know

Excelsior!

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

Huh.  Let's see if I can pull this thread back on-topic.  

Highly doubtful.   but here goes. 

When we started Shadowbane, we had two main inspirations: (1) Braveheart, specifically the cinematic battle sequences which (at the time) were unbelievably cool, and (2) an obscure book series known at Game of Thrones.  In fact, the original Carnage.Net website had quotes from the book series all over it, because we didn't know we shouldn't do that, and we thought it was cool.   The original idea started on a napkin over lunch at a Mr. Gatti's pizza between me and Josef Hall, and the characters were ALL going to be barbarians.

- Our first playable version was called "Carnage" and was 2D.  It was horrendously bad.  We dropped that quickly, and started working on a 3D engine that looked like Myth: The Fallen Lords.

- Josef and I came up with the name "Shadowbane" by going to a book store and looking through the fantasy section for inspiration.  We were combining words from different books and we thought SB sounded cool.

- Originally, "Shadowbane" wasn't a sword.  It was a secret society of heroes fighting evil.  Later we ditched that idea, and made it a blade that was sort of a cross between Excaliber and Stormbringer in our mythology.

- the actual sword, "Shadowbane", didn't exist in the game.  We never even made the 3D object.  Our idea was to make it a relic that caused permadeath on everyone who touched it -- you could wield it, and if you killed someone with it, their character was wiped!  BUT if you died while wielding it, YOUR character was deleted.  and the blade would fall to the ground, for the next guy to pick up.  I still think this idea has amazing, untapped griefing potential.

Here are some other random inspirations that you can see scattered throughout the narrative and design:

- the character creation system was heavily influences by Gurps.  Especially the point-driven customization system, and the Talents & Traits, our take on an "advantages and disadvantages" system.

- the combat system was heavily influenced by Rolemaster, which was one of James' favorite pen & paper game systems.  James is brilliant at this stuff, and his combat still kind of amazes me.  He is, IMO, one of the the best systems designer in the world.  

- The idea of procedurally generating the world/terrain was born partially out of "this is cool" and partially out of the fact that we didn't have enough artists to build the world by hand.  We implemented it about the same time as Star Wars Galaxies, and it's interesting that they ended up having a lot of the same benefits and headaches that we did.  

- This type of world generation has been largely left behind in MMO design, because WoW showed everyone how amazing custom-crafted zones can be, and so everyone lost interest.  and then along comes Minecraft.  Everything old is new again, right?

- The original plan was to use the procedural generation system to make each World unique.  That turned out to be a nightmare, so we fell back to one world for launch.  and even getting that done was a mess.  

- We also planned to have dungeons at launch.  the system didn't work, so we cut it.  on retrospect, "dungeones" is kind of a big feature to leave on the cutting room floor.

- The Aracoix (bird men) race was created because we thought the birdmen in Flash Gordon were cool.  We gave them bird heads, though, because... I dunno, why not?

- The Minotaur race was not particularly important in the lore.  Ubi had the right to make the cover art for the game, and they decided to put a minotaur on the cover and have him wielding Shadowbane (the sword), which makes absolutely no sense in the backstory.

- Centaurs made the cut, because I think Centaurs are cool.  Especially when they are wearing plate or heavy horse barding.  Truthfully, I lifted the idea from Shining Force, and I've used it in ... well, every game that I've every done, actually.

- The Greymen and the Templars were inspired by the Wheel of Time series.

- The idea the World being broken and Heaven being closed was engineered to give a narrative reason for why player characters respawn -- there is no afterlife, and the worlds are basically "limbo", an eternal battle.  Cool idea, right?  Meh.  As it turns out, players don't care at ALL why their avatars respawn.  So, I chalk this one up to "cool idea that pretty much only Meridian and I knew or cared about."

- I came up with the idea of giving the different realms/shards names like "Mourning" and "Vengeance" because I thought it was cooler than a bunch of random fantasy sounding names like "Teregonia."  I still think it absolutely was the right call.  The names were cooler, more easy to remember, went a long way to reinforcing the vision and personality of the game.

- The Irekei, the desert elves, really took off because the community decided to invest in them.  I'm not even sure why we cooked up the idea of desert elves, originally.  but it was one of those ideas that you throw out there and it just resonates and before you know it, it's a major part of your game.  So we started to cook up more content for them.

- Shadowbane had 7 publishers between inception and release.  I still think this is a record for major publishing partners held by a single released title.  Those companies include: Quasi World, Swing/Conspiracy Games, God Games, Take 2, Ubi, En-Tranz, and E1 media.  I'm not including the sub-licensing partners in that list, like KBK in Korea, Matrix in China, etc.

- The game debuted at #3 on the Top 10 bestselling PC games list.  Not bad!  Unfortunately, it feel off quickly thereafter.  

anyway, I think that's enough for now...?  

I could fill this forum with posts about SB, and while it's fun to talk about over a beer, it's also a massive time sink.  

If you guys find this stuff interesting, I'll post more random trivia again some other time... but right now I need to get back to making Crowfall.

Todd

ACE

Thanks Todd!!

Looking forward to more from the past!

History is always fascinating!!

Heres my question for the devs:

How were you able to run an MMO for years just off the revenue of McDonalds ads?

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

My god when procs did not require you to actually hit...

Made my BW proccing priest sooo good. She was still decent after that change because her high int got her atr up fairly high on the swords but it just wasn't nearly as good against rogues.

Still would catch rogues off guard with the amount of damage that thing could do.

C4sIZDW.gif

ooh, another question: Why were hones (forgemaster, udh, sader/assy/etc class proc on weapon) not able to be done without putting the item in the inventory?

Created some risk to doing it.  Hone a weapon without checking track and a thief steals it.  It was a good decision.

nAd1VPD.png

"Agelmar is King of the Hypocrites and Ruler of the Kingdom of Hypocrytia"

Understood the risk. Just curious if it was a design flaw or an intentional feature.

I believe it was intentional (or maybe we just convinced ourselves that it was, hehe). You can target items not in your inventory but we made it so you could only do buffs for those in your inventory. But one of the power toggles was "MUST BE IN INVENTORY" which was a Y/N. Which worked out well because later on we introduced siege engine buffs which didn't quite fit in your inventory when summoned :)

Granted, siege engines were pretty much pets...

Edited by ashentemper

I believe it was intentional (or maybe we just convinced ourselves that it was, hehe). You can target items not in your inventory but we made it so you could only do buffs for those in your inventory. But one of the power toggles was "MUST BE IN INVENTORY" which was a Y/N. Which worked out well because later on we introduced siege engine buffs which didn't quite fit in your inventory when summoned :)

Granted, siege engines were pretty much pets...

I know when they were working on sieges for emulators, finding out that they literally worked like rooted pets was funny. They walked(slid) around when they weren't rooted and also would get very mad if you attacked them or buffed them and could kill you very fast prior to their damage type being changed.

Not sure why I expected them to be unlike normal NPCs. The flower mobs slid around too.

Edited by phylor

C4sIZDW.gif

I know when they were working on sieges for emulators, finding out that they literally worked like rooted pets was funny. They walked(slid) around when they weren't rooted and also would get very mad if you attacked them or buffed them and could kill you very fast prior to their damage type being changed.

Not sure why I expected them to be unlike normal NPCs. The flower mobs slid around too.

Best part of beta were the siege trains heading to a city.  Could you imagine the LoLs when mangonels were buffed against people but were mobile.

The mobile machine gun mangonels.  Sounds like a good punk band name.

nAd1VPD.png

"Agelmar is King of the Hypocrites and Ruler of the Kingdom of Hypocrytia"

I can die happy now. Thanks!

Finally the walls of the Temple shall crumble. The followers of the False, now you have been unblinded. I await for you in the sands.

I will have to adjust my own lore with this one.  It does give me the answer to why Malorns son got lead of the temple after Malorn is killed by the Dragon: it was a splinter off the main Temple.  I can't break the curse now though (the turning) since Malron isn't really tied to it and is just another victim of Shadowbane (with the Dragons help).

Best part of beta were the siege trains heading to a city.  Could you imagine the LoLs when mangonels were buffed against people but were mobile.

The mobile machine gun mangonels.  Sounds like a good punk band name.

Truth be told, I was sad to see the rolling trebs get removed in place of their stationary kin. Especially back before there was a War Tent when you essentially had to get the Treb in your city and walk it over to the enemies city.